Category Proposal : Wallace fountains

Hello waymarkers !

I have created a new group named Wallace Lovers which goal is to create a new category in Waymarking : The Wallace Fountains.

As this is a good explanation, here is a description from Wikipedia article :

"Wallace fountains are public drinking fountains designed by Charles-Auguste Lebourg that appear in the form of small cast-iron sculptures scattered throughout the city of Paris, France, mainly along the most-frequented sidewalks. They are named after the Englishman Richard Wallace, who financed their construction. A great aesthetic success, they are recognized worldwide as one of the symbols of Paris."

Why creating a new category ?

- Wallace fountains are not real fountains. Even if some are accepted in the fountain categories, now officers don't want to add it anymore, It's more "drinking spots" than real fountains.

- Their specific design make it really cool ! It's part of Paris history, and it's sad that it can't be waymarked...

- Four different designs, not only big fountains, but also little ones in the parks.

- More than 100 fountains in Paris

- More than 80 in France (according to Wikipedia, but I believe there is more and not all the fountains are listed).

- 10 or more fountains in the rest of the world (USA, CAN...).

- I already have photos and coordinates of some fountains in Paris and in France to begin the category.

So here are my questions :

- Do you think this category would be a great addition to Waymarking ?

- If yes, how do I start working of this ? Is someone interested to help ?

Thank you for reading and have a nice day ;)

Nice fountains, but more or less concentrated to a very limited geographic area. I don't think this could work.

There were discussions in this forum some years ago. What means prevalent or global? And there were no clear results, but I guess, a category with less than 1000 potentional waymarks that does not cover at least a third of the 15 strongest Waymarking nations does not really have a chance in peer review. I am not against it, but I would not risk it personally.

Maybe there is a chance to extend the idea to something more valid. My hometown Basel, Switzerland also has a distict design of historic drinking fountains, they are found in tourist places all over the city, but also as typical gifts in other countries, there are copies even in China and Russia.

Two types are still not enough, but maybe there are more. If e find more typical municipal drinking fountains that are "iconic" enough to be found as sister city monuments abroad or similar, then this could maybe work.

They are called basilisk fountains. The basin and base are cast iron, the water comes out of a bronze basilisk statue, all are painted in dark green.

The first 19 fountains were introduced around 1892. Today there about 28 in the city and maybe a dozen in other cities, in Switzerland, Germany, France, Austria, China, Russia.

There is a Wikipedia article, but only in German and Alemannic: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilisken-Brunnen, at least there is a picture.

This give me another idea !

After searching the web for drinking fountains, I found that in many cities of Europe and America, there is what we can call "public aesthetical drinking fountains". Each great city have at least one in municipal parks or plazas. Not only casual drinking fountains, bu something more elaborated, in a vintage or modern style.

Here is the new suggestion : What about creating a category to waymark those "public aesthetical drinking fountains" ?

This give me another idea !

After searching the web for drinking fountains, I found that in many cities of Europe and America, there is what we can call "public aesthetical drinking fountains". Each great city have at least one in municipal parks or plazas. Not only casual drinking fountains, bu something more elaborated, in a vintage or modern style.

Here is the new suggestion : What about creating a category to waymark those "public aesthetical drinking fountains" ?

I am not convinced. Those terms like "aesthetical", "special" or "unique" bring some subjectivity that can be a problem. It is much better when a waymarker can know in advance if a find would be accepted, and does not depend on the personal measurement of an officer.

If I remember correctly, drinking fountain categories have been declined twice in the past. So the next try must not make the same mistakes, that made the others fail. Iconic local drinking fountains with a special design, a wikipedia article, where miniature copies are sold in tourist shops, that is an approach that has the potential to succeed, I think. There is just the problem, that we need a handful of additional cities to achieve critical mass, and I personally do not know any.

Anyone else?

I've seen many drinking spots in Georgia. Probably they are common in most hot-climate countries.

Changing the name to 'Drinking fountains' makes sense. The term 'Wallace Fountains' would be hardly understood worldwide. It's too specific.

But if you can waymark every drinking fountain, you have a MAJOR over-prevalence problem. There are 500,000 drinking fountains in Dallas County ALONE.