Geocaching Scholarship

KatnissRue

I am a senior in high school and am applying for scholarships and I was curious if there was a Geocaching one, but when I looked into it I found there was no such thing. Wouldn't it be cool if Groundspeak sponsored a scholarship for those pursuing a higher education? I can understand why this was never done before, but now the app exists (And yes, I'm aware of its faults) this could be a great way to really work with and educate a new generation about what Geocaching is.

Thoughts?

Why Groubdspeak? Why not any God manufacturers? Seems they're in more of a position to do so.

??

Wow, major auto correct failure. Although if youre powerful enough to manufacture a god, well you'll have no problem giving away a scolarship. Let's try again,

Why Groundspeak? Why not GPS manufacturers?

Edited by T.D.M.22

Why Groubdspeak? Why not any God manufacturers? Seems they're in more of a position to do so.

??

Wow, major auto correct failure. Although if youre powerful enough to manufacture a god, well you'll have no problem giving away a scolarship. Let's try again,

That could work too. I just think it could be great for kids who do enjoy this hobby.

??

That could work too. I just think it could be great for kids who do enjoy this hobby.

I doubt that you'll ever see a scholarship from a company for students that enjoy a hobby. In this case, our hobby uses some technical expertise and a company like Groundspeak or one of the GPS manufacturers might see the value in helping a student pursue an engineering or computer science degree with a focus on GIS (Geographic Information Systems).

??

I doubt that you'll ever see a scholarship from a company for students that enjoy a hobby. In this case, our hobby uses some technical expertise and a company like Groundspeak or one of the GPS manufacturers might see the value in helping a student pursue an engineering or computer science degree with a focus on GIS (Geographic Information Systems).

You're right. I just wish it was possible.

??

Well, Magellan has abandoned Geocachers (fired their one and only Geocaching liason), and won't even give away their units to event holders from my experience. When I tried to get one (and they used to give them away like crazy), I was told their corporate giveaway program currently had "no funding". So I wouldn't be expecting any scholarships there. :)

Garmin? Who knows.

P.S. Delorme and Lowrance have also given up on Geocaching (my opinion, of course).

??

Well, Magellan has abandoned Geocachers (fired their one and only Geocaching liason), and won't even give away their units to event holders from my experience. When I tried to get one (and they used to give them away like crazy), I was told their corporate giveaway program currently had "no funding". So I wouldn't be expecting any scholarships there. :)

Garmin? Who knows.

P.S. Delorme and Lowrance have also given up on Geocaching (my opinion, of course).

If you look at the technology used for geocaching it could open up a few other possibilities. Geocaching is a location based game and one of the primary ways to represent location is through the use of mapping software. GIS companies like ESRI, or Manifold, or even the Google Maps division might consider a scholarship for someone entering a technical degree.