gpsmap64st

the maverics

I have a gpsmap64st and up till last weekend i was working great but then my laptop died, i went to upload a new pq on my wifes laptop and the laptop was attached but showed they had been loaded. I discontected and turned on gps and they were no where to be seen I then tried again and again no. i managed to load one eventually and both then on etrex20. but still no luck can anyone help. i dont have gsak but have a friend that does and that mde no diference, then we managed to load a singular cache but ran out of time didnt wanna stay all day. but could not load pq in gsak again it shpwed it was on the gps but again when unplugged nope.i called garmin and they are saying its at geocaching end. i have contacted them and they want loads on compy answers which i have no idea. we tried garmins idea of basemap and again it shows its there and again its not can anyone please help as this was an expensive birthday gift that worked now doesnt.

after loading it did you look in the Garmin/GPX folder to see if it was there. If it isn't then tge file transfer didn't go to the proper place. If you have a SD card check there also.

Yes it shows its there but when i disconect and turn on the gps it loads but then when i enter the geocaching icon nothing shows

the caches i am trying are near darwen in blackburn. 165 miles away. should i have tried blackburn. its just i duid have one before xmas for a village called spixworth near norwich and that was fine,,, but willing to try anything, and i am in watford herts and was able to do one in chicago....greenbay...memphis. this is all new to me so learning thanks for the help Bear

Try this little trick --

Boot up GPSr, allow it to settle in, double-check to see if caches are there >

Shut down the unit >

Pull the mSD card >

Boot the unit up again, allowing it to settle in, again (sans the card)>

Shut the unit down >

Re-insert mSD card >

Boot up the unit for a third time. Check for geocaches.

This *sometimes* makes the geocaches appear like magic.

A Garmin quirk.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The 64 series has the same distance limitation as the other newer models. I think it is somewhere around 140 miles or so. If you search for a city and then select Search Near and select Recent Find you can select the city again and the caches near that city will show in the list and map.

The next thing to watch for is your filter settings in the list, and check the zoom settings for geocaches in the map setup page. They have the default set for geocaches to something unrealistic. Change it to Auto.

I've had a 64s for close to a year and have never had the common Garmin issue of having to pull the data card and reboot to force it to reindex the geocaches. I think they may have finally fixed that!

Edited by JohnCNA

would it be an idea that i change my location for home to enable them to load as they must be 140 miles or nearer to home. also someone mentioned the caches wont show as too far but as loaded would they appear when you get nearer

No point.

They DO load. It's the fact that they DON'T show if they are over a certain distance from where the GPS 'thinks' it is.

To check the caches have loaded use the Search for 'Town' then search for a cache.

When you are 'out in the field' and closer to the caches they will show on the GPS.

Edited by Bear and Ragged