MOGA 2015

MMaru

I'm hoping to attend MOGA 2015. This will be my first mega event. I've checked out the GC page for it and the main website, but I had some questions for anyone who may have attended previous MOGA events. Are there generally things to do other than the challenges? For example, are there panels or workshops, vendors who sell related items, etc.? We'd only be able to make it for about half a day - is it worth going to if you're not going to be able to stay the whole weekend? I'm not terribly interested in the competitions, cool as they sound - I'm still sort of a neophyte geocacher and can't see myself keeping up with the big kids! I'm interested in learning more about geocaching in a live setting, meeting other cachers, etc. Are Megas worth going to for people like me? Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hello MMaru, MOGA 2015 has things to do for every geocacher. As you mentioned, there's the individual competition in the morning and the team competitions in the afternoon. There is also a geo-art power trail, kids caches, poker run, 60 permanent ammo can caches, a special puzzle series of caches to get the clues to open the cryptex pyramid, and there is also a puzzle competition in the afternoon. The vendors will be on hand also. I believe Garmin, GxProxy, Wooden Nickel Geocoins, and Red Hat will be there. On Thursday and Sunday, there are train rides on the Orient Express train, which you can purchase meals if you desire. As far as someone helping you learn more about geocaching, there will be 750 geocachers on hand to answer any question you have. Better yet, all you need to do is go to one of the geocaches. A group will soon arrive, if there isn't one there already, and you can tag along with them and learn as you find. Besides Garmin, there will be GPS and phone experts on staff to help answer any questions you may have. If you have any more questions, send me a personal note through geocaching.com. I very seldom get on the forums.

I will be there. It is my first MOGA. I am including the event with a big loop to find caches in 10 or 11 new states for me. I am happy to report that my friend Lookout Lisa who is CEO of Cache Advance will be there with a booth. Her home base is Spokane WA.

The Oregon cacher that I know that listed a will attend (boringgirl) is sadly not able to come.

I'm taking 2 trains from Oregon to Galesburg IL and renting a car for a week from there. I'm getting back on a train in Galesburg on 3/25 and coming home by way of Los Angeles.