Not-so-Instant notifications

Kid Ron Satan

Hi,

I've had Instant Notifications set up for each cache type, for New Publishes, for a specified distance from home for over a couple of years now.

The email address I use for these is one that I usually access on my MacBook, or my iPhone when I'm out & about.

I've recently noticed in the past few weeks that I'm getting the emails quite late and missing out on FTF opportunities.

For instance today, there were 10 new caches in my search area:

I received the first email at 3:25 PM and when I open the email the timestamp says 1:56 PM.

I received the tenth email at 8:44 PM and when I open the email the timestamp says 2:26 PM.

Most of the FTF logs from the cachers that found these caches today suggest they were found at around 3PM, which makes sense.

Why would this just start happening now? Is the issue likely to be at Groundspeak's end or my carrier's end (Optus - I'm from Sydney, Australia) or both? I've been in 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi range all day and did not run out of charge.

Anyone else seeing this?

Hi,

I've had Instant Notifications set up for each cache type, for New Publishes, for a specified distance from home for over a couple of years now.

The email address I use for these is one that I usually access on my MacBook, or my iPhone when I'm out & about.

I've recently noticed in the past few weeks that I'm getting the emails quite late and missing out on FTF opportunities.

For instance today, there were 10 new caches in my search area:

I received the first email at 3:25 PM and when I open the email the timestamp says 1:56 PM.

I received the tenth email at 8:44 PM and when I open the email the timestamp says 2:26 PM.

Most of the FTF logs from the cachers that found these caches today suggest they were found at around 3PM, which makes sense.

Why would this just start happening now? Is the issue likely to be at Groundspeak's end or my carrier's end (Optus - I'm from Sydney, Australia) or both? I've been in 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi range all day and did not run out of charge.

Anyone else seeing this?

I've missed out on some notifications.

I'm in the UK.

I think the problem might be your email or ISP, not Groundspeak.

I really don't know how all this works but i'm kinda thinking the same thing. I've been out with friends when a notification came out and we all got them at different times. Usually some minutes apart, but i do remember a time or two where one of us didn't end up getting the notification until hours later.

One of my friends has her phone set to notify when both, texts and emails, come in. They rarely come in at the same time.

Just curious, but do you have it set up to notify you right when you get the email (called push notifications IIRC) sme apps won't send it to you right away, and instead check every so often, ever half hour for example. Or are you using an email app? In my experience the apps may lag, or not notify you at all occasionally, usually after an update, but if you open the email app it shows them there. Do you get other emails without delay? Have a friend email you and see how long it takes. At least then you can find out if the issue is your email or not.

Your answer is in those timestamps. The lag between 1:56 PM and 3:25 PM isn't on Groundspeak's end.

I agree. When I publish caches I oftentimes haven't moved on to the next cache before the notification for the first cache hits my phone and desktop e-mail inboxes.