I've received a message and am not sure what to do with it

hal90oo

Hello,

The other day I received an email [personal message through the geocaching website] from someone claiming to be messaging geocachers on behalf of Thorntons, with the following message:

Hi, I'm currently working on behalf of Thorntons to create a nationwide easter egg hunt. Would you be interested in placing a cache on behalf of Thorntons in return for a free hamper?

We are happy to send out the geocache kit to you along with the Thorntons voucher to be placed inside.

If this is something you would be interested in, if so please do get in touch :)

If I were to go through with this, I'd like to know if this is legit or not, or if anyone else has received this kind of mail,

Thanks

Edited by hal90oo

Does rather sound like it's "Commercial" and as such should really have the backing of Groundspeak.

(You could always say 'Yes' and use the voucher yourself... ;) )

There have been other 'Promotions' in the past, but were never successful, for one reason or another.

(Outdoor clothing company comes to mind)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hello,

The other day I received an email [personal message through the geocaching website] from someone claiming to be messaging geocachers on behalf of Thorntons, with the following message:

Hi, I'm currently working on behalf of Thorntons to create a nationwide easter egg hunt. Would you be interested in placing a cache on behalf of Thorntons in return for a free hamper?

We are happy to send out the geocache kit to you along with the Thorntons voucher to be placed inside.

If this is something you would be interested in, if so please do get in touch :)

Before I go through with this, I'd like to know if this is legit or not, or if anyone else has received this kind of mail,

Thanks

Even if it is genuine, any cache placed would be a "commercial" cache and wouldn't get published

It's been discussed at length on Facebook Geocaching groups. The consensus seems to be:

1. It's a legit marketing company.

2. It's not a scam.

3. While they have been contacting some cachers through their GC.com profiles, they have also contacted others via their own websites/blogs.

4. Groundspeak have disabled some of the accounts which they used to contact cachers.

5. They may be intending to place "caches" to be publicised on their own websites/literature, the caches aren't necessarily going to be listed on Geocaching.com, and hence it's none of Groundspeak's business (except using geocaching.com for the initial contact).

I have no association with any of this, and haven't been contacted myself, I'm just passing on what I've learned in the last few days.

If you're on facebook then look on the "Geocaching UK" group, where there have been a few discussions.

Hello,

Hi, I'm currently working on behalf of Thorntons to create a nationwide easter egg hunt. Would you be interested in placing a cache on behalf of Thorntons in return for a free [red] hamper?[/red]

If I were to go through with this, I'd like to know if this is legit or not, or if anyone else has received this kind of mail,

Thanks

Free hamster?

Groundspeak should definitely get behind this promotion. :)

My email through geocaching.com just said "Would you be interested in setting up a geocache in return for a chocolate hamper from a well known UK brand? :)" and came from username tomdawkins who had chosen not to send his email address. I checked the profile and found that the account had been set up that day. (edited here for clarity) It was locked at about the same time as Groundspeak responded to my complaint about receiving an apparently commercial post through their system.

Tom Dawkins is employed by the marketing company Caliberi - it's rather unfortunate that he shares his name with the Australian behind StartSomeGood.

Edited by MBFace

You will never get it past the reviewer ...

... especially now. If you manage to get it past the reviewer ... somehow ... someone will report it to the reviewer. Then the reviewer will hate you. Each time you upset a reviewer a kitten dies. Please think of the kitten before you embark on this reckless, chocolate addiction fueled, break away faction, bahaviour.