Is This Idea Possible?

GetYourGoat

Just placed my first geocache so obviously I've been thinking about cool cache containers and ideas.

One idea I had would be to hide a crate in a forest somewhere that is full of small containers and has a log book. When someone finds it they can sign the log, but are not to put tradeable items (trackables are the exception) into the crate, instead they have to take one of the small containers and place it within say...10 or 20 paces of the crate. If they find any containers around, they can only take the item in there if they return the container back to the crate (but could then place their own item and hide it somewhere they want).

Would this be conflicting with the cache density rule? Theoretically the mini caches aren't really caches at all, just extensions of the main one (no log books in them, just an item). Lets hear your thoughts :)

Just placed my first geocache so obviously I've been thinking about cool cache containers and ideas.

One idea I had would be to hide a crate in a forest somewhere that is full of small containers and has a log book. When someone finds it they can sign the log, but are not to put tradeable items (trackables are the exception) into the crate, instead they have to take one of the small containers and place it within say...10 or 20 paces of the crate. If they find any containers around, they can only take the item in there if they return the container back to the crate (but could then place their own item and hide it somewhere they want).

Would this be conflicting with the cache density rule? Theoretically the mini caches aren't really caches at all, just extensions of the main one (no log books in them, just an item). Lets hear your thoughts :)

Being a fan of hide n seek and swag, I'd be enjoy this concept. Can't see it breaking any guidelines.

I'm confused by your plan. As I understand what you want me to do if I am the FTF is to find your extra-large cache and sign the log, but am not supposed to trade swag - just take a mini-cache and place it 30 - 40 feet away? UNLESS if I'm a later finder, then I find your extra-large cache and sign the log, and I can trade swag only if I found one of the mini-caches that another previous finder left 30 - 40 feet from the cache?

Maybe it sounds good to you because you have gone over it numerous times with yourself, but can you explain it well enough on the cache page for everyone else to understand what you want them to do?

The "No ALR Rule" says you can request people follow those instructions, but you can't require them to play along. Strewing mini containers around the forest wouldn't violate the cache density rule, but may upset the land manager.

You would want to confer with your Reviewer and the Land Manager about this plan and get specific permission in this case.

Sounds like a fun idea.

You could ask if folks want to play that way, but saying they have to is an additional logging requirement, and no longer allowed.

They only have to sign the log. :)

People only need to sign the log, it would be no different if they found a micro cache, for example. The extra part is like a...mini game of sorts, where yes, there is a chance you aren't going to find an item. There wouldn't be anything saying that they have to find something etc, but if these would be the rules if they want to play the minigame:

• Don't leave tradeables in the main cache. Trackables are the only exception to this (as we don't want trackables getting lost)
  • If you would like to plant a child cache, you need to place a trade item inside it and then hide it somewhere within ten paces
  • Feel free to search for child caches, if you find one the tradeable item is yours if you place the container back in the main cache. If you want to hide that child container again you need to place a tradeable item in it

If I were to set this up I'd hide containers around to get it started off so that the FTF would have fun too if they wished.

I can foresee people finding the mini caches before the main one, thinking that they have found it but there is no log book, so they drop in a new log book, log their find and never find the actual cache.

Plus you would have no way of keeping track of the mini caches so you could end up with some geo-litter happening.

Keep up the creative thinking cos I like finding different caches, I'm just not sure that this one would work as you hope.

So you want people to litter?

Not a good idea in my mind.

The ideas sounds like fun, but I don't think it's practical. People won't follow instructions--look how the simple "Trade even or trade up" instruction is ignored.

I also see people finding one of the minis and logging it as a Find after adding a scrap of paper because there was no log.

I see trackables being left in the minis, next finder reports no trackable in the cache. Total confusion reigns.

Depending on the quality of your mini containers, I see them being taken and reused for the takers' own caches.

Thanks for all your input! I'll keep thinking of creative cache ideas :)

Thanks for taking all these negative comments in the spirit in which they were intended--as helpful advice. It seems that most people who have posted an idea that gets shot down even half this thoroughly end up resorting to whining "Why is everybody in this forum so mean? I'll never post any of my ideas here again."

I do like your creativity; please do continue to run your ideas through here.

Thanks for all your input! I'll keep thinking of creative cache ideas :)

I once found a large authentic Lock & Lock (kept the contents dry), with about 15 little plastic eggs (the Kinder chocolate kind). Each each held a little trinket. One egg held the log sheet. The fun part for swag lovers was to open up the eggs to see each of the little trinkets and hopefully find something you wanted to trade for. I added a handpainted lucky penny.

Thanks for taking all these negative comments in the spirit in which they were intended--as helpful advice. It seems that most people who have posted an idea that gets shot down even half this thoroughly end up resorting to whining "Why is everybody in this forum so mean? I'll never post any of my ideas here again."

I do like your creativity; please do continue to run your ideas through here.

^_^ It'll take a bit more than some constructive criticism to knock me over. Thank you!

I once found a large authentic Lock & Lock (kept the contents dry), with about 15 little plastic eggs (the Kinder chocolate kind). Each each held a little trinket. One egg held the log sheet. The fun part for swag lovers was to open up the eggs to see each of the little trinkets and hopefully find something you wanted to trade for. I added a handpainted lucky penny.

That's a great idea too, I'd love to find something like that :)

I have heard of caches that do contain multiple containers in side of a larger one, and you have to find the one that contains the logbook. I have also seen a 'wheel of fortune' type cache where there were a lot of film pots attached around the edge, and you had to find the one that contained the log.

As for taking a mini-container, and placing it nearby, I don't think that would work out well, as lots of others have pointed out. Personally, I would just log the find, and not both with the mini-containers.

Skye.