is this appropriate to put inside of a cache?

If it looks really real I wouldn't do it. Years ago an out of town owner asked for the next finder to remove a rubber snake from his cache because of many complaining emails. I took it out and threw it on my work bench at home and it gave me a jolt EVERY time I saw it....finally threw it in the trash.

I found a cache which was obviously under the suspicious pile of rocks. When I moved the top rock there was a huge red-bellied black snake under it. I jumped a good foot into the air but when I landed I realised it was rubber and the cache was a bison tube in a space hollowed out of the snake's underside.

Gave it an FP!

There's also a cache with an ammo can near the Comedy Barn.

That sounds like a better choice for a cache with a fake snake in it. :lol:

That's what I was thinking. I suppose a practical joke is still a joke and anything comedy related in that cache would be appropriate. I wonder if anyone has ever put fake dog poo in it. If I recall, the cache was pretty full when I found it.

Anyway, here's the cache: Big Red Barn of Laughs

Check out the most recent log by Liam.

I wouldn't put it in somebody else's cache. If you want to put it in your own cache that would be fine. If it's meant to scare people and then amuse them it sounds like it should be part of the hide, more than just ordinary swag. It's not cool to change other people's hides.

I wouldn't consider it changing someone else's cache. It's just a bit of swag. A rubber snake is just a toy.

I wouldn't put it in somebody else's cache. If you want to put it in your own cache that would be fine. If it's meant to scare people and then amuse them it sounds like it should be part of the hide, more than just ordinary swag. It's not cool to change other people's hides.

I wouldn't consider it changing someone else's cache. It's just a bit of swag. A rubber snake is just a toy.

If it is put in the cache to scare someone, doesn't matter if it is a toy. It still changes the nature of the cache.

I have found a cache or two with a toy snake in or around them, and have no problem with the idea. However, if you put anything in my cache meant to change the experience, you are messing with my cache.

Want to put spiders or snakes in a cache, set out your own cache to do it, don't change someone else's.

Yeah, it would be fine. Good luck on finding a cache big enough there in Pigeon Forge. There is a nice TB Hotel there near the Rock n Roll hall of fame.

Yes, that's the one. GC3C6MM, Smoky Mountain Travel Bug Lodge and Resort

A big .50 cal can with a huge chain. :laughing:

The second time I found that, there was an ammo can chained up, along with an ammo can lid chained up. Don't think it's safe for TBs.

Yes! by all means use the rubber snake - it is also fun to just put it near the cache so it is found while searching. Don't forget the fake spiders as well!

Little dinosaurs peeking out of rocks are fun as well! Just don't hide the cache where you have to put your hands in a deep hole to get it! Real snakes and spiders love those places as well. Make sure you do this with a remote cache so the fake articles don't draw attention to muggles.

Yeah, it would be fine. Good luck on finding a cache big enough there in Pigeon Forge. There is a nice TB Hotel there near the Rock n Roll hall of fame.

The second time I found that, there was an ammo can chained up, along with an ammo can lid chained up. Don't think it's safe for TBs.

When I found it a couple of months ago the inventory said it had several TB's in it, but there was nothing but a damp log book. The CO has marked some of them missing in the last few weeks.

I'm not very far from Pigeon Forge, and I would not leave a TB there in any cache, and that is from experience. TB's dissappear from tourist areas.

15537473664_4aeb8a5de4.jpg[/url]

That's a different cache but I think that the one at the Comedy Barn mentions it in the listing. I assume that the OP considers the rubber snake to be a "practical joke" which is why the cache at the Comedy Barn might be appropriate. Some might still consider it inappropriate to intentionally scare a potential finder but at least it would fit the theme of that cache.

That's a different cache but I think that the one at the Comedy Barn mentions it in the listing. I assume that the OP considers the rubber snake to be a "practical joke" which is why the cache at the Comedy Barn might be appropriate. Some might still consider it inappropriate to intentionally scare a potential finder but at least it would fit the theme of that cache.

Whoops! The ammo can at the Big Red Barn of Laughs down the street was what I was thinking of.

I know some people will destroy a cache with a sound shocking device, but getting annoyed at a rubber snake is excessive.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I know some people will destroy a cache with a sound shocking device, but getting annoyed at a rubber snake is excessive.

I cannot imagine me destroying a cache for any reason. No matter how annoying.

However, while I have no problems at all with snakes, and a fake one might startle me, it wouldn't annoy me. I do know people who have a phobia of snakes, and their reaction to finding a snake without any warning could very well be annoying.

I have a phobia of spiders, and avoid them at all costs. But have found caches where the CO has used a spider for scare fun. I really don't find that annoying at all. If someone puts one in a cache of mine, for the sole purpose of scaring the finder of MY cache, I would be extremely annoyed.

You want to change the feel or purpose of a cache, put your own cache out and leave mine alone.

As others have said, create your own cache and include your rubber snake there - and give me some kind of a clue in the name or description so that I can choose to avoid it. Finding an unexpected snake (rubber or otherwise) in a cache would terrify me. I have even refused to pick up a fake spider cache that I KNEW was a fake spider.

However, by letting me (and other cachers) know via your cache name or description would allow those cachers who don't mind to go ahead and find yours.

I agree. Funny or not to the person leaving it, swag is all it is.