Do you keep a paper/computer log that's not geocaching.com?

camelli25

I am considering to start a paper or computer log besides the one online at geocaching.com. I would like to add things like extra pictures (maybe even spoiler pictures, close-ups of GZ), extra hints or where the hide is, additional info on the hunt, how I solved a puzzle, etc. Stuff that I wouldn't include in my online log because it would spoil the game for others.

Does anybody do this? What info do you add to your log? What program do you use? If you could share a picture of your solution, I would appreciate it lot. I am looking for some ideas on how to do this without to reinvent the wheel. Thanks in advance.

Yes. I keep one of sorts. I have the Track-logs of almost every cache find since some time in 2008. I keep the "Tracks" file updated with tracklogs and do a multi-backup to three systems every few months. For the last couple years, I've also added the cache finds to that same file(to include the stages of multis and puzzles).

This has come in handy a few times. Such as I haven't logged caches from when we moved yet... but still have the data. I'll be logging caches tomorrow(Hopefully *New son makes the plans each day.)

The Steaks

For me, GSAK is the center of my caching setup, not the gc web site.

I keep notes on puzzles, correct coordinates, add additional waypoints, then filter stuff before loading up my gps receivers. PQ's and such all feed into GSAK.

On the opposite end, I upload field notes from my gps to GSAK, then use that to expand and type out better logs, then I upload that to the gc website.

The gc website got the idea of corrected coordinates and notes from GSAK, these have been features in GSAK since pretty much day one, well over ten years ago, both ideas have only been incorporated onto the website in the last year or two.

The biggest advantage to GSAK is I can be completely off grid and still have access to substantial amounts of data.

Edited by Potato Finder

We used to copy cache pages, adding info to it (stage coords, cache locations, etc) and store 'em in huge ledger binders.

My other 2/3rds was kinda proud of her scrapbook-like setup and would sometimes take it to events (along with coins) - that show and tell thing folks do with their pals.

We soon realized why people were hounding us, instead of mailing the CO... we kept records.

CJ felt uncomfortable and I don't play that way.

Haven't done it for some time now, I delete all caches from the GPSr, and pitch any paper notes to the burn barrel at the end of the day ( my dyslexic noggin's not remembering...), yet some still ask.

Now we only keep mini composition books for hunting, fishing and rock/boulder areas.

Basically a list of parking coords, fish/game found, or terrain ratings.

I am considering to start a paper or computer log besides the one online at geocaching.com. I would like to add things like extra pictures (maybe even spoiler pictures, close-ups of GZ), extra hints or where the hide is, additional info on the hunt, how I solved a puzzle, etc. Stuff that I wouldn't include in my online log because it would spoil the game for others.

Does anybody do this? What info do you add to your log? What program do you use? If you could share a picture of your solution, I would appreciate it lot. I am looking for some ideas on how to do this without to reinvent the wheel. Thanks in advance.

I bought a pocket-sized Indiana-Jones-style journal (paper book), and write anything of Geocaching interest in it, if it won't be in an online log. It's not really a detailed journal of Geocaching. It's mainly for notes while scouting new cache sites, but I also write waypoints, TB tracking numbers, puzzle info (partial bonus cache coords, symbols, codes in work, etc.), even maps or drawings. I bring it with me, but unlike cerberus1's other 2/3rds, I don't show it around :anicute:.

I save photos of caching trips in directories with the date and area name, on my computer. Those have spoilers or whatever may come in handy at some time.

I bought a pocket-sized Indiana-Jones-style journal (paper book), and write anything of Geocaching interest in it, if it won't be in an online log. It's not really a detailed journal of Geocaching. It's mainly for notes while scouting new cache sites, but I also write waypoints, TB tracking numbers, puzzle info (partial bonus cache coords, symbols, codes in work, etc.), even maps or drawings. I bring it with me, but unlike cerberus1's other 2/3rds, I don't show it around :anicute:.

To be clear, she'd bring it to compare with friends how they made up theirs, not for sharing info...

Back in the olden days, when the yellow eTrex would not list the cache page and hints, we used the Paw Pilot for the cache page. Times have changed, and the Paw Pilot is no longer supported. And we can download the cache page to the eTrex 30. But it is great for listing the caches that we have found, and any comments. Then we log at home via the computer. I also do have an Excel Spreadsheet listing all cache I have found.

It might not be excactly what you are asking but i felt like telling you i have 24,747 print outs of all the caches i have found in 76 ring binders for geocaching .com,right back to 2004 with the log,clues,values,any relevant details and workings out if it is a puzzle, the final co-ordinates where they were needed,in date/number order so a complete record of all my cache finds and all of my dnfs aswell, lots of times cachers have phoned me for a value etc of a cache where the log book is in a state and they cannot read the clue value etc,or to check the final answer they have. a bit like a geocaching find library,hope you wanted to know that (:(:(:(: jeff=bones1.

I cached for years via paper, then moved to a PDA, but never posted them (ans subsequently lost it all in a housefire). Back in the paper days, I kept quite a bit of written information about the cache. Somehow, I felt that posting my caches was an invasion of privacy. Now, GC.com and you guys being able to guess what city I live in by my most frequently visited caches is the least of my concerns. Ahhh, complacency at it's finest.

I'm more spontaneous now, and don't really feel like keeping notes any longer, so it kind of works out for me, though I wish there was an easy way to keep pictures along with caches, but I don't really feel like shelling out the dough for a GPSr with a camera built in.

Edited by awdemuth

On the Personal Cache Note I note day solved (if an at your desk puzzle), solved/final coords, how solved (ex: Hex>Binary>ASCII), and any additional hints given in the puzzle or geocheck.

In GSAK I will keep the corrected coords for the Final and usually save the physical stages for future proximity checks.

Additional photos go in a photo file on my computer by date, and usually on Facebook as many friends like to follow my caching journeys.

I keep all of my Finds (and To Finds) in BaseCamp.

GeoCache-type waypoints in BaseCamp are treated differently/specially compared to other waypoints -- both in good ways and bad. They automatically change icon when going from Not Yet Found to Found, and they have the D & T ratings, an area for the hint (with Decrypt button), a tab for Cache Logs, and so on.

Unfortunately, you cannot enter in any notes into a GeoCache, even though it is still just a waypoint after all -- a waypoint with extensions. But the GUI does not allow you to add your own Notes like a regular waypoint.

That's OK in my case, because anything that I thought about the cache when finding it has been entered into the on-line Found It log, of course!

If I want to make some notes about a cache before looking for it, I just edit the downloaded GPX file before loading it into BaseCamp and my GPSr. B)

I have a trackable geoknot lanyard that I use to log not only my finds by logging it as visiting geocaches, but also my own personal geocaching journal. I can post spoiler pictures, notes or my own non-geocaching journal notes. What is nice is that the geocaching site keeps track of how many miles the trckable lanyard has traveled overall as well as between each geocache.