Can I make my own coin?

NurseLorax

Absolutely! There are some rules and guidelines to follow though. These two threads are great places to start for the info:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116641

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=116800

In a nutshell, you buy the codes from Groundspeak (Last I checked they were $1.50 each, minimum purchase is 50 codes). Groundspeak must approve the design before they will sell you codes.

There are a lot more details, info, and nuances that can be added to coining, but that is trackable coin making at it's most basic level.

Good luck!

May be easier and cheaper to buy a TB dog tag for the number.

(Also avoids the design having to be OK'd by Groundspeak.)

Biggest problem is making sure cachers know its a trackable, and trackable at Groundspeak....

With so many 'Tokens' around, especially wooden ones, that's not always so easy.

They would make a very nice signature item or personalised swag though! :)

Biggest problem is making sure cachers know its a trackable, and trackable at Groundspeak....

With so many 'Tokens' around, especially wooden ones, that's not always so easy.

Big difference though is buying 50 codes at $1.50 each and jumping through a few hoops, or paying about $5.00 each for a TB to gain the number, then you have 2 'dog' tags' with that number as well.

Big difference though is buying 50 codes at $1.50 each and jumping through a few hoops, or paying about $5.00 each for a TB to gain the number, then you have 2 'dog' tags' with that number as well.

There is a big difference, and it's certainly more difficult, but if you want your own coin edition then just reusing Travel Bug numbers just isn't the same IMO.

All depends on what a person wants. If a person wants to make their own coins it takes time, money, effort and jumping through a few hoops. It's best to know at the outset.

To me having your own icon on the trackable list instead of the generic TB icon is worth the hoops.

Thanks everyone for replying! I would love to make my own but $1.50 a pop with a minimum of 50 is QUITE A LOT I should say lol IF it was a minimum of 10 I would totally do it, maybe the minimum should be changed, more ppl might do that. Anyways, thanks again I will give some thought into which route I want to take :) Happy caching!

A minimum of '10' is not likely to ever happen. I don't think there is any way Groundspeak would handle all the details surrounding coins for 15 bucks.

50 is quite a drop from the original quantities. If you look back in trackable code history, minimums were significantly higher .. somewhere near 250 (or more) as I recall.

Then GS has to enter you as the owner of '10' codes and keep track of them online ... for life.

Just don't see it ever happening ...