Is the cache thief back?

lostinjersey

I was just notified that by Roosteroo that my Van Slyke Castle cache was found on the trail, plundered. He says...

<<Hello, my name is Keith. I have become responsable for trail maint. on the castle point trail that your geocache Van Slyke's castle is on. Today I was out on the trail to do maint. and decided to check on the cache along the way. I found it out in the open empty. Very water logged geocache notice nearby with bowling pin dealy. Looked around in hopes to recover the log book. No such luck. I took what I found, what would you like to do? Let me know as I do have the container and enjoyed this cache very much.>>

For those who found this cache, you know that the odds of being stumbled onto are slim to none. Set back from the ruins is the remains of a basement, just walls and a stairs with a railing. it was stashed under the stairrs and the entire area was ringed with barbed wire, whoops, excuse me, thorn bushes. Very few people would go down there because theres nothing to see that cant be seen from the top. And what reason would anyone have to stick their hands under the stairs? Plus it had camo tape making it harder to see.

Logically I must assume it was stolen. I am wondering if anyone else has had their cache stolen. I recall finding Cheeky's Hideout was turned upside down and scattered but not so badly that it was irreparable, and that almost a year ago to the day. Wondering if anyone else has found any dumped caches, stolen caches, etc.

william

alt.gif

An arundo donax is a reed, often confused with bamboo which is used in the making of musical instruments. In others words it lets hot air create a lot of noise. Who knew?

The strangest thing was this cache was not stolen but the container was laying under the stairs in the open, empty. It appeared that the contents were taken and the container just left behind. Open. The only thing near the area was a washed out geocache.com message and one of the trade items i recognized from my visit. When i found the cache the first time it wasnt just laying in the open, but covered with leaves and not easy to see.

I found the contents of Lucien's Siver Sun, in Westchester, dumped out on the ground on June 16th. Though it had been closed up, it was wet inside. This cache was in a very busy area, and the find could have been accidental, as there were beer bottles nearby.

I hope not. The area where your cache is hidden is a very popular one. Even though it was well concealed, there is a possibility that some geomuggle stumbled on it. If you get enough people

visiting an area, someone is bound to stumble on something eventually.

I really hope this was the case.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

there is a possibility that some geomuggle stumbled on it. ....I really hope this was the case.

me too. i just dont see people reaching underneath the stairs you know? of course if it wasnt stashed far enough underneath.... but even that seems far fetched. doesnt seem as if theres been a lot of caches trashed by our Favorite Unknown Cacher, just muggles. Stilll... you never know when this guy may resurface to terrorize us all.

william

alt.gif

An arundo donax is a reed, often confused with bamboo which is used in the making of musical instruments. In others words it lets hot air create a lot of noise. Who knew?

In my opinion since the spot was so close to the trail, it could well be that somebody else saw a geocacher in the area while he was looking for, or retrieving the cache, and then decided to find out what was this searching all about.

If this person read the info on the cache I would assume it would still be there with an extra log entry, but the fact that the cache was vandalized makes me think it was a group of teens playing around...

On the other hand it could also be the result of a raccoon or another animal, I noticed once in a while, that people left Dog treats and cookies inside caches, this could attract animals, and with their sense of smell, no GPS would be necessary.

I won't think that there's somebody out there that has the time to hike into the woods looking for caches, just with the ill intentions of destroying it once its found, if at all it would be stolen all together.

In my opinion since the spot was so close to the trail, it could well be that somebody else saw a geocacher in the area while he was looking for, or retrieving the cache, and then decided to find out what was this searching all about.

If this person read the info on the cache I would assume it would still be there with an extra log entry, but the fact that the cache was vandalized makes me think it was a group of teens playing around...

On the other hand it could also be the result of a raccoon or another animal, I noticed once in a while, that people left Dog treats and cookies inside caches, this could attract animals, and with their sense of smell, no GPS would be necessary.

I won't think that there's somebody out there that has the time to hike into the woods looking for caches, just with the ill intentions of destroying it once its found, if at all it would be stolen all together.

You know, it was my first cache that didn't make it - but back when I'd archived "Wet Foote", I'd found the cache container but it was lying open...waterlogged...and the only thing missing was the log book.

I thought it was odd (and this was back in March/April), but since I was archiving the cache anyay - didn't give it much thought.

In retrospect, I couldn't imagine why someone would just take a log book (with the ziplock bag and pen) and leave an open cache container behind.

Maybe it's an animal getting ready for school by collecting notebooks? icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to hear about the cache William...

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by ZeeWire:

it could well be that somebody else saw a geocacher in the area while he was looking for, or retrieving the cache, and then decided to find out what was this searching all about.

I thought about that, however, the rooting around would be out of line of sight being it was below the ground level. but I guess its always possible. still annoying

william

william

alt.gif

Although I remember that Gwho's caches seemed to be a target awhile back - I doubt that these recent attacks have any link. I found a cache the other day http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14945 that was victimized by a prankster, but I don't see a common thread (I've already discussed this with Skully, AD Skinner, & CSM) so I will dismiss it as pure coincidence ... I hope.

Our cache was not stolen completely, but someone swiped the entire contents of the cache aside from the logbook. They also threw the cache container in a ditch over 100' from where we planted it.

Your guess is as good as mine, but it gives some idiot pleasure to be disrespectful to anothers property. This will continue until someone hurts this person, whether it be ruining something they love or breaking something they have worked hard to achieve. I hope it happens real soon icon_wink.gif

Kar