Anybody else hate Nano's

Greyroamer

Does anybody out there hate those pesky Nano's as much as I do. I can see the point, perhaps, on places such as bus shelters or the rear of road signs, but IMO, people who put them on artillery pieces or agricultural machinery and the like deserve a special place in the hereafter and shouldn't bother to pack winter undies.

The flamin' things are difficult to find, sometimes almost impossible to extract the log without a pair of needle-nose pliers, very difficult to sign the log and don't even ask how difficult to re-roll and stuff back in the holder.

I'm rapidly getting to the point of ignoring caches which are indicated as being nano's. What's wrong with the good old magnetic mint tin or key holder?

Seriously, to me the whole point of geocaching, is the "GEO". Travelling to places which we may not ordinarily visit, the navigating, often through the bush to the location and then the pleasure (both to the finder and the placer)of signing the log to verify the visit. Spending 20 - 30 minutes crawling upside down in stinking heat or freezing rain, is NOT what I signed up for. There are some people out there (defemation laws discourage naming names, but you know who you are) who seem to take great pleasure in making the actual locating of the container as difficult as possible, and to me that is not the point of the exercise. In addition, some of our kids are interested in geocaching and this sort of thing can make them quickly lose interest.

Well, I'm glad I got that off my chest and I feel a lot better for it. I would be interested in hearing other similar or opposing views.

Mike

I'll bet you a years membership, you really don't hate nanos. You hate the style of hide. A boring, hide just out put there, just because. I don't think you'd say no to a well thought out, cool camo'd cache. Perhaps it's as simple as a hockey puck near a hockey arena. Or maybe something that took the CO weeks of work, batteries, a plexiglass box to base it off of a movie like this

The cache is actually a micro. The way I see it, a boring cache in a boring location is boring regardless of size. Most of the cooler caches I've seen where micros. The one in the video, the cache that was a face in a tree, are two of my favorites. Tell me those are worse than an ammo can just sitting there, because there was room for another cache.

Edited by T.D.M.22
  • Funny 1

No, I don't hate nanos. They can be tough, but being hard isn't reason enough by itself for me to hate any particular container.

It sounds like what you're complaining about is the metallic equivalent of an ivy hide, and, yeah, no one likes those much. But that isn't the container's fault.

No, I don't hate nanos. They can be tough, but being hard isn't reason enough by itself for me to hate any particular container.

It sounds like what you're complaining about is the metallic equivalent of an ivy hide, and, yeah, no one likes those much. But that isn't the container's fault.

We've experienced those ivy hides in UK, not mention hawthorn hides - ouch. Lots of blood shed for dicky little film can micros. In the early days I thought I hated nanos becuase everyone else was saying they hated them. But as we became more experienced we just accept them as part of the game and appreciate the ones used cleverly. We have a few out there and I can't recall any negative logs on them. We've also done a few micros on ordnance, no problem, they've been a mix of mint tins, film cans and nanos. If you find them great, if not, then move on.

I must say I tend to agree with Greyroamer. I don’t mind a clever hide, but I am more focussed on the travel aspect, and am much more inclined to seek out a small or medium cache, rather than a micro/nano. I agree that crawling under things and putting my fingers into arachnid homes searching for a needle in a haystack is not fun. I also get frustrated if I need to revisit the same place two or three times to find these tiny caches – mainly because I’m tracking over old ground and would rather be visiting new places. I also like to leave swappables, which is not possible with the nanos. So while I do hunt for nanos, I am much more inclined to seek out other size caches and will spend a lot longer looking for them when they are well hidden.

I must admit, these days, if I see a artillery canon in a park or wherever and that's where my GPSr is taking me, nine times out of ten it will be a nano! So, I say "Thanks but no thanks!!" and move on. Plenty more caches out there to find!

Edited by Calypso62
  • Upvote 1

I must admit, these days, if I see a artillery canon in a park or wherever and that's where my GPSr is taking me, nine times out of ten it will be a nano! So, I say "Thanks but no thanks!!" and move on. Plenty more caches out there to find!

ditto. hounding all over a sun drenched piece of iron isn't really fun. we realized the nano/micro was pointless, excluded then from our results(from now on) and enjoy the park on the way to our next cache without even trying for the smaller pointless cache.

Bison, nano buttons, and centrifuge tube caches are my least favourite container to deal with. And these are probably the most popular cache containers, especially the bison tube. Trying to get the logsheet out, unrolling the tiny scroll to find an empty spot, rolling the long tiny tattered (wet and moldy) scroll back up tight enough to get it back in the container, not dropping the tiny cache into the tall grass. Frustrating. 10x more frustrating in the winter.

We've experienced those ivy hides in UK, not mention hawthorn hides - ouch. Lots of blood shed for dicky little film can micros. In the early days I thought I hated nanos becuase everyone else was saying they hated them. But as we became more experienced we just accept them as part of the game and appreciate the ones used cleverly. We have a few out there and I can't recall any negative logs on them. We've also done a few micros on ordnance, no problem, they've been a mix of mint tins, film cans and nanos. If you find them great, if not, then move on.

+1

For a moment there I thought I was reading my own response. Hawthorn - ouch. Ivy (ICT) tishoo!!

+1

For a moment there I thought I was reading my own response. Hawthorn - ouch. Ivy (ICT) tishoo!!

geez, I must be getting old. I WAS READING MY OWN REPLY THINKING IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE!! :blink: :blink:

I can put up with them in some situations, but generally dislike them. I did a bike path series with my kids in winter, my fingers were so cold I could barely open nanos, let alone roll up the log once signed....

For COs - if you are going to hide nanos, make sure your coordinates are really good first.....

• Upvote 1

We have seen a few along rails trails, but thankfully not many in the woods.

Maybe if folks here had many, I lowered myself to find things behind dumpsters and such, or my mitts not doing well with that silly thing that passes as a "log", I'd hate 'em too.

- But the past two years or so I haven't been that concerned with the container, if the coordinates lead me to an awesome view, or unique spot.

My thoughts from 4 years back remain the same.... magnetic nanos are one thing, these dang hanging nanos are quite another..... this one was seconds from a DNF, and in fact I think I had just muttered we need to keep moving when my (eagle-eyed) youngest son spotted the midget.....

IMG_1855.jpg

What's this, people don't like nanos? That's terrible. They're fun. The smaller the better. The challenge is making a log scroll small enough to fit. Those magnetic things they sell as nanos are just too big. 

Check out one of mine. Log book inside the tyre valve caps on one of the wheels. 

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCZ4D8_heeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy?guid=a4a7708c-1322-467a-bee0-3b4a9eb2ad44

I have finally managed to secure a few little nanos, whole container is smaller in diameter than a pencil, and about 1/2 inch long. 

• Funny 1
  • Love 1
On 2/10/2015 at 5:10 PM, Greyroamer said:

put them on artillery pieces

I recently managed to find (but ONLY because of a strong hint from a previous finder) a nano on a large gun. It was in an unbelievable devious place, and without the hint, and the staying power to search for hours, or even half an hour, it's unlikely I would have found it. Sort of seemed pointless putting the boring, tiny thing there.

On 2/10/2015 at 5:10 PM, Greyroamer said:

sometimes almost impossible to extract the log without a pair of needle-nose pliers, very difficult to sign the log and don't even ask how difficult to re-roll and stuff back in the holder.

Some logs are also too long, making it VERY difficult to get the log back. I have had to tear a bit off to manage this. The alternative would have been to leave the log there outside the cache, because there has been two or three, no matter how many times I rolled them up, I just couldn't get them back. Those ones also were almost impossible to get the log out.

On 6/29/2016 at 5:22 PM, Wise_Old__Wizard said:

I must say I tend to agree with Greyroamer. I don’t mind a clever hide, but I am more focussed on the travel aspect, and am much more inclined to seek out a small or medium cache, rather than a micro/nano.

The travel aspect is more important to me too. If I am travelling and there are too many caches to find them all along the route, I have to eliminate some, and micro rated caches are likely to be among those ignored.

On 7/9/2016 at 5:18 PM, tttedzeins said:

Yup that's me. We have a group of people in our area who have places nanos and micros out bush. I figure it is just because they are too lazy to maintain them.

Many nanos seem the lazy option to me, especially when I look about and I can see several places where a larger cache could be hidden. I think many hide nanos (and micro) caches, thinking that is the easy option; where in reality it isn't, as they take more maintenance. Smaller logs fill up quicker and need replacement. Unfortunately, those who placed nanos thinking they were the easy option, soon find they aren't and cease to maintain them.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2