Mailed Coin Overseas Was Lost

LadyBee4T

Background: I sold a great coin (GCF 2014 event coin) to a person in Europe on Dec 12. The tracking showed it first went to Chicago as usual but then went to Mexico City. It "left" there on Dec 18 per the tracking number and hasn't been seen since. The buyer contacted me very early this am to tell me he never got it. I had to contact paypal to get the refund to him as they said it was over the 60 day limit. I had insurance on it and have filed a claim so I will have to wait to see if that is approved.

Now for my question. Do you activate the "lost" coins after you refund the money? (I actually think that someone pocketed it along the way in Mexico City as I've been told the Mexican postal system is notorious for losing mail.) I think that right now it is actually my coin where ever it is but after the insurance pays me or if they do then they would be the owner.

Background: I sold a great coin (GCF 2014 event coin) to a person in Europe on Dec 12. The tracking showed it first went to Chicago as usual but then went to Mexico City. It "left" there on Dec 18 per the tracking number and hasn't been seen since. The buyer contacted me very early this am to tell me he never got it. I had to contact paypal to get the refund to him as they said it was over the 60 day limit. I had insurance on it and have filed a claim so I will have to wait to see if that is approved.

Now for my question. Do you activate the "lost" coins after you refund the money? (I actually think that someone pocketed it along the way in Mexico City as I've been told the Mexican postal system is notorious for losing mail.) I think that right now it is actually my coin where ever it is but after the insurance pays me or if they do then they would be the owner.

That happened to me a few years ago. And I did activate the coin, as I thought the buyer was perhaps scamming me. I did get the coin back eventually and then resold it for less.

Well, you could activate it.

But I wouldn't be so sure, the coin is lost, yet.

Living in Germany I've learned over the years, that there must be some very dedicated postman work abroad, who just can't trust a local could do a good job of delivering mail, so they rather do it themselfs.

So they walk all the way to the coast, get into a boat and row it over the ocean, than start walking again, till they find my mailbox.

There is no other explanation, why a coin from Scotland needed three month to arrive.

Letters from the US take similar long time to arrive.

What's worse, the tracking ID only works within the US, the moment, the letters are put into a plane (or ship, or whatever they bring them over with...), they get new tracking IDs, in my case German DHL ones...

It's a nightmare and a nuisance for a seller, I'm sure.

But still, I'm not so sure, the coin is lost after all. It just takes sometimes a ridiculous long time.

I had other problems with bubble mailers I sent in early December. Usually for me sending to Germany takes 7-10 days. One of them took 7 weeks. I also get the tracking all along the way including delivery when sent to Germany. It is included with the First Class International on the customs form but that isn't true for all countries I have sent to.

This is an ebay sale so there are a few other things at stake too. Also paypal may say the buyer has 6 months to ask for a refund but they only allow the seller to refund for 60 days. It's a very bad policy for a seller. After 60 days you have to use the Send Money feature. That means the seller loses the paypal fees after already losing the ebay fees. In this case there are also currency conversion fees. He contacted me very early this am and the refund link was still available. After making my calls I went to paypal to do the refund and that link was not available so I had to spend time on the phone with paypal and explain the situation. They did the refund but I haven't yet received the credit.

The buyer emailed me back to thank me for a quick response. LOL I needed to or it would cost me more money and I am going out of town to meet my new grandson and didn't want it hanging over my head. But now I have to submit all the documents for the insurance claim.

I did decide to activate it. I really believe that somewhere in Mexico someone is admiring my coin. If it does show up in Austria then I hope that we can agree on a price and I will adopt it over to him. It's very tough with international mailing like this.

I sent 2 out to germany back in mid october. I've been keeping in touch with the buyer, and we had decided a refund was in order on feb 1 due to it being lost in the mail.

I was checking my mail before posting her refund, and the coins finally made it back to me. If not i would have activated them as part of the return process.

Luckily im in the process of trying to get them thier coins a second time.

Never thought they would be returned to me, 3 1/2 months later.

Gelugon

I think if the tracking had showed it stuck somewhere in Austria or Germany or nearby I would have let the activation ride. But I'm in Michigan and the coin went to Chicago then Atlanta and then to Mexico City. I used ebay/paypal shipping so I know it had the correct address. The tracking has shown nothing since Dec 18. It would be nice if it made it back to me but I'm not holding my breath.

I think if the tracking had showed it stuck somewhere in Austria or Germany or nearby I would have let the activation ride. But I'm in Michigan and the coin went to Chicago then Atlanta and then to Mexico City. I used ebay/paypal shipping so I know it had the correct address. The tracking has shown nothing since Dec 18. It would be nice if it made it back to me but I'm not holding my breath.

i am totally puzzled as to why a coin from michigan destined for europe would have to go to mexico city first. so very odd.

i am totally puzzled as to why a coin from michigan destined for europe would have to go to mexico city first. so very odd.

You and me both!

It must have gotten tossed in the wrong bag. Usually from Chicago they go overseas. Once I had a priority package go to Atlanta and sit for 10 days before being sent to St Louis. It must have be pony express.