Copyright Question

StormShadow

Sure, they could sue you for all the profits you make off these commercial caches...

Well ok you won't be making profits, they won't be commercial and the theme will only promote the original books.

Go for it. If they make a problem drag their name through the mud.

An artist can copy a work of art if they don't sell it. There really should be no issue here.

I'd go for it! My geoname "Ce'Nedra" is a book character. And all my hides are other characters in her book series. I just put them in "quotes" to show its not my words.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

Hello, since you are in PA, I would be the approver to look at your caches. There are many fine caches that are based on books, movies, etc. Our only rules applicable to this subject are (a) good taste -- no titles or cache text that isn't kid friendly, and (;) no quoting of long passages from a book, just 'cuz it's boring.

On the other hand, if you were to adapt a book as a cache hunt, and wrote your cache page in the style of the book, that would be a cool themed cache, and a nice change of pace from "park your car here and walk over into the woods and the tupperware is under the bush." Just don't pick a book with railroad tunnels, hydroelectric dams or nuclear power plants as their setting, mmmm kay?

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

So long boring original works of prose are ok?

There's no rule against them. I've seen cache descriptions that filled up the maximum available characters for that field, and then the author just spilled over and continued into the encrypted hints field. The approvers don't, and shouldn't, edit a cache page for content, other than things that violate a posted guideline (like keeping kid-friendly), and sometimes to fix obvious typos if we have time. Oh... I almost forgot... lately several approvers, myself included, have been changing those annoying encrypted hints that say "this is so easy, you don't need a hint" and other unhelpful clues.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!