innappropriate log entries?

lost rabbit

A new cacher (premium, 12 finds) in my area recently found some of my caches. To me a few of his logs seemed inappropriate: Found a big one!! "That's what she said"; Big old tree, tig old bitties!!

I'm not an easily offended PC person but this just didn't sit well.

What do you do with this type of log? I'm just going to ignore it this time and hope the jerk grows up as he continues to cache.

I'm just going to ignore it this time

That's a good plan. I've seen a couple of similar logs on my own caches, and supposed the poster made a major typo without realizing it. Or that they don't quite get the whole "Internet being available to all to read" thing. :rolleyes:

And some of those logs do seem to be less than family-friendly.

Edited by kunarion

A new cacher (premium, 12 finds) in my area recently found some of my caches. To me a few of his logs seemed inappropriate: Found a big one!! "That's what she said"; Big old tree, tig old bitties!!

What do you do with this type of log? I'm just going to ignore it this time and hope the jerk grows up as he continues to cache.

A couple logs aren't all that bad, so not sure why he'd act that way on others.

I agree, probably good to ignore it this time.

Sooner or later he'll catch a CO not so patient.

His last find (the CO a regular poster here) was pretty rude too.

And you were offended so you came here and posted what offended you?

Hmmm. I don't get it. dry.gif

Cute, but not a very useful reply. Besides, he only said that it "didn't sit well." I think those are horribly rude logs and *should* be brought to light.

So calling the finder a jerk in the forums is not rude? I don't agree that it should be brought to light here in the forums. If the log offended the cache owner, they can delete the log and contact the finder and explain what the issue is, but that would not create drama like posting it here in the forums, which I believe was the OP's intent. :anibad:

Hmmm. I don't get it. dry.gif

Cute, but not a very useful reply. Besides, he only said that it "didn't sit well." I think those are horribly rude logs and *should* be brought to light.

So calling the finder a jerk in the forums is not rude? I don't agree that it should be brought to light here in the forums. If the log offended the cache owner, they can delete the log and contact the finder and explain what the issue is, but that would not create drama like posting it here in the forums, which I believe was the OP's intent. :anibad:

The person who posted the logs was disrespectful and a jerk, at least at the time he/she posted their logs. The OP came in asking about this, which, correct me if i'm wrong, is one of the reasons the forums exist.

To the OP, you won't see these kinds of logs too often but when you do, it's probably best to just ignore them. They could be worse and if so, then decide whther to delete or report them to gc.com. You wouldn't think you'd need it very often with our little hobby but it's sometimes good to have thicker skin.

It was rude of me to call the cacher a jerk. I apologize to the cacher and forum members.

I was not trying to offend anyone or create drama on the forum with this topic. (BTW, I was not "offended" by the log entries.)

As a new CO I was looking for input on the logs as I have not seen similar ones before.

Thank you to those who responded. I think we should put this thread to bed.

I had one log which was slightly worse, so I immediately deleted it and wrote a note "one found log deleted for inappropriate language".

I would have done the same with the OP's quoted log.

I may not be offended by this sort of thing personally, but there are parents who play this game with children who may be.

Delete it and report the user to Groundspeak.

It was rude of me to call the cacher a jerk. I apologize to the cacher and forum members.

I was not trying to offend anyone or create drama on the forum with this topic. (BTW, I was not "offended" by the log entries.)

As a new CO I was looking for input on the logs as I have not seen similar ones before.

It was factual to call the cacher a jerk. That log is entirely inappropriate and there is nothing wrong with asking other cachers for their feedback on how to handle it.

It was factual to call the cacher a jerk. That log is entirely inappropriate and there is nothing wrong with asking other cachers for their feedback on how to handle it.

+1

You are responsible for the content on your cache page, so you can encrypt the content, delete it (a field will be provided for you to enter something like "please relog with more family-appropriate language" with a link to the appropriate Groundspeak reference), or let it go. If the inappropriate language continues on your and/or others' cache pages, you can bring the cacher(s) to the attention of Groundspeak via http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

Hmmm. I don't get it. <_<

Oh act like an adult. What the heck does that post even accomplish? I mostly just lurk the forums but every time I see you post it is just useless, sarcastic, and unnecessary. The OP did nothing that required a response that sour. He posted it and asked what other people would do. I honestly wouldn't appreciate that log on one of my caches either and would delete it for the sake of the kids who find them with their parents. Someone who logs something like that on a public website clearly has something wrong with them.

Oh act like an adult. What the heck does that post even accomplish? I mostly just lurk the forums but every time I see you post it is just useless, sarcastic, and unnecessary. The OP did nothing that required a response that sour. He posted it and asked what other people would do. I honestly wouldn't appreciate that log on one of my caches either and would delete it for the sake of the kids who find them with their parents. Someone who logs something like that on a public website clearly has something wrong with them.

Thanks for your off topic personal attack.

I had an log on one of my caches a few weeks ago by a user with an EXTREMELY offensive name. He also left a very offensive log. I instantly deleted it. He also logged another local cache with an even worse log. I contacted GS and the changes the user name and locked his IP. I have seen quite a few questionable logs but never to this level.

Those logs are not massively offensive, but the are inappropriate.

I'd have deleted them immediately and maybe contacted the poster explaining that given the absence of anything looking remotely like a proper found log I had assumed that they'd made a mistake of some sort / had their geocaching account hacked or had some sort of malware on their device that was inappropriate logs on their behalf.

I may not be offended by this sort of thing personally, but there are parents who play this game with children who may be.

The good thing about innuendo is it only applies to those who already know about it.

Parent reads the log and sees the double-meaning. Innocent child reads the logs and doesn't think anything about it because they don't know there is a joke there. If a child does read it and understands there is a sexual innuendo? Then the child has already been exposed to such things and the log entry isn't likely to have caused any additional "harm".

It's like watching old cartoons and seeing how many "adult" references there were that I only understand now but as a kid went right over my head.

I'd just ignore it and move on. The logs will soon move down the page and will not likely see much attention before long anyway.

I saw someone log a find on a local cache, I believe the user name was ponyf***. I reported it a GS changed their name to something like ponies and rainbows, pretty funny actually.

A while ago, one of my fans created an account with a regrettable name and hit NA on all of my cache listings. Groundspeak changed the account name to "Poor Behavior" and locked it. I've found that they are fast to act on that sort of silliness.

This is a simple problem. The answer is to talk to him. Without being emotional or insulting, explain why you found it offensive and ask him to edit it. Make a friend, not an enemy. If you do it the right way, he will understand the general principle here and not think that you're just an isolated party pooper.

If you truly think it's too offensive to stand a few days, you could delete it right away, as well, but, to be honest, I don't even understand why you consider it offensive, so assume it wasn't meant to be. I read it as trying to be funny and failing miserably which is sad, of course, but not an offense. (I liked the other response that suggested treating it as an unintentional typo. Even if you can't imagine what it was a typo of, assuming it was unintentional will help you avoid assuming the worst about the logger and reacting inappropriately.)

Thanks for your off topic personal attack.

Hey I just read what I said again and feel like a total jerk. Sorry about that.

I wish that he OP would not have included the text of the logs that they considered potentially offensive. Then the focus of the thread could be about what courses of action one might take when encountering a log that was potentially offensive rather than a a debate over whether the language was actually offensive.

Yes, that was what I was attempting to convey with my first post. I just did not understand why the OP posted the offensive text.

If it had been my cache that log was posted to, I would have juust encrypted it. I did not think the finder was being a jerk, but I did find the post to be very childish. :anicute:

I had a cache that was a D3 and got several DNFs right after it was published. Someone found it and posted a spoiler on the hiding spot. I emailed them, asked them to edit the spoiler out or I would delete the log. The took the stance that they shouldn't have to edit it...so I deleted the log, explaining that they could repost a find log WITHOUT spoilers, but they never did.

It's YOUR cache page and you have a lot of leeway on the types of stuff that can show up on it. Spoilers, inappropriate language or images...GS will side with you on those fronts if you choose to get rid of it.