hint missing from GPX file in Garmin GPSMAP62s

Chaircity

I have a new Garmin GPSMAP62s which supports paperless geocaching. I have sent the GPX file directly to the 62s and also downloaded the file and copied it directly to the unit. It shows all information on the cache page including D/T, container, description, etc. Everything but the hint. What am I doing wrong? Any insight appreciated.

I have a new Garmin GPSMAP62s which supports paperless geocaching. I have sent the GPX file directly to the 62s and also downloaded the file and copied it directly to the unit. It shows all information on the cache page including D/T, container, description, etc. Everything but the hint. What am I doing wrong? Any insight appreciated.

Do you have the unit navigating to the cache?

Some units wont show the hint unless it is navigating to the cache.

(Daft question: Does it have a hint on the cache page?)

Your unit (the GPSr) must be actively engaged in "Go" for that particular geocache in order for you to read the hint.

Garmin units do that --- oddly.

You cannot read the hint(s) willy-nilly.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Your unit (the GPSr) must be actively engaged in "Go" for that particular geocache in order for you to read the hint.

Garmin units do that --- oddly.

You cannot read the hint(s) willy-nilly.

I found that out by accident. Entered "go" and then I can press enter from the main menu and a list comes up with the hint. Doesn't make sense to set it up that way but it is what it is.

Edited by Chaircity

I found that out by accident. Entered "go" and then I can press enter from the main menu and a list comes up with the hint. Doesn't make sense to set it up that way but it is what it is.

I don't like the way that works, either (I have an Oregon 650, and it works the same way), but I can make a guess as to why they set it up like that. The developers must have thought that the hint is intended to be used when you've arrived at GZ, can't find the cache, and need some extra help.

Personally, I'm so awful at finding caches that I read every cache description, the hint, and recent logs before I even leave the house. :D

--Larry

I don't like the way that works, either (I have an Oregon 650, and it works the same way), but I can make a guess as to why they set it up like that. The developers must have thought that the hint is intended to be used when you've arrived at GZ, can't find the cache, and need some extra help.

Personally, I'm so awful at finding caches that I read every cache description, the hint, and recent logs before I even leave the house. :D

--Larry

I do better than that. If the cache is near a road,I'll look at it in google maps street view. Sometimes you can guess where it might be.

You do know you need to press a separate button to get the hints, right. If you press the button for the description, you get the description. If you want the hint it is a separate page.

I like it this way, as it allows you to access the hint only if you need it.