wet logs

TeamWalls

We are constantly finding logs in caches that are soaked. I think this is due to condensation build up. Even though the cache is a water proof container the logs are still wet. I think instead of having a paper log to sign, have a code that needs to be entered online in order to log your find without the code you could not sign. Code could be anything, a word or number, and be encrypted so no one could get code off line. Only way would be to find cache to get it. I'm just tried of logs that cannot be signed because to wet. Hope admin looks into this. Would be great!

We are constantly finding logs in caches that are soaked. I think this is due to condensation build up. Even though the cache is a water proof container the logs are still wet. I think instead of having a paper log to sign, have a code that needs to be entered online in order to log your find without the code you could not sign. Code could be anything, a word or number, and be encrypted so no one could get code off line. Only way would be to find cache to get it. I'm just tried of logs that cannot be signed because to wet. Hope admin looks into this. Would be great!

I advocated for this many years ago but was told by TPTB that the signing of a log was crucial to the game and its not going to change. Codes and numbers can be used in the stages of a multi.

I think the concern is that finders will share the code with lots of others who can then log the cache without ever having visited it. And the CO would not be able to dispute it because the "finder" did have the code...there would be no way to disprove it.

This already happens a lot with trackables.

I don't get too worked up about signing a log that's wet. If I found the cache and had the log sheet in my hand, I consider it a find whether I signed it or not. If the CO cares so little about maintenance, it's doubtful they will care whether you actually sign it. It's not my job to replace a log sheet. I have on occasion when I have something with me, but I never go out of my way to do the CO's job.

Hopefully you've constantly placed NM with your Found It log too.

Curious what these waterproof containers are if you're finding that many soaked logs.

This is something that has been asked for before.

I believe a "code" replacing the log would end up similar to the mass logging of trackables many have seen lately.

I'm sure someone on one of the facebook cheat sites could get a code generator set up for caches in two shakes.

Sorry, I'm not interested. If the log's so wet it can't be signed, I don't think the CO's going to be in a position to reject your find with or without a special code. And if they're anal enough to reject your find because whatever ink you managed to leave on the wet blob washed off, do you really care whether you get to claim a find on their cache? Besides, if the log's wet, what makes you think you'd be able to read the code?

If they allowed QR codes to be listed here and not to interfere with the game, I think that would be useful. A separate tally viewable on the profile would be popular.

How do you envision these QR codes will be used? As a separate cache type, or as a supplement to existing cache types?

Some people are opposed to QR codes because they require you have a device to scan it, and that device is usually a smart phone. Others are opposed to QR codes in the same way they're opposed to Facebook - because it is fashionable to hate something ubiquitous.

It is a good idea but I think it is to late to get it set up. We have out over 100 caches. Most all are in good order and take care of themselves and I suspect some I won't need to go to for possibly a couple of years. Not saying I wouldn't if there was a problem but if they said every cache needed a code in them I would be set up for a lot of work. 162 I own and about 15 others I don't own but take care of to put in a code. That would include dropping my kayak into about 15 places some far off and hiking to some impossible places.

I think it is better if we could get people to use containers that work and maybe rainproof logs. Well that isn't going to happen either.

If they allowed QR codes to be listed here and not to interfere with the game, I think that would be useful. A separate tally viewable on the profile would be popular.

How do you envision these QR codes will be used? As a separate cache type, or as a supplement to existing cache types?

Some people are opposed to QR codes because they require you have a device to scan it, and that device is usually a smart phone. Others are opposed to QR codes in the same way they're opposed to Facebook - because it is fashionable to hate something ubiquitous.

It should be a completely separate game, but yet have the stats shown on the profile page, similar to benchmarks.

In the early days this was billed as a "high tech treasure hunt", and there were more than a few threads by people complaining that GPS usage and internet access made it too exclusive and unfair to many.

I don't know about the "high tech" part anymore, but a separate QR code app, which would allow users to see others on the map and send messages sure would be popular, as well as bringing high tech back into it. There are already free apps which do that, such as Waze. Wet logs on micros are antiquated versus QR codes. Can't couch potato log them as the app knows your location. If there is just a tiny container with no storage, then a QR code is all that is needed to bring someone there. With new hides being off by 25% compared to last year, they probably should pay more attention to constructive criticism to avoid layoffs.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

It should be a completely separate game, but yet have the stats shown on the profile page, similar to benchmarks.

In the early days this was billed as a "high tech treasure hunt", and there were more than a few threads by people complaining that GPS usage and internet access made it too exclusive and unfair to many.

I don't know about the "high tech" part anymore, but a separate QR code app, which would allow users to see others on the map and send messages sure would be popular, as well as bringing high tech back into it. There are already free apps which do that, such as Waze. Wet logs on micros are antiquated versus QR codes. Can't couch potato log them as the app knows your location. If there is just a tiny container with no storage, then a QR code is all that is needed to bring someone there. With new hides being off by 25% compared to last year, they probably should pay more attention to constructive criticism to avoid layoffs.

I don't think the M game is doing so well. In my area there was a big spurt for a couple of years, then nothing. It's a small game that a handful of people still play occasionally. If GC goes that route it may be a quick slide into oblivion. I bet lots of people would jump on the QR bandwagon - way easier to hide, way easier to scan and go. They could push out most swag size caches. QR code cache owners would have even less reason to maintain their caches. Having played the QR game I have seen many many unreadable QR codes (wet, faded, torn, worn), most become litter. Most get automatically archived because of lack of response from the owner.

QR code cache owners would have even less reason to maintain their caches. Having played the QR game I have seen many many unreadable QR codes (wet, faded, torn, worn), most become litter. Most get automatically archived because of lack of response from the owner.

If they ever had the qr code thing here, I'd bet the container part of "... a log and container" would have to be changed too.

The last time we saw those other qr things, more than half plastered around a single light pole in a tackle store's parking lot were pretty beat.

I believe you're correct.

If they can't just slap another sticker up, maintaining anything else isn't happening.

There was a "QR Challenge" that never got off the ground. When introduced, there was a video of Signal the Frog scanning a QR code on one of those tourist telescope things.

Munzee probably patented the idea of scanning QR codes for a game (disclaimer : moun10bike said as long as it is not being promoted, I can mention it by name). I did not look through patent filings to see if this is true, or what exactly they patented. Assuming that they patented the concept, Groundspeak can either (1) implement something different enough not to infringe on the patents, (2) license it from Munzee, or (3) buy the company. I'm not sure if (1) is possible, and I don't see (2) and (3) happening.

Back to high tech solutions for avoiding wet logs : There have been questions regarding creating caches here that don't require signing a physical log. Other than for lab caches, the reviewers who responded were unanimous in saying that a cache must contain a physical logsheet. Some proposals have been quite interesting - signing through a Bluetooth connection, for example. I don't know if it is acceptable to have a cache where you can either sign the log digitally using X method OR sign the physical logsheet - if a reviewer doesn't chime in here, I'll see if I can come up with a design, then ping a local reviewer for his opinion.

We found a few caches last Tuesday that were very wet - one even had 3" of water in the container, and the bag containing the log had at least an inch. Still able to sign using the Papermate InkJoy Gel Pen. Pack of 10 $4.99 at our corner store..cheaper elsewhere, I'm positive. I did wring the log out a bit, that's for sure! Also posted a Needs Maintenance. Have to love the pens I mentioned for this situation, and adore the price and colours.

I find it much quicker to sign the log than faff around with anything else....I am a simple soul, I guess!

I don't think the M game is doing so well. In my area there was a big spurt for a couple of years, then nothing. It's a small game that a handful of people still play occasionally. If GC goes that route it may be a quick slide into oblivion. I bet lots of people would jump on the QR bandwagon - way easier to hide, way easier to scan and go. They could push out most swag size caches. QR code cache owners would have even less reason to maintain their caches. Having played the QR game I have seen many many unreadable QR codes (wet, faded, torn, worn), most become litter. Most get automatically archived because of lack of response from the owner.

As of right now there are 2,557,321 geocaches active.

As of 10/28/14 there were 2,256,357 active QR codes.

That would mean something to me if I didn't see up to a dozen of those stickers placed on single lamp posts.

Notice that a lot.

One library near me had ten or more (couldn't tell if "more" were the same game, as some were faded/peeling off) scattered in their small parking lot.

That would mean something to me if I didn't see up to a dozen of those stickers placed on single lamp posts.

Notice that a lot.

One library near me had ten or more (couldn't tell if "more" were the same game, as some were faded/peeling off) scattered in their small parking lot.

I doubt that they would all be on a single lamppost, as there is a proximity limit of 50' I believe. If there are a few in one spot, they likely are replacements, or links to other websites.

Being that the site is only 3 years old, and this one is nearly 15, the popularity is evident.

The purpose most micros serve is only to bring someone to a spot. Most CO do not audit the log sheet, and most don't read it. There is no reason why many of these could exist separately, or coexist together on the same site. If not QR codes, then simple barcodes would work.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

If the CO cares so little about maintenance, it's doubtful they will care whether you actually sign it.

Where there's previous NM's citing wet log and no OM that might be a fair conclusion to jump to - but not always so.

Logs do get wet when people take them out to sign while it's raining - and being in a closed container doesn't afford them the opportunity to dry out.

Neither do most CO's, I expect, check their caches daily to make sure the logs are dry.

About 200 of those would be mine. But they rarely get scanned. And when they do they rarely get a log. People scan and go. If I get a log notice it's usually "Found it". In 3 years my most popular M has had 21 scans - 10 3 years ago, 8 2 years ago, 2 last year. One log entry by the first finder. As an owner they are unrewarding unless you are into the numbers and strive to be #1. If you are not in the top 10 on the leadership board, what's the point of playing? Whenever one of my MZs goes missing I archive it. If GS adopts QR codes so people can scan and go, people will scan and go. Meaningful logs will be very rare.

GOOD GRIEF! What is all the fuss about? We are new at this for the fun of the hunt and how much this is good for getting out and staying healthy! We carry extra just to help out; extra CITO, extra doggie baggies, extra zip bags (at least one of each size) and extra paper/tiny log books just in case. No, it's not our job to replace your wet log, it's taking care of each other, PEOPLE!!!! I don't think I ever had sailors cry as much about swabbing decks as you do about replacing a piece of paper!

GOOD GRIEF! What is all the fuss about? We are new at this for the fun of the hunt and how much this is good for getting out and staying healthy! We carry extra just to help out; extra CITO, extra doggie baggies, extra zip bags (at least one of each size) and extra paper/tiny log books just in case. No, it's not our job to replace your wet log, it's taking care of each other, PEOPLE!!!! I don't think I ever had sailors cry as much about swabbing decks as you do about replacing a piece of paper!

It's not about the paper....it's about the plethora of abandoned junk caches out there that get propped up by people who insist on propping them up. Promote quality, not junk. Promote responsibility.

It's just the forums. I haven't heard anyone complain about it in real life yet. This is a recurring topic and opinions tend to get more and more polarized each time it is brought up.

Wet Logs are a part of the Lifecycle of Caching.

If you add a note that's the Logs is wet and not to you're liking so be it and move on. It is only a game and everyone will play it different.

Waterproof paper, Duct Tape, Copper Tape, HVAC Tape, Plastic or just plain paper, if you are the said Search Engine should you not be the same person to find some means to document your find. <_<

Enjoy the game and have fun doing so, life is to short to be Negative about a Wet Log or your friends Wet Dog. :laughing: Enjoy!

WOW! What next? The snow is too deep and covering the Cache and the CO should go and remove the snow.

Spend less time venting and more time searching....

What fuss? It's common for someone just starting out to think that caches are permanent, so anything you can do to fix up a cache is a good idea. Seasoned cachers understand that caches don't live forever, and fixing up a broken cache typically doesn't fix the real problem and, instead, just delays the inevitable and keeps a poor cache in place. When yet another person that hasn't thought it through starts talking about what a good service it is to fix caches that aren't being maintained, several forum regulars point out the problem with that. (*shrug*)

I don't really think this idea is debatable among experienced cachers. The only reason there's any disagreement about it, in my opinion, is because the case is often simplified as "never" to stress the point, when really almost everyone will agree that there are cases where it's fine to replace a log or even replace a container, but those cases are less common that one might expect.