Secondary email/SMS notifications

knowschad

I just added a secondary email address for which to receive text notifications. I verified the address and received the text message on my phone, so that is fine. But I don't have the option of changing my email address to that one, either for existing notifications, or for new notifications. There also is no option for me to change my default email (although I really don't want to do that... I only want to use the new one for certain notifications.)

OK, got a bit further... the text message contained a link to use to verify. Did that, but then get a red "Failed to validate email address" I have tried several times, to no avail. What am I missing?

Some verify links only last a short time. Were you too slow?

Is there a way to re-send the verify email?

That occurred to me, so I sent myself another verification (yes, you can do that) and immediately replied to it. Still failed. But thanks for the idea.

I have had the exact same problem with my GS3 and an 'email account' of {myphonenunmber}@mycarrier.com. My txt message stops at /emailpreferences and tapping the link just takes me to the preferences page and doesn't actually send the verification token because the messaging app on the phone cuts it off. I tried a different messaging app and got the same thing. I suspect that our carriers limit the size of a SMS message and for some reason it is not splitting this validation message into multiple pieces. I noticed in the help area on the Geocaching web site that they do mention the possibility of manually validating an email address if it can't be done any other way. So I emailed them and requested a manual validation. We'll see what happens....

Edited by JohnCNA

I have had the exact same problem with my GS3 and an 'email account' of {myphonenunmber}@carrier.com. My txt message stops at /emailpreferences and tapping the link just takes me to the preferences page and doesn't actually send the verification token because the messaging app on the phone cuts it off. I suspect that our carriers limit the size of a SMS message and for some reason it is not splitting this validation message into multiple pieces.

Yes, sure does sound like the exact problem! I wonder if it has been reported.

Well, THAT was a bit of a pain in the tush... In the big picture though, not so bad. I was having the same issues with my email to text thingy (yes, a *techie* I'm not). I just forwarded the message to my regular email (it came as an attachment), it forwarded an active link. Check your phone service provider for directions but mine was to just reply to the message on my phone with the "Forward 1234@email.com" command.