Too Much Snow!

Teacha

I just bought my niece her first travel bug tags and geocoins for her birthday (she will be eleven). I'll help daddy create an account that they can monitor together, help her choose things to make into travel bugs, and we'll go out caching (maybe after the snow melts, yes) and drop them off. She might want to keep the coins, though...she loved the butterfly coin I showed her a while ago, so I got her one of those and one of the pretty pink fish...thus the travel bug tags as well. We'll see if she can manage to wait for spring!

Okay, I admit that I bought myself a bunch of travel bug tags also, and can spend some time making some fun travelers while I wait for the spring thaw.

I feel you - last year, I was still living in Erie, PA, where we had the #1 spot for the most snow in the nation. I moved down to Missouri this past summer and am watching, wide-eyed, as I am actually filling in my calendar with finds in January and February, both of which were completely blank last year. I went to a meet and greet back in Erie where some of the hardcore cachers were talking about shoveling paths in the snow so they could look for caches - I'm not sure I'll ever be THAT dedicated! :laughing:

Here is a slideshow that will certainly give you a feeling of what winter caching is all about.

A few weeks ago we had our ninth annual Ice walk Event where cachers snowshoe across the ice to one of two islands to get some geocaches. This year on the east coast we have had the biggest snowfalls in recent memory with at least 4 major blizzards.

Local cacher Cableguy has put up the slideshow of the Ice Walk Event.

We are so impressed with his work on this. Great photos of the cachers who went over to Shediac Island this year.

The musical background to the slideshow was also really impressive. "Live a Little" words and music by his wife, Janice Chevarie, Sung by Melanie D.

The Ice Walk sounds awesome! Work computer won't let me view the video, sadly - will have to try it when I get home!

I'm not so dedicated that I will cache in this weather. Right now, it isn't even too terrible - our snow is half melted, though every other night it seems to want to turn into ice, but I like being dry and warm. I'll wait till it's not so slushy and muddy before I get back into my geocaching spirit!

http://coord.info/GC5H6HR

Two of the ice walk logs. When we no longer get great logs like these, it will be time to cancel the event.

I had been looking forward to this event, my first time doing the Ice Walk and my first time on snowshoes and I got more than I bargained for. I would like to thank the group that we joined up with to break trail. We made good time on the way over and there was no wind, so I thought I was doing great( okay, I had to get help putting the snowshoes on, which foot goes where?) Then came the hard part, breaking trail as we were the first ones over. These cachers are my heroes, without them I would not have made it very far or gotten as many caches as I did, so THANK YOU to the first ones in line. It was a beautiful, scenic shoe and I might have noticed more if I wasn't so intent on just putting one shoe in front of the other and that's not even right because I was walking like a bear, shuffling along ( no Walk like an Egyptian for me). The walk back across the ice was windier and seemed endless but there was always someone in sight and others would hang back to make sure you were okay. I felt like I had really accomplished something when we got back to the center where there was food and water. What a welcome sight, thanks Ma & Pa for hosting the event and for your smiling faces. I only hurt a little now.

Ya baby! Another ICE WALK in the books. And what a great time once again! Cached with 11 other old and new friends, thanks so much for the company.

The day was cold but there was little wind. We left fairly early as no one seemed to want to go out to break trail. So our group went one way on Shediac Island and Madpuck's group went another way and all trails were made. After all the snowfalls, the island was so scenic and photogenic. What a terrific 9.1 km hike.

Finally none of this day would have been possible without all the hard work of the hosts, Ma&Pa, and their helpers throughout the weekend.

Thanks again, TFTE!!!

Full blown blizzard in central Alabama last night.

I hope that image is large enough for everyone to see.

Will you rebuild? :P

Tomorrow makes the 9th consecutive school day that has been cancelled here in Knoxville, TN. And for the most part it hasn't looked any different than the picture you posted above. As someone who grew up in the Northeast and lived in Quebec for some time, this is pretty laughable, But we're all good and safe at home for each of these dustings. The kids and I have been doing a lot of playing, but not too much geocaching.

I hope that image is large enough for everyone to see.

Will you rebuild? :P

Tomorrow makes the 9th consecutive school day that has been cancelled here in Knoxville, TN. And for the most part it hasn't looked any different than the picture you posted above. As someone who grew up in the Northeast and lived in Quebec for some time, this is pretty laughable, But we're all good and safe at home for each of these dustings. The kids and I have been doing a lot of playing, but not too much geocaching.

I was not trying to offend, believe me. :P Someone from Raleigh/Durham sent me a meme that said "North Carolina Blizzard 2015: We will rebuild" a few days ago.

Last year I had a conversation at the gym with an Army Command Sergeant Major from Boston who's been stationed in the Virginia Beach area for about 5 years. He told me when Virginia Beach gets their average of two dustings a year, the whole City shuts down, including the military posts. :o

We went caching yesterday where there was snow. I didn't mind so much but I think my daughter's log made her feelings clear:

SNOW.

Frinklabs & I pulled over and kinda just went "oh..." cause there was like a wall of snow. we sank in it! like deep! If you're going to do this cache in the winter I would recommend you not go alone just in case you break your ankle on the way up. cause you will sink below the snow. no one will be able to see you under the snow and you will die of exposure. for sure.

I think she exaggerates somewhat:

00c6d030-8105-4659-8c86-fdb3b4370fd0.jpg

Sometimes it takes a while to get the cachemobile ready some mornings.

VW-Snow-L.jpg

I bought one of these to help with low-level cache searches:

Shovel-L.jpg

For scale, the blade is only about 5" (12cm) wide. Folds up and fits in a jacket pocket or carry bag/backpack. Just the thing for chopping through frozen snow and ice.

For those who don't know, here is what real snow looks like (my deck a week ago)

10959848_10153073572031678_1193393240588000536_n.jpg?oh=c1a42a13eba888bcea02df11e19ca792&oe=554C419A

You have an iceberg on your porch! :laughing:

Gonna be in Washington State next week. I guess you have no icebergs when we visit geocaching HQ

Nope! It's beautiful, 50+ degree weather with several flowering plants. You'll have a good time.

blizzard.jpg

You call that a Blizzard?? I still see grass.

Not even enough to hide a geocache in. Blizzard: 1 to 2 feet of snow with strong wind.

Unable to see 10 feet in front of you. I have driven in that, that is nothing here :lol:

I'm sure he was just goofing around. And I don't have any percentages, but so many people who live in "the South" are Northern transplants, and think nothing of going the speed limit in 3" of snow, like some of us. :)

blizzard.jpg

Not even enough to hide a geocache in. Blizzard: 1 to 2 feet of snow with strong wind.

Unable to see 10 feet in front of you. I have driven in that, that is nothing here :lol:

A blizzard actually has nothing to do with the snowfall total. Snowfall with 35 MPH winds for three hours or more is a blizzard. Ran across one of those a few years back on I-80. I couldn't see 15 feet in front of me! I ended up driving at 15 MPH on the Interstate!

Our average snowfall total her in north Jersey is about 28". This year, we got that all in February. And most of it is still there! We're working on the coldest February! Vying with the 1979 record. Several mornings below 0º F. We seldom get that. -4º is very cold! Well. At least for New Jersey.

I'll have to work on the Pi Day souvenirs for my first finds since January 2!

blizzard.jpg

I'm sure he was just goofing around. And I don't have any percentages, but so many people who live in "the South" are Northern transplants, and think nothing of going the speed limit in 3" of snow, like some of us. :)

Oh I know he was just goofing around. We Minnesotans just like to pick on the southern folk when they get a little snow and close the schools and roads.

I have seen times when the snow buried some homes out in the western part of the state. Just like the east coast is getting hit by.

We get a blizzard and I am out in it, I just kick in the four wheel drive and go darn near the speed limit.

Two wheel drive, much slower. Put on the snowshoes that my daughter made for me and go caching.

Maybe find a snow snake or two. :blink:

blizzard.jpg

A blizzard actually has nothing to do with the snowfall total. Snowfall with 35 MPH winds for three hours or more is a blizzard. Ran across one of those a few years back on I-80. I couldn't see 15 feet in front of me! I ended up driving at 15 MPH on the Interstate!

I have always associated winds with snow as a blizzard more than just a lot of snow. If there is a not of wind, it might not be snowing at all and just the blowing snow can make conditions blizzard like.

Many years ago I was skiing at Squaw Valley and was making my way from the top of one of the chair lifts to an area that is somewhat protected by the wind. It was snowing and the wind really picked up when I got to a spot where a run came down from the top of a ridge where the wind notoriously blew snow down the slope. Visibility was already pretty bad but all of a sudden I couldn't see anything. Everything was completely white so I stopped to wait for a break in the wind. Then I felt myself go over a small bump. I had no idea that I was actually moving because there was not point of reference that I could see. I sat down for a short time, the wind let up and I was able to make it the rest of the way. That was a blizzard.

Geocaching in the snow, even when it's lightly snowing can be quite enjoyable. It can be beautiful and the quiet one finds in the woods after/during a light snowfall can be very peaceful. Add 30mph winds and temperature well below zero (it's -18F here right now) and it can be miserable even if you do manage to find a few caches.

On the west coast of Canada, we have snow too.............only ours is pink from the cherry blossoms! Our first honey and bumble bees have been sighted and the temperature is in the double digits. Not good for the ski hills, sadly. Back in 1996, it was a different story

is worth a look.

edit - It was worse in the country where we live, half an hour away, the snow was chest high on me and our cars buried, and we were stuck for 4 days....

Edited by popokiiti

Knowing we were gonna get nailed with snow again soon, my new neighbor (a cacher) and I hit one that only had a FTF-n-none a couple days ago.

No snowshoes, some odd reason it didn't dawn on me that around 3' of snow when she's only a little over 5' was gonna be a problem. :laughing:

We got it though, and she looked happy...

- We only got a bit more snow today, but now it's been sleeting on top for the past eight hours.

It'll pack the snow a bit and out comes the ice gear.

We have a newish "power trail" in town (16 caches so far), along a canal system. I've never done a power trail even in the slightest, and never intended to, but I like keeping my town pretty clean. So we decided to walk it instead of mind-numbingly driving it, a total of four miles. The canals are going to be filled with water within the next week or so, and we wanted to complete it before then.

Here's my "winter" picture from our caching day along the canals and orchards. The apricots are already in bloom.

0e2401de-46b7-4b85-8dab-ee04735e52aa_zps5r3edjda.jpg

Snatch You up some sort of nice and light sled with a nice paddle track, get out and have a blast :anitongue: I took this recommendation a little far with all the stuff I did to that sled the next summer :laughing: but you get the Idea

My 150+ HP caching beast makes the Long alaskan winters survivable, cachable, and actually... dare I say enjoyable. :)

Don't know what area of the world you are in, but Id say make the best out of it, grab a set of snowshoes and a little collapsable survival shovel that will get you out there, but budget permitting and area of the us permitting, I seriously recommend picking up some sort of sled, maybe not something insane, but anything reliable to get you out there, it really turns caching into a whole new game.