Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
MountainWoods

Which category for this?

212 posts in this topic

Oddball Museums is the most likely. If they will accept "World of Navel Fluff" Why not a museum about a specific horse? Worth a try.

Where would I submit a Museum to a Horse? Goondiwindi has a museum to Gunsynd, a famous Australian racehorse. I had a look at Oddball Museums but doesn't seem to fit there. Perhaps History Museums as it is a history of the horse.

That's where I would waymark it :) Its not an animal memorial and I agree it's not oddball --

Try Freestanding Arches. Let us know what happens.

Yes it's approved, Thanks

Has anyone else noticed...

You find this outstanding sculpture of a specific individual, and no place to waymark it. Or am I just missing something here?

This Waymark has been declined by "Famous fictional figures"

Do you have an idea for an another category to submit it ?

Interesting. Try Epic Beings and Creatures

It was declined because (1) he's not famous and (2) he's not fictional!! Everybody knows aliens really DID crash-land in Roswell. (JOKING)

Everyone knows the whole Roswell crash is a hoax -- just like everyone in Texas knows that aliens REALLY crashed into a windmill in Aurora Texas in 1896 and were buried in the town cemetery under a tombstone that said, "here lie 4 of God's creatures". The said tombstone of course vanished and the whole thing passed into legend.) Aurora was a ghost town in Denton county, but had a few housing developments starting up last time we went by, so I guess it has been resurrected.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMWT6_Aurora_alien_burial_site

We have been the the UFO museum at Roswell NM and one of our group came out convinced. The rest of us -- call us . . . Doubtful.

Which is a long silly way of saying, I was also going to suggest epic beings and creatures :) Good luck!

Which is a long silly way of saying, I was also going to suggest epic beings and creatures :) Good luck!

Ok thank you, i am going to do it

lelievreetlescargot.jpg

Last time i found a category to submit this waymark, which represents a hare and a snail, but i can not find again this category, but may be there is not :sad:

Any idea ?

lelievreetlescargot.jpg

Last time i found a category to submit this waymark, which represents a hare and a snail, but i can not find again this category, but may be there is not :sad:

Any idea ?

Simulacra

http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=f5565982-08c2-4327-b9c2-19ec1ebcef0f

Would also qualify for a locationless cache another site that still allows them (there are a couple out there) - PM for details if you wish

Edited by Bon Echo

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised that there is no category for farm/fruit stands.

There is a category for farmers' markets, which have to be the produce from > 1 farm, and which have become pretty common.

But the old farm/fruit stands that I remember well from my childhood in the 1960s, and which are now exceedingly rare, have no presence in Waymarking. That is a pity.

I remember driving a short distance from our home in northern Illinois to the then small town of Crestwood, which was mostly a bunch of farm fields with a few businesses along Cicero Avenue, (look at it now in Google Earth!!), and there were a couple of different farms that had stands staffed for a good part of the day by a member of the respective families of those farms. They were delighted when you stopped to purchase corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, or whatever else they sold.

When we drove down to my grandparents near Kankakee, there were a few stands along the way vying for customers to drop by. Some of them with just an honor system drop box for money, and just pick out your own dozen ears, or whatever.

Even less than 20 years ago when we lived near Paw Paw, IL we'd drive east on Chicago Road and stop at a stand for some fresh produce. That stand may still be there.

But they have become very few and far between. The few hold outs deserve to be remembered in Waymarking -- in my opinion, even more so than Farmers Markets.

Edited by MountainWoods

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised that there is no category for farm/fruit stands.

There is a category for farmers' markets, which have to be the produce from > 1 farm, and which have become pretty common.

But the old farm/fruit stands that I remember well from my childhood in the 1960s, and which are now exceedingly rare, have no presence in Waymarking. That is a pity.

I remember driving a short distance from our home in northern Illinois to the then small town of Crestwood, which was mostly a bunch of farm fields with a few businesses along Cicero Avenue, (look at it now in Google Earth!!), and there were a couple of different farms that had stands staffed for a good part of the day by a member of the respective families of those farms. They were delighted when you stopped to purchase corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, or whatever else they sold.

When we drove down to my grandparents near Kankakee, there were a few stands along the way vying for customers to drop by. Some of them with just an honor system drop box for money, and just pick out your own dozen ears, or whatever.

Even less than 20 years ago when we lived near Paw Paw, IL we'd drive east on Chicago Road and stop at a stand for some fresh produce. That stand may still be there.

But they have become very few and far between. The few hold outs deserve to be remembered in Waymarking -- in my opinion, even more so than Farmers Markets.

I have very fond memories of the Rancho Arnaz farm store on the road to Ojai from Los Angeles, and the little farm store outside of Solvang that had Texas 1015 onions! I bought a 40# bag - my then-boyfriend now-husband thought I was NUTS, until he tried one.

We went back the next weekend for more...

And there was a strawberry farm store on a then-rural stretch of the CA 60 (Pomona Freeway) in Orange or San Bernardino County (I was on the way to Pasadena) that I stopped into when stuck in a traffic jam. Yum!

In Texas, there are hundreds of small farm stores in Fredericksburg (peaches), Noonday (onions,) Gilmer (local sweet potatoes, Pecos (cantaloupes), Luling (watermelons), Dawson City (peanuts), and all around East Texas (blueberries, tomatoes, and fresh black-eyed peas) and the Rio Grande Valley (citrus, tomatoes, peppers, you name it - they grow it in the Valley).

A possible WM issue issue is, they are seasonal. So for most of the year you could be Waymarking empty sheds, since they only open when what they grow is ripe and in season.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

MountainWoods, is it your intention to start a proposal for "Fruit Stands'?

Perhaps if you started a new proposal thread, to open a discussion, as it could get overlooked here.

Interesting idea.

A possible WM issue issue is, they are seasonal. So for most of the year you could be Waymarking empty sheds, since they only open when what they grow is ripe and in season.

Exactly, but is that an issue? :unsure: One locally is just a wide spot along a highway, produce is sold from the back of a pick up truck. :anibad: All local flea markets have seasonal produce vendors. We have a few Farmers Markets as well, and one large farm that has it's own market on site.

I do like those roadside farm stands, but I see a prevalence problem. You say they are becoming less rapidly in your area and that's a pity, but in my area it's different. They were totally extinct in the mid-20th century. I did only know of them from tales of the elder generation. And then they came back and now there are more than ever. In fact, I have not seen a farm without one for quite some time.

In this region, for much of the year, back-of-truck produce stands and somewhat permanent produce stands in parking lots can be found by the dozens wherever the rural area meets the suburbs.

MountainWoods, is it your intention to start a proposal for "Fruit Stands'?

Perhaps if you started a new proposal thread, to open a discussion, as it could get overlooked here.

Interesting idea.

Wellll, I'm not very good with the politics that goes into making a new category, never having successfully started one. It's interesting to see that these single farm stands are actually growing in some areas. Obviously they would have to be "seasonal permanent" -- that is, the same location every year, as opposed to a pick-up truck that sells product hither and yon; but with the understanding that many (probably most) will only be open seasonally, depending on the produce, of course.

I'm behind anyone who wants to propose such a thing in the proper forum. My original post was more along the lines of "thinking out loud" about something that seemed a pity to me in terms of a hole in Waymarking. In fact, I don't even know of a farm stand around where I live in the Ozarks that I could Waymark. But I kept the photos for one in Florida on a recent trip. Just in case the hole ever got plugged. :D

MountianWoods, give it a try. Most waymarkers are willing help.

You have an idea, and you have already defined it here.

I do like those roadside farm stands, but I see a prevalence problem. You say they are becoming less rapidly in your area and that's a pity, but in my area it's different. They were totally extinct in the mid-20th century. I did only know of them from tales of the elder generation. And then they came back and now there are more than ever. In fact, I have not seen a farm without one for quite some time.

So are we talking 20 stands in a 1 kilometer stretch of road? Or 5? Or 1 per km? Are they as common as fire hydrants are in towns? Just curious as to how badly there would be too many of these.

So are we talking 20 stands in a 1 kilometer stretch of road? Or 5? Or 1 per km? Are they as common as fire hydrants are in towns? Just curious as to how badly there would be too many of these.

20 stands per acre at flea markets, and that is where I buy my fresh produce in season. :) Yes, they are quite common in my area. B)

It depends. We have two different kinds of historical agricultural landscapes. The areas where the farms were on the farm land far from their neighbors, and the areas were the farmer's homes were concentrated in farming villages. Today, these two types are not as strictly separated as in centuries gone by, but you will still recognize the difference.

The stand alone farm areas will have their stand at the nearest roadside or signs from the road to the stands at the farm buildings. So there, it will maybe not have more than one or two per kilometer, sometimes not even.

But in traditional farming villages you can find a stand in front of every third house, much more than fire hydrants.

Posted (edited)

20 stands per acre at flea markets, and that is where I buy my fresh produce in season. :) Yes, they are quite common in my area. B)

Okay. What I was thinking of is stands at the farm itself, though I neglected to say so. IF I were in the mood to start a category, that would be one of the requirements. Not booths at some large gathering, but individual farm stands at the end of the driveway, or whatever. Those are the things I remember, and really miss, from the 1960s and before.

Edited by MountainWoods

Not booths at some large gathering, but individual farm stands at the end of the driveway, or whatever.

Roadside peddlers, most of them buy produce from local farms for resale. :) Seems the larger farms are contracted by grocery chains locally.

Actually, Manville Possum, you hit on the reason that the single-farm stands at the end of the driveway have just about disappeared in the US (and yes, I travel all over the US and rarely ever see them any more) -- it's because of farm consolidations. The small single family farm is rare. There are large single family farms (e.g. How Farms Work near Potosi, WI) and large consolidations (some run by a single family or extended family, and some run by corporations). But the 40 to 160 acre family farm that had a family member available to sit along the road and hawk their wares are rare now. In this part of the Ozarks, look for an Amish farm. But not many of them have a separate stand.

Consolidations began taking off in the 1930s and 1940s, when tractors and farm equipment became affordable enough for a farming family to purchase, replacing their horse, ox, or mule teams. Soon, the equipment gave the farmer the ability to do so much acreage, that (if they're anything like a lot of us), they just didn't feel like sitting around all day after an hour or two in their small fields planting or cultivating or harvesting. Might as well buy up some more land. And so on.

It's an interesting study that I got into because of studying the history of tractors.

Anyway, back to the topic of "Where Do I Post This Waymark?"

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone

I had the opportunity during my stay in the islands to visit several Rum factory, I do not know in which category I could make waymark.

Thank you for your help

Edited by pmaupin

Hello everyone

I had the opportunity during my stay in the islands to visit several Rum factory, I do not know in which category I could make waymark.

Thank you for your help

Distilleries are accepted in the Breweries category.

thanks a lot for your help

Actually, Manville Possum, you hit on the reason that the single-farm stands at the end of the driveway have just about disappeared in the US (and yes, I travel all over the US and rarely ever see them any more) -- it's because of farm consolidations. The small single family farm is rare. There are large single family farms (e.g. How Farms Work near Potosi, WI) and large consolidations (some run by a single family or extended family, and some run by corporations). But the 40 to 160 acre family farm that had a family member available to sit along the road and hawk their wares are rare now. In this part of the Ozarks, look for an Amish farm. But not many of them have a separate stand.

Consolidations began taking off in the 1930s and 1940s, when tractors and farm equipment became affordable enough for a farming family to purchase, replacing their horse, ox, or mule teams. Soon, the equipment gave the farmer the ability to do so much acreage, that (if they're anything like a lot of us), they just didn't feel like sitting around all day after an hour or two in their small fields planting or cultivating or harvesting. Might as well buy up some more land. And so on.

It's an interesting study that I got into because of studying the history of tractors.

Anyway, back to the topic of "Where Do I Post This Waymark?"

About the only thing I ever will see when I'm on the road would be is the occasional "on your honor" stand where you pick up a few tomatoes or eggs and drop the money in a box. I could see ole MountainWoods sitting by a roadside stand hawking his wares, though! :)

1 hour ago, pmaupin said:

Hello everyone
I just discovered in my city a revolutionary boat "energy Observer"

http://www.energy-observer.org/en/

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Observer

it squalls in Boulogn-sur-mer before starting a journey in all the sea Of the globe.
I do not know in which category to place it as it will move around the planet.
Thank you for your help
Philippe

I doubt this find will fit into any existing category.

There are a few 'sighting' categories, but I don't think this is a good idea. Waymarking is based on coordinates, moving things just do not belong here.

THE FIRST HYDROGEN VESSEL AROUND THE WORLD 

If there is a plaque or sign stating it is the "first" you could post it in First of its Kind, if not, perhaps Superlatives 

Lately I found this sculpture, that is made of firefighting-related items like fire extinguisher, fire hose etc. It is standing next to an apartment building and there was no sign or other Information about it's age, the creator etc., but I found it very interesting and worth a waymark. My first guess was "Figurative Public Sculpture", but maybe some experienced waymarker has a better idea.

I think that "Figurative Public Sculpture" is the correct category to post a submission. 

We have also found many sculptures made from recycled materials and they are always fun and interesting. The artists are most creative. They have all been approved. 

Two of our favorites: 

Linotype Wapiti

Chevy

I have seen Dream Catchers in paintings, and they are a form of Native American art. Recently I saw one that was quite different, and was displayed in a store front that sells Native American art. Is there a category that will accept these works of art on public display?

Dream Catcher.jpg

MP, we have seen several of these displayed (some in cemeteries),  generally on First Nations land in Canada and few in the US.  

We have encounter difficulty with being on First Nations land, we are always ask what we are doing on their land, then informed that we are not allowed and in some cases were asked to leave and escorted off their land. The First Nations People in Canada are for the most part of a very different mind set then the American Indians we met and engaged in pleasant conversation in Wyoming and Montana. 

Wonder how global these are. 

Global? Not sure. I see them as tattoos and hanging from rear view mirrors on pick ups. See them painted on glass and murals. They are just a form of art, and I was just wanting to know where they would fit in Waymarking is why I posted in this thread. This one is so odd it caught my attention.

6 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

just wanting to know where they would fit in Waymarking

I was told once, that every piece of art has a category and we do not need any more. Well we do know that is not exactly true. Not every piece of art has a category. 

If I recall there is an old proposal (2013) that just resurfaced for "Cemetery Art". 

On 3/19/2017 at 3:57 PM, MountainWoods said:

Wellll, I'm not very good with the politics that goes into making a new category, never having successfully started one. It's interesting to see that these single farm stands are actually growing in some areas. Obviously they would have to be "seasonal permanent" -- that is, the same location every year, as opposed to a pick-up truck that sells product hither and yon; but with the understanding that many (probably most) will only be open seasonally, depending on the produce, of course.

I'm behind anyone who wants to propose such a thing in the proper forum. My original post was more along the lines of "thinking out loud" about something that seemed a pity to me in terms of a hole in Waymarking. In fact, I don't even know of a farm stand around where I live in the Ozarks that I could Waymark. But I kept the photos for one in Florida on a recent trip. Just in case the hole ever got plugged. :D

Are you still interested in continuing with this idea: Fruit Stands? 

Is there a group started? 

I still like the idea. Need help?

Barb of BK-Hunters

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Manville Possum said:

I have seen Dream Catchers in paintings, and they are a form of Native American art. Recently I saw one that was quite different, and was displayed in a store front that sells Native American art. Is there a category that will accept these works of art on public display?

Dream Catcher.jpg

Okay, thought I've seen more designs than many. 

I'd be curious what a "dream catcher" with a thong, beer can and chew tin attached would be classified as too.

It is Manville Possum, need I say more. :D

Always interesting to see what MP is going to do next. 

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

Are you still interested in continuing with this idea: Fruit Stands? 

Is there a group started? 

I still like the idea. Need help?

Barb of BK-Hunters

As I mentioned, I was just "thinking out loud", which I often do.  As to whether I will continue with thinking out loud on that idea, I kind of doubt it.  It's the nature of my "out loud thinking" that it is comprised of things that pop into my head from time to time, but generally don't stay around for very long.

So anyone is welcome to do whatever they wish with the crazy idea that I had.  Main points I was thinking of were that it should not be any kind of collective farms, such as in a farm market, but just a road-side stand set up for a single farm.  Not sure that is always easy for the reviewer to distinguish.  And that it not be a place where folks just park their pickup truck every year to sell produce, but should be a fixed-location shelter.  Probably should be located at the farm in question to avoid confusion or "maybes" or "what ifs".  I think.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking of.  I only know of one such beast at this point, and that is Robert Is Here near Everglades National Park in Florida.  I haven't seen any other single farm stands in ages.  (Interesting story behind Robert Is Here, including the funny name.)

14 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

It is Manville Possum, need I say more. :D

Always interesting to see what MP is going to do next. 

Is there an existing category for Native American art? I'm sure this dream catcher is a display just to lure in tourists, but they sell local made items, many with COA's. There is likely a way to WM these stores Qualla Arts and Crafts that sell authentic Native American art. What category would these stores fit in?

2 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Is there an existing category for Native American art? I'm sure this dream catcher is a display just to lure in tourists, but they sell local made items, many with COA's. There is likely a way to WM these stores Qualla Arts and Crafts that sell authentic Native American art. What category would these stores fit in?

Art Galleries

Description:
A category to waymark art galleries -- places that sell art.

Keith

7 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

Art Galleries

Description:
A category to waymark art galleries -- places that sell art.

Keith

Okay, thanks. It was so broad that I missed it or confused what an art gallery was. I would find a category for Native American art interesting, but not Art Galleries. 

On 10/12/2016 at 7:17 PM, BK-Hunters said:

f84cde80-85af-4e0d-aae6-ea811b58a885.jpg

We just found another one that is for miners who lost their lives "Mining Coal". 

41 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

We just found another one that is for miners who lost their lives "Mining Coal". 

Is there a category for them? I've seen more than a few related to coal mining.

Citizen Memorials? (I'm not that familiar with that category, but I've visited Waymarks that were similar to what your showing in that category.)