Suggestions for Android Apps?

I've been happy using Neongeo for a few years, but now I'm looking for a replacement app for Android. (The developer has abandoned Neongeo and bitrot is setting in.) I am not interested in using c:geo.

So are there any other Android apps that you can recommend? Obviously, the app should cover the basics: downloading cache data, navigating to the cache, uploading field notes, that sort of thing. I enjoy puzzle caches, so the ability to move the cache location to the coordinates specified in the edited coordinates (or in the personal cache note) is important. Offline map caching would be nice too.

Thanks in advance.

I've been happy using Neongeo for a few years, but now I'm looking for a replacement app for Android. (The developer has abandoned Neongeo and bitrot is setting in.) I am not interested in using c:geo.

So are there any other Android apps that you can recommend? Obviously, the app should cover the basics: downloading cache data, navigating to the cache, uploading field notes, that sort of thing. I enjoy puzzle caches, so the ability to move the cache location to the coordinates specified in the edited coordinates (or in the personal cache note) is important. Offline map caching would be nice too.

Thanks in advance.

Why are you not intterested in c:geo? What about the offical GS app?

Why are you not intterested in c:geo?
From section 2.D of the Terms of Use: "You agree not to: i. Use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access our services for any purpose without our express written permission."

I'd rather stick to apps that use the API.

What about the offical GS app?
It's certainly an option at this point. I was even one of the beta testers (back before I started using Neongeo). But I'd like to consider the other API-based apps too.

Thanks for the comments.

You might want to take a look at GDAK.

It can all that you want and also read GSAK databases.

I don't use GSAK, in part because it requires MS Windows and in part because I don't want yet another layer between geocaching.com and my device/app. I want to manage lists, coordinates, etc. on the geocaching.com site, and then use PQs to download the cache data directly to my device/app. (One of the features of Neongeo that originally appealed to me was its ability to import corrected coordinates from the personal cache note, before geocaching.com supported edited coordinates. That allowed me to stop using the third-party system that I had been using to manage puzzle solutions.)

I've been dabbling with Locus Map with geocaching extension after another forum user mentioned it. I don't know if it can correct coordinates while navigating, or view user notes, but it has great map support. There's a free version that you can download to test it out.
Locus is one that I've been considering. I'm a bit concerned that it's more of a hiking app that has been adapted for geocaching.

I'm also considering CacheSense, which a number of reviews have compared to Neongeo.

CacheSense is a nice app...though there are A LOT of menus and tabs to work through to find stuff. It's very comprehensive and even brings in bookmark lists from your profile (something neither the "official" app nor c:geo does). It also handles Field Notes, which I only just recently discovered...

CacheSense is a nice app...though there are A LOT of menus and tabs to work through to find stuff. It's very comprehensive and even brings in bookmark lists from your profile (something neither the "official" app nor c:geo does). It also handles Field Notes, which I only just recently discovered...
Yeah, it took me a while to discover how to post a field note instead of a live log. But so far I like it.

You might want to look at GCDroid. This has been something of an up and coming app for me. I thrashed through the app that shan't be mentioned, cachesense, and a:drake before landing on GCdroid.

It has dropbox integration so you can push gpx files to it easily. It supports more than 20k caches in a database. The live view mode is the best I have seen. It has a cool Phone a friend feature if your phone address book uses gc.com names as aliases.

Somewhat disappointing is that I seem to change apps every 6 months when one app that works for a while starts failing.

Yeah, it took me a while to discover how to post a field note instead of a live log. But so far I like it.

I also used to use Neongeo. It was a good app, but my caching needs outgrew it's capabilities, then it was abandoned.

I switched to CacheSense and am very happy with it.

I do use a GSAK macro to load it though, as I find that the GPX import is slow on my phone (first generation LG Optimus G), and I also don't load unsolved mystery caches.

You might want to look at GCDroid. This has been something of an up and coming app for me. I thrashed through the app that shan't be mentioned, cachesense, and a:drake before landing on GCdroid.

It has dropbox integration so you can push gpx files to it easily. It supports more than 20k caches in a database. The live view mode is the best I have seen. It has a cool Phone a friend feature if your phone address book uses gc.com names as aliases.

Somewhat disappointing is that I seem to change apps every 6 months when one app that works for a while starts failing.

I too would recommend GCDroid. It does everything that I could want a caching app to do.

Just to close the loop, I ended up going with CacheSense.

The last thing that was holding me back was the ability to maintain multiple databases/labels/whatever, and to view each separately. Neongeo does this by maintaining multiple databases, so I used to maintain a default DB for whatever nearest caches I downloaded, a "solved puzzles" database from a PQ, a "MROSD" database for caches in the MROSD series, and so on.

It took me a while to figure out that CacheSense does this by automatically applying labels (including a Geocaching Live API label for whatever nearest caches I download via the API), and then providing a fairly nice filtering system that allows me to choose one or more labels, plus other criteria to filter the caches with those labels).