Missing Caches

jonboy

I've heard a lot of talk about missing and abandoned caches. The issue of what constitutes abandoned can be kind of controversial, but missing caches should be a no brainer, they should be removed from our site. This seems like a good place to start, so I'll offer one in my area:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2732

I don't know how to do that link thing.

Does anyone else have any candidates for a hit list? If more than one voice spoke up, we could avoid any mistakes and form a consensus of how to clean up our area.

Is it really missing? I see 2 logs since it was last found. The 1st was a DNF by someone who had zero finds at that point. He later found one cache and dropped from sight.

The last cacher posted a find, even though he didn't find it. This was his 3rd or 4th cache ever, and he also hasn't logged a find or logged into geocaching.com since.

I'll agree it's abandoned, since there has been no activity from the hider in almost 2 yrs.

Have others tried for this and just not logged a DNF?

Any chance on an experienced cacher or someone who already found it checking on this first?

How about emailing the hider, clunelaw@aol.com?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Any chance on an experienced cacher or someone who already found it checking on this first?

How about emailing the hider, clunelaw@aol.com?

I sent him two e-mails about the status of this cache over the past year. The second e-mail (I probably sent it back in October or November) suggested that if he was unable to check up on the cache, or had simply lost interest in geocaching, that he should archive the cache.

I received no reply, and obviously no action has been taken.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 18, 2003 at 01:23 PM.]

This cacher has been inactive, but has made some good caches, such as the Saxon Woods Geocache. I'm not sure all these caches should be archived, it's just that the afore mentioned cache pops up first on my search list. I can't be the only one annoyed by dead caches on their list. Just put out some candidates for the graveyard and let's talk about them.

quote:
Originally posted by jonboy:

This cacher has been inactive, but has made some good caches, such as the Saxon Woods Geocache. I'm not sure all these caches should be archived, it's just that the afore mentioned cache pops up first on my search list. I can't be the only one annoyed by dead caches on their list. Just put out some candidates for the graveyard and let's talk about them.

I get that Jon, just wondering if the cache is really dead? If those are really the only 2 DNFs, i would hate to archive a cache just because 2 people with 4 finds between them said its not there.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=807. Sorry Ninja, but why? You told me way back in the winter of '01 that it was missing.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on March 18, 2003 at 02:11 PM.]

Now thats a perfect example, Mark. CN himself verified it's missing on 9/2/01. Why isn't it archived?

The way the rivers are running right now, other than swimming or kayak your not getting out there for quite awhile. The last logger sure sounds like they found the hidding spot, the island itself is overrun in the nice weather and is a high traffic area for swimmers and dumping ground for partyers, I was surprised it was still there when I found it. Though this was one of the most fun caches I've ever done I'd probably have to say it should be archived or adopted if someone is feeling up to it.

I've wanted to ask the same question about this cache but, being a newbie, was not sure it was my place.

The log book and contents have been soaked since last September. BrianSnat replaced the container in October and I just added a new log. I pulled the old log and brought it home to dry it out, but I've heard nothing from the cache owner. After all the posts about this (and #2 and #3) I'd think there'd be some response.

This is tough ground to walk. I don't want to upset anyone, but I also am bothered by abandoned caches at the top of my nearest cache list.

quote:
Originally posted by etoast66:

I've wanted to ask the same question about http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4445 cache but, being a newbie, was not sure it was my place.

The log book and contents have been soaked since last September. BrianSnat replaced the container in October and I just added a new log. I pulled the old log and brought it home to dry it out, but I've heard nothing from the cache owner. After all the posts about this (and #2 and #3) I'd think there'd be some response.

This is tough ground to walk. I don't want to upset anyone, but I also am bothered by abandoned caches at the top of my nearest cache list.

Profile for Skibum

Member since July, 2001

Email this user

Ok, where do you go here? The cacher IS still active, just ignoring their responsibilities.

Personally, I would fix the cache if it was near me and consider it trading up.

I know Skibum and know his new e-mail. He has gone through some troubles. I could approach him about whether he wants to have his caches adopted.

There is much we can learn by talking amongst ourselves. I'm not suggesting unilateral action, but rather that we pool our knowledge and collaborate to fix problems with a minimum of conflict.

quote:

There is much we can learn by talking amongst ourselves. I'm not suggesting unilateral action, but rather that we pool our knowledge and collaborate to fix problems with a minimum of conflict.

YOU PINKO LIBERAL!!! icon_mad.gif

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

I replaced Skibum's Stone Living Room cache and offered to adopt it. He contacted me and thanked me for replacing it and said he'd take it from there. His cache along Clinton Road also needs some TLC.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on March 18, 2003 at 04:33 PM.]

Abandoned caches should not be removed. My first experence 2 years ago was an **abandoned** cache by the Cache Ninja. Swept away by the stream where he placed it 2 years before. I, with his permission replaced and moved it to higher ground and it is still active today with many visits. A not found is still a nice walk in the park, and cause to do a little detective work to locate the owner and replace/repair and help advance the sport for the users. Just my 2 cents.

Pete W

I love GM, and I have many great memories in that park. As a matter of fact my first cache ever was in Rifle Camp Park (thx BassoonPilot!!)

I will do everything I can to get up there on Sat. 03/22 and replace all that is necessary just to keep this http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4445 cache active and the finders coming to a great park.

Kar of Team Shibby!

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

[This message was edited by Team Shibby on March 18, 2003 at 07:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Team Shibby on March 18, 2003 at 07:33 PM.]

quote:
Abandoned caches should not be removed....

I think it depends on the cache. Ones like the Stone Living Room and Garrett Mountain are worth saving. Many others aren't.

Anyway, if it is worth saving and the owner is no longer interested in taking care of the cache, it should be adopted by someone.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

If Brian donates the container, and other people donate all the contents, what connection does the original placer have to the cache if he never visits it again? Does he have a patent on it? I don't think that someone should be credited with being a cache "owner" under those circumstances. To me, that kind of placer is like a cuckoo, laying his egg and flying off to let others do the work for him. Why should their name remain on the cache for ever when they no longer have any connection to it?

quote:
Originally posted by jonboy:

If ... donates the container, and other people donate all the contents, what connection does the original placer have to the cache if he never visits it again? ... I don't think that someone should be credited with being a cache "owner" under those circumstances.

I've voiced a similar opinion in several other threads over the months; for those new to the topic, I am not a supporter of "cache adoption" unless the original owner has expressly granted permission for the cache to be adopted.

I fully support the archiving and removal of abandoned caches so that an area can be utilized by someone else (perhaps in a totally different manner), who would hopefully take greater responsibility for their cache.