Why Pocket Queries?

Squirrely

Okay, so what is the point of a Pocket Query? I've been at this for 9 months now and have fooled around with setting them up, but I don't see the point. Are you able to Geocache without eating up data on your phone? I could see the benefit if using a dedicated GPS with Pocket Queries. But for Smartphones? Sell me on this concept. Will it make my life easier? Should I bother with a Pocket Query?

The most obvious benefit is for dedicated GPS handhelds.

But even with phones, it's a nice way to filter exactly the types of caches you want to see, or preload your phone with a PQ when you have good wifi or cell service so if you are in an area with little or no cell reception, you can still cache. It's also faster if it's preloaded vs having to load up caches one by one on demand.

While I have long stopped using PQs and now use the API call as a replacement it allows me to download all the caches in an area, place them on a map and plan where I want to go and cache. I can spot trails to hike/bike that I can go on. However 99% of my caching is hike/bike. If you are just going out and doing the find closest over and over then they probably aren't that useful.

For people using smartphones exclusively the usefulness is reduced.

You seem to get around a bit. Ever stumble into an area with no cell coverage? Or... do you avoid such areas?

Therein is probably the best answer. Add to that, filtering out the caches you DON'T want to chase after.

Should you want to geocache in another country... say Canada (you're close enough) or Mexico and elsewhere, pocket queries allow for pre-loading caches without having to pay the exorbitant fees for getting "live" data.

Edit to add: Correct me if I am wrong, but loading pocket queries via Wifi doesn't use up your data, does it?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
Are you able to Geocache without eating up data on your phone?
Yes. And as others indicated, you can also load geocache data with a PQ, and then use that data in an area without phone service.

I've also used PQs as an easy way to download caches from a bookmark list, whether that bookmark list is my own "solved unfound puzzles" list, or a list of caches in a particular series. Although CacheSense (the Android app I'm trying out at the moment) apparently lets you download bookmark lists without going through a PQ first.

I've also used PQs as a form of advanced search. I created PQs that I never intended to run; I only ever "previewed" them. For example, when I'm looking through the puzzle caches in an area, I might use a PQ to identify likely candidates. When I solve them, I move them to my "solved unfound puzzles" list, and that's the list that I eventually download. But the new advanced search feature for premium members may make that obsolete. (I need to renew my PM and find out for myself.)

And in addition to sending PQ data to a handheld GPSr, some people send PQs to third-party database apps like GSAK or GeoGet or MacCaching.