[Bug?] No email notifications from my own cache.

smommits

I am not receiving email notifications when my own cache is found. I used to, but they stopped. I have checked both of my email accounts, including the junk/spam folders and making sure the email extension is not blocked. The co-owner of the cache does receive the emails, as do those who request to 'watch' my cache. I tried clicking on 'watch', but it won't allow me to do so, since I am one of the owners.

I've confirmed that my email address is listed correctly in my profile, and it is listed as my primary. Interestingly, I have checked off that I wish to receive the weekly newsletter, but I don't get that, either.

Suggestions?

Smommits

Our system shows 44 emails sent to your email address in the past 44 days, including 5 that were cache owner notifications - 2 on 1/25, 2 on 1/26, and 1 on 1/27 (newsletter is sent by a different system).

You mention that "the co-owner of the cache does receive the emails". Keep in mind that only one account is identified as the owner of any given cache, regardless of how many names are entered into the "Placed By" field. The above emails were triggered by logs on GC55VCR. If your name has been added to the "Placed By" field of another cache, you will not automatically receive emails for it.

Our system shows 44 emails sent to your email address in the past 44 days, including 5 that were cache owner notifications - 2 on 1/25, 2 on 1/26, and 1 on 1/27 (newsletter is sent by a different system).

You mention that "the co-owner of the cache does receive the emails". Keep in mind that only one account is identified as the owner of any given cache, regardless of how many names are entered into the "Placed By" field. The above emails were triggered by logs on GC55VCR. If your name has been added to the "Placed By" field of another cache, you will not automatically receive emails for it.

So if the other co-owner is receiving the notification emails, why can't the OP add the cache to his/her watchlist to receive notifications as well? It does seem like a bug if only one owner can receive owner notifications and the other co-owner cannot even "watch" the cache.

So if the other co-owner is receiving the notification emails, why can't the OP add the cache to his/her watchlist to receive notifications as well? It does seem like a bug if only one owner can receive owner notifications and the other co-owner cannot even "watch" the cache.

They can definitely add the cache to their watchlist. I was only clarifying that "owner" emails are limited to a single account, and this account has been sent 5 such emails in the past month.

I've just tried to "watch" one of my own caches and got this message:

"As the owner of a geocache, you already watch it."

Therefore the OP's sentence " I tried clicking on 'watch', but it won't allow me to do so, since I am one of the owners. " most likely means he (his account) is the CO.

Therefore the OP's sentence " I tried clicking on 'watch', but it won't allow me to do so, since I am one of the owners. " most likely means he (his account) is the CO.

I think the point Moun10bike is trying to make is that the owner of the cache is tied to a single user name and that is the user that created the listing. There is no such thing as a "co-owner". One can add additional names the the "placed by" field but that's just a string and isn't associated with an owner id (or multiple owner ids). As you said, the owner of a cache is on the watch list by default. Anyone else can add that cache to their watch list.

I think the point Moun10bike is trying to make is that the owner of the cache is tied to a single user name and that is the user that created the listing. There is no such thing as a "co-owner". One can add additional names the the "placed by" field but that's just a string and isn't associated with an owner id (or multiple owner ids). As you said, the owner of a cache is on the watch list by default. Anyone else can add that cache to their watch list.

Exactly my point...I must be listed as the CO because the system won't allow me to watch it. Why did I previously receive emails but now do not? Neither myself nor the 'co-owner' initiated any change.

As for my email address, it is a @xxxx.edu address (4 letters before .edu). Does that qualify as too short?

smommits

The issue with short (single-character) domain names in emails was only an issue with submitted caches, not with email delivery.

To confirm, is GC55VCR the cache you have not received emails for?

Yes, that is the correct cache. I've also changed my primary email in my profile to a different account, to see if that helps.

The issue with short (single-character) domain names in emails was only an issue with submitted caches, not with email delivery.

To confirm, is GC55VCR the cache you have not received emails for?

Update--the switch to another email account worked. So, previous acct must have been blocking the emails, somehow. Situation resolved. Yay!

Thanks for the help.

A friend of mine had the GC-mails in the spam-filter...

Did you check all your spam filters? Server and Client, etc.

I have started having exactly the same problem - my email is not short. I haven't received any notifications from my caches or my trackables but I did up until a short while ago.

I have started having exactly the same problem - my email is not short. I haven't received any notifications from my caches or my trackables but I did up until a short while ago.

One thing to remember is that "visited" logs don't generate emails to the trackable owner.

"Grabbed" and "discovered" should, though. At least that's what I thought.

Any new logs on caches you own should generate emails.

B.

The OP's problem was with a .edu account. Though we never heard the exact reason, it seems likely that the server was blocking gc.com emails. This happens on occasion due to a combination of overly sensitive servers and the large number of emails that gc.com sends.

In just about every case where someone is not receiving emails from gc.com, it turns out the emails are getting blocked along the way rather than failing to be sent.

The first thing I would try is changing your email address in your geocaching account to a different address, in a different domain (that is, different after the @ sign). You could set up a gmail account (assuming you are not already using one), use a friend's account for a few days, etc. That will give evidence as to where the emails are getting lost.

Edward