Which category for this?

I'm (mostly) just posting to vent. I wish there was a category for "Inexact Replicas" or something similar. I wanted to waymark two things under "Exact Replicas" but it turns out that both of them are far from exact. One is a Frederic Remington sculpture. Remington made exactly 22 sculptures in his lifetime. This... looks a lot like one of his, except that it has been "edited". The "Trooper of the Plains" has had his sword and rifle removed, perhaps at the request of the Canadian purchaser. It would be odd to have an American soldier on display in a Canadian public place. So removing the sword and rifle make it less obviously American. Everything else is identical to Remington's original, and it is even signed "Frederic Remington" on the base. (There are *lots* of knock-off Remingtons out there, I have learned.) Apparently, Remington never made anything taller than 22" high during his lifetime. This is a faithful replica:

Trooper of the Plains - Perkins, OK - Figurative Public Sculpture on Waymarking.com

Oh well, I can submit it under Figurative Public Sculpture and now I have a few more fun facts in my magpie-nest brain.

image.jpeg

The other one is a replica of a 19th century fur trading post: palisade, warehouse, trading counter, accommodations, and all. It, too, turns out to be an inexact replica. It was built based on an archeological excavation of the original site, and written records and paintings. It turns out that the archeological dig mis-identified the fort (one of four built in that general area) , and that was only discovered years after the "replica" was built. Not only that, but the replica has four palisade walls, while original drawings show five walls. So, any idea what category that might go into? For what it's worth, the "replica" was built in 1966. As far as I can tell, there are no Waymarking categories that I can use for this one. I welcome any suggestions, though!

440px-Rocky_Mountain_Fort_1848_by_Paul_Kane.jpg

Edited to add: Apparently the museum considers the fur post to be an "analogue" rather than a replica. 

Edited by Country_Wife
  • Funny 1
17 hours ago, Country_Wife said:

I wanted to waymark two things under "Exact Replicas" but it turns out that both of them are far from exact.

As an officer in 'Exact Replicas' given a good story as to why it ISN'T an exact replica tempts me to accept it...

If it was built as a replica to what they thought at the time... I'm tempted to accept it.

From Instructions for posting "The proper definition of replica is a copy made by the person who made the original although it is now commonly used to refer to any copy.

In this case any "copy" will suffice as long as it is an exact copy of the original."

Note: As to the definition of exact, we will leave it up to your judgement to submit something that looks like the original. If you look at the item and you know what it is without thinking twice, then that should help qualify it as an “exact” replica. Replicas should be of a high quality since we are looking at permanent locations.

Or, have you been in contact with the category leader, who has said "No"?

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm15TTW_Braintree_Railway_Station_Braintree_Essex_UK

"Exact" I dont think so! :lol:

Edited by Bear and Ragged
eta
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
On 10/18/2023 at 9:07 PM, Country_Wife said:

Thanks for the feedback— that’s reassuring! I’ll do up the waymark and submit it soon. 

The other one is a replica of a 19th century fur trading post: palisade, warehouse, trading counter, accommodations, and all. It, too, turns out to be an inexact replica.

Accepted. :)

By one of the other officers, before I'd even seen it!

(Very nice write-up. Wish a few others would/could put in the effort.)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Torgut said:

Ghosts signs work well for my WM, thanks!!
Or not. Mine is mosaic, not painted on the wall. 

I am not very familiar with this category. The way I read the description, a mosaic has indeed a not very high probability to succeed. But I am not an officer, you'll know if you try.

Is it mosaic enough for Mosaics?

Hey Waymarkers! I’m lucky enough to live in Lincoln, NE which hosts the largest single stop Licorice Shop in the nation(possibly the world). It’s called Licorice International. Just to confirm, the best category for this would be candy shops under the business category, correct?

Thanks and happy Waymarking!

3 minutes ago, 173Carver said:

Hey Waymarkers! I’m lucky enough to live in Lincoln, NE which hosts the largest single stop Licorice Shop in the nation(possibly the world). It’s called Licorice International. Just to confirm, the best category for this would be candy shops under the business category, correct?

I think so!

• Helpful 1
On 2/7/2024 at 7:29 PM, 173Carver said:

Sorry for the late answer, but: If you have some documentation of the superlative (largest single stop Licorice Shop),  Superlatives - A Waymarking.com Category might be another category that fits. 

Edited by PISA-caching

Here's a new one for the thread, at The Falls in Wichita Falls, TX. It is a plaque from the Mayor of Niagara Falls (NY) sent in honor of the (much smaller and artificial) Wichita Falls. It's not really a Sign of History. What do you think? Is there a category for this one?

20240315_102603.jpg

Bit of a stretch, but Gifts from Other Countries?

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=f0e3401a-3fe8-4096-b9f5-e0872785c80a&lat=52.19285&lon=-1.7098&t=6&gid=3&exp=True

The deciding part is:

We're looking for significant gifts for this category, not every small item (e.g., small recognition plaque, knick knack, etc.) given from one country/international city representative to another. If you have any doubt about whether an item would meet the significance requirement, please send a message to the group leader or one of the officers before posting.

added quote
12 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Bit of a stretch, but Gifts from Other Countries?

Pretty sure they want the gift to cross an international line. Now while NY may as well be a foreign land to me, and Texas prides itself on being a whole 'nother country, I don't think they would take it.

"We are not interesting in all "coat of arms" - for example state/country coat of arms you can find on countless governmental and official building - so this kind of symbol is excluded from this category."

On 3/25/2024 at 7:04 PM, Alfouine said:

Of course we accept national coat of arms

In that case the rules of this category really need some improvement to avoid doubts:

"We are not interesting in all "coat of arms" - for example state/country coat of arms you can find on countless governmental and official building - so this kind of symbol is excluded from this category."

7 hours ago, Torgut said:

In that case the rules of this category really need some improvement to avoid doubts:

I  am not able to take the leadership of this category so i can not edit the description, but i will validate this waymark if you publish it

After reading the sentence multiple times I think what the original writer intend to say is that those coats of arms found in public buildings, mass produced and placed as a flag of the State, are not accepted, not because they are national coat of arms but because there are too many of them and they are banal. 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:30 PM, Alfouine said:

I  am not able to take the leadership of this category so i can not edit the description, but i will validate this waymark if you publish it

Yet another example of a category, though manned by able officers, that is beginning to show many signs of mold. Though Thierry wants to accept (and does) submissions specifically proscribed, he can't amend the category to make it more relevant.

Moreover, the Coats of Arms home page is quite busted, requiring a substantial overhaul, with no licensed mechanics, though available, approved to handle the task. Whacha think, Wayfroggie?

The Scrooge

Edited by ScroogieII

The area we live in was settled in the 1700s.  There are still many original "Log Cabin" structures still standing and on historical exploration trails. For example, this is the Lehigh County Log Cabin Trail: 

https://www.discoverlehighvalley.com/things-to-do/tours/log-cabin-trail/

I would like to waymark some of these, but would like to place them in an appropriate category.  Some categories that come to mind are:

Pre-Victorian Historic Homes

Many are still occupied, so they would not fit in the unoccupied buildings category:

Unoccupied Buildings, Shacks, and Cabins

I hope you can impart some wisdom and advice so that I can contribute in a positive fashion.

Lightnin Bug