Bad logs

We have recently hidden our first ever geocache in our home town, in what we thought was a good location. But yesterday we received a couple of bad logs mentioning dodging dog poo and litter... We put a lot of thought into where to hide it and I can honestly say that when we selected our hiding place there was no dog poo anywhere and hardly any litter. These bad logs could put off potential finders of our geocache and I have to admit its put a bit of a bad taste in our mouths. What is the best course of action now for us, is it bad etiquette to delete logs? The geocache in question is GC5KN54, have a look for yourselves at it and let us know what you think.

1423402037[/url]' post='5471329']

We have recently hidden our first ever geocache in our home town, in what we thought was a good location. But yesterday we received a couple of bad logs mentioning dodging dog poo and litter... We put a lot of thought into where to hide it and I can honestly say that when we selected our hiding place there was no dog poo anywhere and hardly any litter. These bad logs could put off potential finders of our geocache and I have to admit its put a bit of a bad taste in our mouths. What is the best course of action now for us, is it bad etiquette to delete logs? The geocache in question is GC5KN54, have a look for yourselves at it and let us know what you think.

I would go check just to be sure everything looks fine. Maybe take a photo of the area if it's not a spoiler. Post a note saying that there is no litter or dog poo at or near the cache location. Add the photo to your log.

The logs that mention dog mess are DNF's... (Did Not Find)

There is a possibility they have the wrong coordinates. Unless their description suggests to you that they are the correct coordinates.

You can delete the logs, but will upset the cachers. (Which probably isn't worth the hassle.)

Locations can -and do- change, and can change in a very short time. Maybe it's worth you checking the location?

A couple of things pop into my mind. One deals with the cache -- or logs, the other deals with bagged poo.

1] Being similar logs on the same date, it may be that both cachers mentioning bagged poo were geocaching together and were in the wrong location (together), having solved the puzzle (together)....

-- I also looked at those two cachers' profiles. All the caches they found on that day were the same... even mentioned in logs that they were together.

You may well be worried about it for naught.

2] Must ask, is it normal for folks using doggie poo bags to bag the poo and just toss it aside? I mean -- the poo is degradable, but the baggie is not! What gives? Sounds more to me that people of Wem go out of their way to make litter.

I think DNF logs are often whiny ;-)

I wonder if their solution was correct? is the final in an alley?

Conditions can change. What was pleasant enough when you placed it may now have discarded poo bags. That would turn me off, even if I found the cache.

I would never delete a legit log that wasn't profane, or in violation of the terms of use in some other way.

I would go check just to be sure everything looks fine. Maybe take a photo of the area if it's not a spoiler. Post a note saying that there is no litter or dog poo at or near the cache location. Add the photo to your log.

Great idea. A scenic photo would eliminate any concerns of prospective seekers.

A couple of things pop into my mind. One deals with the cache -- or logs, the other deals with bagged poo.

1] Being similar logs on the same date, it may be that both cachers mentioning bagged poo were geocaching together and were in the wrong location (together), having solved the puzzle (together)....

-- I also looked at those two cachers' profiles. All the caches they found on that day were the same... even mentioned in logs that they were together.

You may well be worried about it for naught.

2] Must ask, is it normal for folks using doggie poo bags to bag the poo and just toss it aside? I mean -- the poo is degradable, but the baggie is not! What gives? Sounds more to me that people of Wem go out of their way to make litter.

Yes, they likely were in the wrong location, and perhaps a geo checker is needed, but with DNFs people end up finding plenty of things that most others don't.

I don't think it's " normal" for folks to discard dog poo like that, but it sure seems to be popular in places around here. Going for a walk and noticing multiple bags of poo hanging from trees and bushes is certainly bizarre. I can only suspect that in these cases it's the same person who has a daily routine to walk their pet in the same place, although being that it's biodegradable the habit makes little sense. There's a spot around here where there are dozens of full garbage bags dumped every fall, full of leaves. :blink: That's what game cameras and YouTube are for.

Great idea. A scenic photo would eliminate any concerns of prospective seekers.

I would then email the DNFing cachers and tell them everything is great at the cache :D and ask them for their solution so you could determine if they had the wrong solution. :blink:

Here are my suggestions:

Please do not delete the logs; they will soon drop off the first page. Instead, check out the area (again); take a trash bag and pick up whatever litter is there. Contact the DNFers to ask if they were in the right area. If appropriate, post an Owner Maintenance log to say that they weren't and that the right area is clean. Add a coordinate checker to your listing.

Edit: Having looked at the puzzle and partially solved it, I think a coordinate checker is probably not needed for this puzzle; can't say for sure because I didn't finish the puzzle.

Edited by NanCycle

As others suggested, check on the cache location. I would also post an "Owner Maintenance" log, because if I am scanning logs and see any negatives and then that green plus sign, I assume all is well. A "Write Note" would also do it. Either way, something that shows up on the timeline. Posting a photo is great, but that wouldn't tell me if you took the photo before the location was, er, poo bombed or degraded in some way.

I wonder if their solution was correct? is the final in an alley?

Conditions can change. What was pleasant enough when you placed it may now have discarded poo bags. That would turn me off, even if I found the cache.

I would never delete a legit log that wasn't profane, or in violation of the terms of use in some other way.

From the FTF log (hey, can you delete that one for excessive use of smileys? :lol: ) and those DNF's, I am leaning towards the cache being a blinky nano in an alley. I guess we'll have to wait until the OP comes back though.

Well those two who complained about the dog poo were caching together, so it's only one experience. Having just solved the puzzle I suspect they were in the right area. I think if I was you I would add a more specific hint as "magnetic" probably leaves a lot of possibilities in that location.

I don't think you should delete their logs, as others have mentioned maybe go and have a look yourself. One of my early hides had a similar comment from one of the first finders, but nobody else mentioned it in several hundred finds, and I didn't see any when I checked the GZ.

I think you're thinking about this wrong. It makes no sense that someone would lie about this, so you should take it as valid input and deal with it, not consider getting rid of the comments by deleting the log. These comments aren't even rude.

If you really can't figure out what they're talking about, then send them mail and ask. Not only is this the simplest approach to getting to the bottom of the problem, it also forces you to think of them and treat them as friends willing to be helpful. That might help get out of your head the idea that they're opponents whose comments need to be deleted.

I don't delete log entries as a general policy, unless they violate the Terms of Use for the site.

Right off, I'd say you might have been kind of setting yourself up for this sort of scenario by putting out a Puzzle listing as your first cache. Generally speaking, many of the Notes and log entries tend to be on the snarkier range of things, judging from my experience. Too late now, but I would have suggested a Traditional or easy Multi as first cache, but maybe that's just me.

Good luck with the cache!

I'm also in the UK (like the OP), and sadly it's not unusual to find plastic bags of dog poo. In recent years there's been a very strong message that dog walkers should bag it and bin it, but unfortunately there are far too many cretins who having bagged it, if there isn't a bin handy, refuse to carry it to a bin (or take it home) and so throw it in a hedge/over a fence. As you rightly say if they just left it there it would be gone in a couple of days, but once it's in a plastic bag it's there for years. It's one thing that REALLY annoys me :mad:

These bad logs could put off potential finders of our geocache and I have to admit its put a bit of a bad taste in our mouths. What is the best course of action now for us, is it bad etiquette to delete logs? The geocache in question is GC5KN54, have a look for yourselves at it and let us know what you think.

I would not delete the logs (but your mileage may vary :anicute:). Are they "Found It" logs? One of my caches seems to be developing an ever-increasing number of deer carcasses, and I've yet to see those. I've looked! My caches aren't hidden along the upscale sort of trails where dog poop is tied into bags and the bags placed at the side of the trail. I imagine that those people also store and catalog their own poop, in a fancy display cabinet at home. I don't even wanna know. Whatever, they are saving dog poop for future generations. If you hear why, don't tell me. I don't wanna know.

FTF on one of my caches was stung by "the wasp", which has since menaced others. I've never noticed a wasp there, and I don't get stung. So why not have a log that informs people who do. It's part of the whole caching experience thing. It's info. If poop or wasp may keep people away, some brave souls will still come.

Several of my caches seem to start with the finder having a terrible experience, and making a point to state how bad the cache is. The ones where I specified that cachers should seek the better path and not through the thorns, are especially frustrating to me, when the log is about how badly they were cut up by the thorns :rolleyes:.

I don't delete them. But I may be developing a permanent face-palm print.

Edited by kunarion

I solved just enough of your puzzle to get the coordinates and, if the coords are accurate, I doubt anyone would end up looking in the wrong place as there's only one possible solution.

Location does look somewhat urban and also just the sort of place lazy dog owners would take advantage of.

I'd be tempted to go and take a look and if it turns out the logs are accurate move the cache somewhere better.

I enjoy jigsaw puzzles. That one was fun, but a bit evil. Took me an hour and forty-five minutes to complete the jigsaw. I had the solution quite a bit earlier. The solution is obvious. The only problem I could see was that the DNFers might have substituted E for W? That would be the only possible reason for using Geochecker.

Nice puzzle!

I think it's the nature of online communications that is coming into play here. When we speak face to face with someone, we use a lot of non-verbal body language which lets us know if the speaker is truly annoyed or just being sarcastic.

I am trying (still learning!) not take logs as a personal attack or message. A recent DNF on one of my caches said the cache would be better known as rubbish. I had ignored the previous DNF because the cacher had zero finds. But this cacher had several thousand finds so I did a check - and then logged an owner maintenance saying that the cache was where it was supposed to be and in good condition.

I had to restrain myself from responding to their rubbish comment and I am glad I did because that would have just reflected on me, rather than them. Hopefully with a few more logs, their comment will drop off the page.

Good luck to the OP with your hides.

I enjoy jigsaw puzzles. That one was fun, but a bit evil. Took me an hour and forty-five minutes to complete the jigsaw. I had the solution quite a bit earlier. The solution is obvious. The only problem I could see was that the DNFers might have substituted E for W? That would be the only possible reason for using Geochecker.

Nice puzzle!

If they did substitute E or W they'd be searching in the ocean. There was one digit that might have been different but looking at it on the map would have had the cache in someones backyard. Even with the coordinates I got, it wasn't real obvious how to get to GZ.

I also looked at the two poo comments and it looks like they came from two people that always cache together. It's certainly possible a local dog owner doesn't understand the concept of trading even or trading up.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

:unsure:

Honest = bad ?

Truth = bad ?

That would be really petty to delete logs that you don't like. The folks looked for your cache, and for whatever reason, they found what they found.

Did you know that deleted logs can be reinstated? If the cachers complain to Groundspeak about unfairly deleted logs, GS can reinstate those logs.

I used to enjoy doing those online jigsaw puzzles, but that one is too tedious for me. I could see a way to cut to the important part, but since I'm not going to be anywhere near the cache location, I couldn't be bothered.

B.

Maybe you should reconsider if cache ownership is for you. Not all logs are sugar coated.

Yes, there is truth in this. Often finders are more likely to be critical on a DNF (or in some cases more honest!).

Let's assume there is a lot of trash/poo there (and that changed recently). If someone makes a quick find, they may mention the trash/etc, but more likely they will just say they found it, thanks. If they looked for half an hour, and picked up all sorts of bits of trash thinking that might be the cache, they are much more likely to mention it.

Hi ive found alot of caches since i started in 2004 and in all those logs i have never mentioned dog poo or litter,im too busy looking for the cache to be concerned about it, i do think more and more folks are getting precious, and to be trendy you do have to have an allergy these days, jeff=bones1.

Hi ive found alot of caches since i started in 2004 and in all those logs i have never mentioned dog poo or litter,im too busy looking for the cache to be concerned about it, i do think more and more folks are getting precious, and to be trendy you do have to have an allergy these days, jeff=bones1.

I always think it's a shame that people aren't honest in their logs when they reach a GZ and fail to mention potential hazards for the benefit of both cache owners and future finders as not only does this erode, for me at least, the sense of community but also often sets up a perpetual circle resulting in more such hides.

Still - if it's all about the smiley - play on :(

I always think it's a shame that people aren't honest in their logs when they reach a GZ and fail to mention potential hazards for the benefit of both cache owners and future finders as not only does this erode, for me at least, the sense of community but also often sets up a perpetual circle resulting in more such hides.

Still - if it's all about the smiley - play on :(

Yeah, I don't really see what's "precious" about not wanting to step in dog poo or get tetanus.

Mentioning issues in a log alerts other cachers AND the owner. Maybe there wasn't dog poo and garbage when the cache was placed, but some jerk has come along since and dumped stuff there. It's a good thing to know.

Honestly, I know that it can be a little exasperating to read about your own cache having a problem like that and sometimes people exaggerate things, but I'd rather be tipped off so I can check it out for myself.

Maybe you should reconsider if cache ownership is for you. Not all logs are sugar coated.

Most logs are sugar coated.

Usually there is no indication of any problems until a DNF. An entire page of TFTC means what, exactly? Either the cache was lousy, or the logger was lazy? T

That's until someone can't find it. This means they don't get a smiley, so they are already upset. It also means that the 2 minute quick search turns into a 30 minute forensic investigation of the eating, drinking, and sexual habits of everyone who left evidence nearby GZ.

:unsure:

Honest = bad ?

Truth = bad ?

Nitpicky = bad?

I agree the OP shouldn't delete the logs. But something like dog poo or litter occasionally shows up in an otherwise good locations through no fault of the cache owner. If the finder DNFs the cache it often means they searched a bigger area and maybe did a closer inspection than otherwise.

I recall one cache in nice park on the palisades overlooking the Pacific ocean that took me several trips to find where you don't want to know what I did find hanging in a bush. Guess watching the sunset can be really romantic :unsure:

We've been back for a look at the area, and whilst there is no poo about to be stepped in, there is admittedly some litter if the search for the cache was expanded. We did find one discarded poo bag a few feet from gz. Signal here is not the best and I can understand why they may have searched further up. We have decided to move the cache to another location in the town, which involves changing the puzzle . I will make it a bit more easier to solve and hopefully less tedious. I only mentioned log deletion as we are new to acing caches and I didn't know the etiquette... It's best to find out first rather than to do it and then get in trouble. I do think cache ownership IS for us, just need to learn from our mistakes and think a little more carefully about placement. We couldn't post photos of the area as it would give away final location. As a previous poster has mentioned, a DNF log can sound whiny, but at least they logged the DNF unlike some who seem to be anti DNF and refuse to do it. Many thanks once again for the feedback it's been valuable and its really helped us with our decision.

Happy caching everybody :)

Chocolate Lundi

We've been back for a look at the area, and whilst there is no poo about to be stepped in, there is admittedly some litter if the search for the cache was expanded. We did find one discarded poo bag a few feet from gz. Signal here is not the best and I can understand why they may have searched further up. We have decided to move the cache to another location in the town, which involves changing the puzzle . I will make it a bit more easier to solve and hopefully less tedious. I only mentioned log deletion as we are new to acing caches and I didn't know the etiquette... It's best to find out first rather than to do it and then get in trouble. I do think cache ownership IS for us, just need to learn from our mistakes and think a little more carefully about placement. We couldn't post photos of the area as it would give away final location. As a previous poster has mentioned, a DNF log can sound whiny, but at least they logged the DNF unlike some who seem to be anti DNF and refuse to do it. Many thanks once again for the feedback it's been valuable and its really helped us with our decision.

Chocolate Lundi

We all learn from our mistakes but be aware that no matter how "perfect" you get your cache, there will always be logs come in that aren't of the glowing type. Doesn't matter if your cache is a big ole container filled with great swag, placed next to a beautiful waterfall, with exotic animals running about,, you'll still get TFTCs and people complaining about something. There's just no way you can make everyone happy.

This being said, i really didn't see any of the logs on your cache as being bad. Yes, they were more negative sounding but they were helpful. From what you stated above, they may have had some exaggeration thrown in but they did give you a heads up to a potential problem.

I know your goal is to place a great cache. Believe me, many of us appreciate that. Just remember that things do change over time, many times not for the best. One little thing, such as someone throwing out a poo bag near your cache, can put the negativity train in motion. You have to realize that this can happen no matter where you place a cache. :mellow:

Edited by Mudfrog

Chocolate Lundi

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing based on one person's log. If you feel the need to defend it, post a note...but don't let one negative log cause you to change your whole cache.

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing based on one person's log. If you feel the need to defend it, post a note...but don't let one negative log cause you to change your whole cache.

That's my thought, too. There's a pretty cool cache around me that is a huge ammo box in a nice wooded area. The CO even mentions that the nearby neighbors know about the cache and gives very specific parking coordinates. It's been around for years. I found it a few weeks ago and, while reading through the past logs, found this little gem:

What a joke this is......NO PLACE TO PARK,,,,,,EVERYWHERE IS PRIVATE LAND......COVERED UP WITH POISON IVY AND STICKERS AND BRIARS.......UP AND DOWN GULLEYS AND STEEP HILLS......AND [CO] RATES IT A 1- 1 1/2...THIS IS MY FIRST AND LAST CACHE I WILL EVER ATTEMPT FROM THIS GUY. SL GOT LOST GOING BACK TO THE CAR....HITCHED HIKED.....THREW UP.....MOST MISERABLE CACHE EVER.

The other 100+ logs since 2005 have been pretty positive. Sometimes someone is just having a bad day... :laughing:

As I read it, the change wasn't based on one person's log, it was based on revisiting the area and finding that that log had credence.

Hopefully the CO visited the site more than once when getting coordinates and placing the cache. He should have a better idea as to the usual 'cleanliness' of the location. I'm in the camp of let it stand, as is, for at least another three or four months. In the mean time, work on your next cache. I spent about 10 minutes getting the coordinates from the puzzle. I thought that was a nice puzzle, with a really cool story/local history lesson. Good job on it.

Chocolate Lundi

I wouldn't necessarily make the puzzle easier. If I lived anywhere near you, I would just make sure I allowed plenty of time to solve the puzzle and I'd go for it--at least it is one that I know how to solve. Just one concern, is there a way to save the partially solved puzzle? If so, it would be nice (but not necessary) if you explained how to save it; if not, it would be nice if you provided a heads-up to that issue.

As I read it, the change wasn't based on one person's log, it was based on revisiting the area and finding that that log had credence.

Not really how I read it.

We've been back for a look at the area, and whilst there is no poo about to be stepped in, there is admittedly some litter if the search for the cache was expanded. We did find one discarded poo bag a few feet from gz. Signal here is not the best and I can understand why they may have searched further up.

Any good hiding place can turn bad if you expand your search far enough.

Yes I see lots of filled poo bags along trails. To me that is worse than leaving the poo exposed to the elements to decompose. But what really confuses me more is that a dog can leave a cup of waste and it is a big deal, but a horse can dump a wheelbarrow full in the same spot and that's OK.

Yes I see lots of filled poo bags along trails. To me that is worse than leaving the poo exposed to the elements to decompose. But what really confuses me more is that a dog can leave a cup of waste and it is a big deal, but a horse can dump a wheelbarrow full in the same spot and that's OK.

I believe that dog waste is considered more toxic than the waste of horses or cattle and that the underlying reason why dog waste contains more nasties is their canine diet.

Apparently dog waste is considered an environmental pollutant!

In the springtime I go out to a forest near my house with a shovel and toss the poo out into the woods (where the coyote, fox, raccoon, deer, squirrel, etc. poo). Can't see it, then there's less anxiety about poo. Instead of a shovel, branches are a quick easy tool for poo flinging. I think dog owners feel socially compelled to put it into a bag rather than toss it off trail. Some of them hang the bag to visually remind themselves to pick it up on the way back. More trash cans would be a good idea. I know a wooded trail that saw a noticeable decrease in dog doo on the trails once they added a trash can at the trailhead. It was always filled with filled dog bags (and Tim Horton cups, and water bottles).