Spokane Valley Cache Machine

travisl

If anyone needs a hotel room for two nights, I've canceled my plans to attend, but alas, my reservation at the Rodeway Inn in Spokane (near start/finish of CM) is nonrefundable. Two nights (fri/sat) for $128.18.

Email me at abbywolfe at comcast.net if interested.

The NWS is forecasting the possibility of thunderstorms in Spokane Valley on Saturday afternoon. Please be safe and know that if lightning is in the area, it's better to be safe and stay inside your car. The last thing you want to do is go stick your hand on that metal pole in search of a quick LPC and find a bit more of a jolt than you wanted. Here's the official forecast as of 6:30am Friday morning:

Today: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight: A 50 percent chance of rain after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 44. South wind around 6 mph becoming calm. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday: Showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 11am. High near 55. Southwest wind 6 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Saturday Night: A chance of showers before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. Southwest wind 6 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 60. Southeast wind 3 to 5 mph.

They also have a hazardous weather outlook for Saturday with the following text:

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL PUSH ACROSS THE REGION ON SATURDAY.

VALLEY RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED ALONG THE COLD

FRONT SATURDAY MORNING. SNOW LEVELS WILL DROP THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON ON SATURDAY WITH SOFT HAIL OR SNOW SHOWERS POSSIBLE

ACROSS SOME VALLEY LOCATIONS. WINDS WILL ALSO INCREASE THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON WITH A CHANCE FOR THUNDERSTORMS. EXPECT WINDY CONDITIONS

WITH INCREASED THUNDERSTORM OUTFLOW WINDS.

Last minute route updates:

#61 GC1V9ET Smokey the Bear confirmed missing by previous finder...

Good news! Smokey was found having been blown across the grasslands some distance. He was back in place by the time we got there.

... nearby fire chief asks us not to hunt for it.

Oops. :o I know I should remember what I read in these pre-event notes. Sorry about that.

Thanks for coming, everyone! I talked to the manager of the restaurant, and he said we had 120 people at dinner. That makes it one of the biggest ever (Wenatchee II holds the record, with 142 "Attended" logs). As a reminder, Everett II comes up on June 20, and Quincy/Ephrata is October 3. The full list is always on my profile page.

Any comments or suggestions for improvement? I'm seeing lots of logs on Smokey the Bear, which was a late Do Not Hunt, but I don't blame the finders for that -- that's what happens when the word only gets out the night before.