Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
MountainWoods

Which category for this?

212 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I located a church called Vertical Church after some research I found the website for "Vertical Church"  stating they are Southern Baptists. 

Okay, It is a Baptist Church. 

However I found an article Shooting the Breeze Re: New church hopes to take root in Pincher Creek "Vertical Church is an autonomous Protestant church affiliated with the Mennonites".

Does this make it a Mennonite Church? No category for Mennonite places of worship. 

The plot thickens: The Amish, Hutterites and Mennonites are direct descendants of the early Anabaptist movement so have we come full circle and it is a Baptist Church?

As a side note: Though this is call Vertical Church I do not believe it is part of the "Vertical Church (Southern Baptist)"  group described in the article above. 

Also in the above noted link "Shooting the Breeze" it states: "The name Vertical Church reflects their idea that “everything points to Jesus, so everything’s pointing up.” "

Also this was previously named: Foothills Community Church which was a  Mennonite Brethren Church.which began in 1947.

Okay which is it a Baptist Church or a Mennonite Church? Or none of the above.

I do admit I am not familiar with Mennonite, Southern Baptist, or Anabaptist theologies.

Your insights are appreciated. 

Edited by BK-Hunters
typo

Posted (edited)

For the Continental Reformed and Congregational Church waymark category, we use the following wikipedia site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations#Calvinism

That same site correctly places Brethren and Mennonite congregations under Anabaptism.  Because Waymarking does not have a category for Anabaptism denomination's church buildings, does that not place them as "other places of worship" under the religious building multifarious Waymarking category?

Southern Baptist is Baptist.

Edited by elyob

13 minutes ago, elyob said:

For the Continental Reformed and Congregational Church waymark category, we use the following wikipedia site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations#Calvinism

That same site correctly places Brethren and Mennonite congregations under Anabaptism.  Because Waymarking does not have a category for Anabaptism denomination's church buildings, does that not place them as "other places of worship" under the religious building multifarious Waymarking category?

elyob, thank you for your reply. 

However, I am still a little confused. Will the referenced "Vertical Church" be accepted in the CRaCC category? Based on the Anabaptist connection with the Mennonite Brethren Church and according to the comment in the article referenced  "Shooting the Breeze" "Vertical Church is an autonomous Protestant church affiliated with the Mennonites".

Posted (edited)

Sorry to confuse, the CRaCC has nothing to do with the Mennonites, Brethren or any Anabaptist church.  I simply mention the CRaCC because there is already a link being used by the Waymarking community to determine which church can be accepted in a building category.  More to follow...

Edited by elyob

Your Vertical Church building should twice qualify in the religious building multifarious category.  As an autonomous church, it can be considered non-denominational.  As an affiliate of the Mennonite tradition, it can be considered Anabaptist.  Both non-denominational and Anabaptist church buildings should be in religious building multifarious as there is no other Waymarking home for either.

Posted (edited)

I have updated the RBM (Religious Buildings Multifarious)

This category will now accept: Anabaptist. Including: Amish (actually they do not have churches), Hutterites, Mennonites, Schwarzenau Brethren, Bruderhof, and Apostolic Christian Churches. Excluded are Quaker Meeting Houses. I included a Wikipedia link as a guide to Anabaptism with information about the acceptable places of worship. We will also accept: Doukhobor places of worship (not part of the Anabaptist but an autonomous group), usually referred as: Prayer Houses.

Please note: Anabaptist are not Baptist Churches. 

Edited by BK-Hunters

Hello
I found a lake with 3 villages engulfed in this lake, there is only one church, is there a category where I can post these villages.
Thanks to all

4 hours ago, pmaupin said:

Hello
I found a lake with 3 villages engulfed in this lake, there is only one church, is there a category where I can post these villages.
Thanks to all

I'm not sure I get the word "engulfed". Are they underwater or are they on islands in the lake?

Keith

Hello Keith

they are underwater

Philippe

Phillipe - if the towns are underwater, I think maybe you are out of luck, unless the towns have Wikipedia entries. Maybe news article locations? Wierd story locations?

We have lakes that have engulfed towns in Texas, but many times they reappear and can be visited when lake levels change and the towns "rise again". Once exposed, many of these towns will be visitsble for years.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

10 hours ago, pmaupin said:

they are underwater

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

I wish there was a category for such things as there are several now submerged towns south of us that were inundated when the Grand Coulee Dam was built on the Columbia River in the 1930s. The lake that was formed, Lake Roosevelt, stretches from the dam to the Canada-US border and has submerged possibly a dozen towns. Some of the towns were partially or wholly moved to higher ground.

Another case is north of us; Arrow Lakes and the Hugh Keenleyside dam, again on the Columbia River. At low water one can see remnants of a couple of these towns.

Keith

Wikipedia says. "Construction of dams has produced ghost towns that have been left underwater."

So why not list them in the "Ghost town" category?

1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

Wikipedia says. "Construction of dams has produced ghost towns that have been left underwater."

So why not list them in the "Ghost town" category?

I'd love to see these inundated towns there - I've visited several in Texas and along the MX border 

https://www.texasobserver.org/bluffton-texas-lost-civilization-rises-from-lake-buchanan/

I'll reach out to the Ghost towns category managers to make sure they know about this thread. :) 

Here's the email I sent:

Hey Bean Team :) The Ghost town category is being discussed in the forums, in the thread "What category for this?" on page 3. Do y'all accept inundated towns? I have photos of at least 2 Texas towns that were inundated by dam construction that are/can be exposed and that I have visited, and which anyone can visit when they're out. We'd love to see a category officer weigh in on this topic over there -- Thanks :)

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

Thanks for the invite to the topic. 

They fit perfectly in the Ghost Towns category. It would fit under the "Human Caused Disaster" variable. 

5 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I'd love to see these inundated towns there - I've visited several in Texas and along the MX border 

https://www.texasobserver.org/bluffton-texas-lost-civilization-rises-from-lake-buchanan/

I'll reach out to the Ghost towns category managers to make sure they know about this thread. :) 

Here's the email I sent:

Hey Bean Team :) The Ghost town category is being discussed in the forums, in the thread "What category for this?" on page 3. Do y'all accept inundated towns? I have photos of at least 2 Texas towns that were inundated by dam construction that are/can be exposed and that I have visited, and which anyone can visit when they're out. We'd love to see a category officer weigh in on this topic over there -- Thanks :)

50 minutes ago, TheBeanTeam said:

Thanks for the invite to the topic. 

They fit perfectly in the Ghost Towns category. It would fit under the "Human Caused Disaster" variable. 

Hello
thank you very much for these searches, the forum is really nice.
Well now to me to publish this waymark
A big thank you Benchmark Blasterz for this request from the group of Ghost towns category.
A good day, friendly
Philippe

We have a beer cellar in our town.  Not a brewpub, like I usually find when I do a search for this term, but an underground cellar, with a door and stone structure built into the side of a hill.  This is a notable pace in our village, but were on earth do I place it?  I'm about to mark it in  "Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious".  It's a storage area that has been around for at least 100 years and is now used by the local garden society, still as storage.  Thanks for any help on this one.

1 hour ago, WadleClan said:

We have a beer cellar in our town.  Not a brewpub, like I usually find when I do a search for this term, but an underground cellar, with a door and stone structure built into the side of a hill.  This is a notable pace in our village, but were on earth do I place it?  I'm about to mark it in  "Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious".  It's a storage area that has been around for at least 100 years and is now used by the local garden society, still as storage.  Thanks for any help on this one.

Does it have a date inscribed on it? Is it stand alone? If so, it may be better in Dated buildings and cornerstones. 

Is this cellar all that is left of a brewery? If so it could go in preserved architectural remnants and ruins.

Can you please post a photo?  

2 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Does it have a date inscribed on it? Is it stand alone? If so, it may be better in Dated buildings and cornerstones. 

Is this cellar all that is left of a brewery? If so it could go in preserved architectural remnants and ruins.

Can you please post a photo?  

Unfortunately, I cannot post it.  Even though the file shows it is less than 2MB, when I try to add it, the site says it's too large.  I can place it under dated buildings then.  It is dated and stands alone.  It's a storage cellar and always was, not part of another building.  It's the old-fashioned way of store food, or in this case beer, for the whole town.  Thanks for the category. :-)

BIERKELLER

können Touristische Attraktionen sein. Wenn nur e i n Bierkeller im Umkreis von rund 20 km vorhanden ist und spektakulär genug ist, gibt es die Kategorie "Superlatives", falls in der Denkmalliste des Ortes kann natürlich der Bierkeller auch dort "beheimatet" werden... Noch Fragen ??

Euer *SportBaer*

14 hours ago, *Team Krombaer* said:

BIERKELLER

können Touristische Attraktionen sein. Wenn nur e i n Bierkeller im Umkreis von rund 20 km vorhanden ist und spektakulär genug ist, gibt es die Kategorie "Superlatives", falls in der Denkmalliste des Ortes kann natürlich der Bierkeller auch dort "beheimatet" werden... Noch Fragen ??

Euer *SportBaer*

Danke.  Ich denke "Dated Buildings" ist die beste.  Unsere Bierkeller ist special in dem Dorf und die "ONLY", aber nicht super special. :-)  Danke alles für die Hilfe.

Here's a doozy... we have an execution site near us.  We just found it on a long hike the other day.  There was a dedicated spot where they did beheadings and the original stone foundation still stands.  What on earth would that be categorized as?  I looked at Tragic sites, but the subcategories don't fit.

1 hour ago, WadleClan said:

Here's a doozy... we have an execution site near us.  We just found it on a long hike the other day.  There was a dedicated spot where they did beheadings and the original stone foundation still stands.  What on earth would that be categorized as?  I looked at Tragic sites, but the subcategories don't fit.

What a coincidence! The very same thing just happened to me.

I posted it to our local Heritage Sites category, because it is an A grade object. Now you seem to live in Baden-Württemberg and they treat their heritage list as a state secret (no joke, really!). So even if this location has a protection status and there is the Deutsche Denkmallisten category, it might be nearly impossible to find out if it is on the list. But sometimes one can find newspaper articles or signs that confirm this status.

My find was the last existing example of a special type of gallows in the whole country, so I cross-posted it to Last of its Kind. Maybe your find is also something last, try to find out.

A third option would be Official Local Tourist Attractions, if it is listed on a municipal (or other governmental) web site. Commercial sites do not qualify.

Last but not least, there is a dedicated category for them: Punishment and Disciplinary Devices.  I did not think about this one, before I read your question. I don't know if they accept the stone foundation without a remaining superstructure, but it is worth a try. I am just going to try mine. ^_^

Edited by fi67
typos

19 minutes ago, fi67 said:

I am just going to try mine. ^_^

Already approved. :D

3 hours ago, fi67 said:

Already approved. :D

Awesome!  Yep, I am in BW and it is nearly impossible to find out the local denkmal without going to the bowels of some of the Kreis offices.  I will try the same in a little bit then.  Thanks for all the helpful information.

This ceramic tile stove is magnificent but i found no category to publish it, any suggestions ?

stove-tile.jpg

Not a household appliance? Heaters are accepted there I think. Not just cooking ovens. 

The Relief designs are very cool - try it in Relief art? 

I see a royal Coat of Arms on it too -- 

2 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Not a household appliance? Heaters are accepted there I think. Not just cooking ovens. 

That was the logical category, but they do not accept Heating unit even if it is not in the exclusion list. And expand the description is not scheduled...

I did not see the coat of arm, unfortunately i could not make a close-up picture.

And relief art is for a sculpture, it's not a sculpture....

C'est celui de Chambord, j'ai exactement la même photo :o

1 hour ago, pmaupin said:

C'est celui de Chambord, j'ai exactement la même photo :o

C'est ça et c'est dommage de ne pas pouvoir le publier.... il est vraiment magnifique...

Good evening
This wyamark has been refused in two different categories: "Murals" and "Artistically Decorated Utility Boxes" what do you think and what should I do.
thank you

8d8a991c-e440-4396-9838-6d367163e1d8.jpg

If it was turned down by "Artistically Decorated Utility Boxes"  because of the lack of photographs, I think your subject is worth going back for more photographs.  That's a nice one.

This is the explanation for the refusal " We are only looking for UTILITY BOXES, not UTILITY BUILDINGS. If a structure has a human-size door intended for human entry into the structure, then it cannot be waymarked here."

We already had this discussion in the forum : Absurd ?

And two of my waymarks were finally approved in Murals category Waymark 1 and Waymark 2

Utility box leader changed the description to exclude these big utility boxes, but Mural officers should approve them.

If i remember well, both leaders had an exchange about these cases

I do not understand when the job is done why officers are so strict....

Edited by Alfouine

Officers are generally strict because they want quality Waymarks that meet the requirements.

To some of us, this is more than just a game, like Scrabble.  It's also a good way to document things that are worth documenting.  Once you start letting anything into a category -- just so that folks won't say that the officers are so strict -- you've just cheapened the activity/sport/hobby/game/recreation of Waymarking.

If that isn't easy to understand, you may be in the wrong hobby...

54 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

Officers are generally strict because they want quality Waymarks that meet the requirements.

To some of us, this is more than just a game, like Scrabble.  It's also a good way to document things that are worth documenting.  Once you start letting anything into a category -- just so that folks won't say that the officers are so strict -- you've just cheapened the activity/sport/hobby/game/recreation of Waymarking.

Yes but the officers can not throw the ball "it's not in the right category it's in the other"

1 hour ago, pmaupin said:

Yes but the officers can not throw the ball "it's not in the right category it's in the other"

An officer can approve or deny. Period. Any additional comment regarding another category that might fit is always a try to help, not more and not less. Calling this "throwing the ball" is not appropriate.

26 minutes ago, fi67 said:

An officer can approve or deny. Period. Any additional comment regarding another category that might fit is always a try to help, not more and not less. Calling this "throwing the ball" is not appropriate.

I just wanted to say that one officer of one category had sent me to another, and that in the other an officer had sent me back to the first one, hence the idea of a ball coming and going

11 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

I agree

I NEVER said that

I just have a different point of view ...

On 10.10.2017 at 0:08 AM, vulture1957 said:

artistic graffiti?

Yes, I will accept it.

21 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

I really got a kick out of the "cheapened the activity/sport/hobby/game/recreation of Waymarking" comment. It's a free site supported by geocachers. That is pretty cheap. :D

23 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

I really got a kick out of the "cheapened the activity/sport/hobby/game/recreation of Waymarking" comment. It's a free site supported by geocachers. That is pretty cheap. :D

We're talking quality, not price.  Many sites have free contributions, such as FindAGrave.  You can put in "cheap" (low quality) information into such sites, just as in Waymarking.  Unfortunately, I found several instances where someone came back from a day of walking cemeteries and put the information for a grave in the wrong cemetery.  That cheapens FindAGrave.

20 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

We're talking quality, not price.  Many sites have free contributions, such as FindAGrave.  You can put in "cheap" (low quality) information into such sites, just as in Waymarking.  Unfortunately, I found several instances where someone came back from a day of walking cemeteries and put the information for a grave in the wrong cemetery.  That cheapens FindAGrave.

Okay, now I understand. But can't the same be said about missing and relocated Waymarks here in the database? When I first started WM'n I thought it was a group of nit picky people and was told that my WM's were substandard because I'm a copy/paste waymarker. I just see Waymarking as a source to store and share interesting locations, and it does not have to be perfect. I'm not OCD about Waymarking, it's just a game.

22 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Okay, now I understand. But can't the same be said about missing and relocated Waymarks here in the database? When I first started WM'n I thought it was a group of nit picky people and was told that my WM's were substandard because I'm a copy/paste waymarker. I just see Waymarking as a source to store and share interesting locations, and it does not have to be perfect. I'm not OCD about Waymarking, it's just a game.

We agree on Waymarking as a source to store and share interesting locations.  For me, though, it is more of a documentation site than a mere game.  My thinking is that the serious traveler might want to use Waymarking to search for interesting things in a location they'll be visiting or passing through; just as I use an old Readers' Digest book to do the same thing.  That being the case, I lean a bit more on the let's-get-this-right side.

As to copy/paste, I have always discouraged that -- even where I worked (before retirement), simply because the source site for the information may be updated in the future, but the copy/paste obviously will not be.  Example: Someone updates a Wikipedia article to fix misinformation (another user contributed site!); but tough luck on anyone who copy/pasted from that article!

There's one category where I would like to just put in a link to the source site, even though I know it will require that the reader will have to click a link to a different site to get more information (wow, what labor!), but the category officers do not agree, and would rather have potentially stale information pasted into the Waymark.  I just have to agree to disagree with them; knowing that the resulting category of Waymarks will lose quality over the years because of their decision.

Keeping existing waymarks current is a consideration.  I have gone back to a bunch of my waymarks and fixed them when things changed.  I had to "UNABANDON" a cemetery because some local group noticed that it was totally uncared for (maybe because of my waymark??) and started regular maintenance.  (Good and bad on that!  Good for the cemetery, bad for the waymark.)

I also don't hesitate to make Edit Suggestions from my Waymark visits (yes, I do visit many waymarks not my own) when required by subsequent changes to the object of the waymark.  I always try to think of Waymarking as a document/list type of thing that can be used by the aforementioned serious traveler, meaning that it should only contain what is needed to whet the interest of the waymarker, including links to better sources (kept current) on the waymarked object, rather than copy/paste potentially stale information.  Anyway, that's my thinking.  Since it is considered a game, I'm sure that there'll be a widespread set of opinions on both copy/paste and quality/"pickiness".

Now back to What Category For This?

17 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

Now back to What Category For This?

Yes, and a needed tread. I've been using this site for almost 10 years and still find it difficult to navigate. But, Waymarking is not about grids or numbers to me and not so much of a game.

So back on topic, is there a category for those dog poop bag boxes that are commonly found in parks? I asked before and it went unanswered.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Manville Possum said:

So back on topic, is there a category for those dog poop bag boxes that are commonly found in parks? I asked before and it went unanswered.

Thanks in advance.

I can't think of where that would fit.

40 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

Neither can I, but I see them everywhere now and feel they deserve a category to waymark them. 

23 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

Oh boy, did I think of an answer to this.  But I'll leave it unposted....