Which category for this?

On 4/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, PISA-caching said:

When we visited the Delphi excavations in Greece last year, we saw an interesting memorial stone commemorating the fact that at the turn of the century France was entrusted with the excavations. I'm not sure which category (if any) would best fit here.

5.thumb.jpg.6d7b891e0ef57382e712fc42c1ea74a2.jpg

A good selection of dates, and good descriptions?

Timelines category?

Hints to place these objects please.  Third one is a wall with bullet holes, shot by a British platoon over a crowd of demonstrators in India. It was a carnage and the leading officer was punished for it. I was thinking about Scenes of Crimes (or whatever the name is)...?

tempo-01.jpg

tempo-02.jpg

tempo-03.jpg

tempo-04.jpg

9 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Is the train static, or does it move? Go uphill/downhill?  Try Funicular Railways...

(Not sure if it states how steep it has to be, to be a Funicular :huh:)

A funicular is defined by its drive technology and nothing else. (It does simply not work if it is not steep enough, but that's just physics and has nothing to do with a category description). 

1 hour ago, Torgut said:

The car is more like an old horse tramway. It's now a cafe. And I don't think the monument can be approved as Googie.

Static Train Cars should work. It looks like they also accept tramway cars.

And Dining Car Restaurants might be worth a try as well. The category description does not support this, but there are already several approved examples like yours.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:11 PM, Torgut said:

"This is not for displays in car museums." 

So no, can't go to cars in permanent display

This quotation leads to my question (not to Torgut, but to the officers of the "Permanent Car Displays" category): What if there is museum, that is NOT a car museum with dozens and hundreds of cars, but a - let's say - technical or historical museum with just ONE special car on display?

And one question to Torgut: What's the story behind this Morris Minor(?) car?

9 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Is the car part of of a car museum then? By the one picture you offered I can't tell ...

Otherwise I would just try and post it to Permanent Car Displays ...

That is for rail cars, railways or tramways. 

The car is indeed in a museum. It's not a car's museum, it's about the formation of Pakistan. Thus the impossibility of submitting to that category. 

Still looking for a category to place that amazing monument in Lahore named Minar e-Pakistan. More suggestions?

On 5/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, Torgut said:

tempo-02.jpg

14 hours ago, Torgut said:

The car is indeed in a museum. It's not a car's museum, it's about the formation of Pakistan. Thus the impossibility of submitting to that category.

20 hours ago, Alfouine said:

If it's not a car museum, we could accept it

If I understood Alfouine right, the car will be accepted in Permanent Car Displays, because it is in a museum that is not a car museum.

I'm a little bit confused on your insistence that the car would not be accepted there ...

14 hours ago, Torgut said:

Still looking for a category to place that amazing monument in Lahore named Minar e-Pakistan. More suggestions?

If nothing else you can try the Wikipedia category (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minar-e-Pakistan).

Since it is a national symbol, it  is also an official turism attraction (see https://visitlahore.com/attractions/minar-e-pakistan/).

Satellite image oddities may also accept this (see https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/minar-e-pakistan/), but here I'm not sure.

Unfortunatly it is not part of the inscribed property of the Unesco World Heritage "Fort and Shalamar Gardens in Lahore", which is next to it (at least it was not mentioned in the document on the inscribed property).

Hi everyone,  

I recently saw the house pictured here, which has a large tree growing through two stories of porches.  I thought it was very neat and took some photos.  I'm wondering if it would fit in any Waymarking categories.  My first thought was Omnivorous Trees, but in this case it seems that the house was built around the tree intentionally, and the tree isn't really "eating" the house.  I also thought of "Treehouses," but that category says that the house must be elevated.  Does anyone else have any ideas about which category this might be good for?  

Thanks!

20230521_152226 - Copy.jpg

The description of Exceptional Trees is rather vague, so it might be accepted there. "It can also be the second biggest, the third biggest, or any tree of truly exceptional size." does probably not apply to your tree. If it is currently not accepted there, it would at least fit there, if the owner would decide to include trees that are not only exceptional in size or age, but also in "other ways" (which might be difficult to define - maybe "exceptional form" like c2f864eb6ecff909eb4d487374b00afa.jpg (520×670) (pinimg.com) or "exceptional planting spaces" like on your photo).

• Helpful 2

When I visited a monastery in Romania, I saw this interesting thing:

3.thumb.jpg.ac4bda2cbcd32f4ead2649685dfe0c99.jpg

It's a thick metal plate, hung on a pole (about 1 m high) and some people might call it a "Bell", because it is made of metal and it's used to call the nuns to a mess like bells in catholic churches/monasteries. But, from Wikipedia I learned that this is a metal-made Semantron (never heard that before). Now, the question is: Will it be accepted in the Bells category? 

On 7/31/2023 at 6:54 PM, Country_Wife said:

This reproduction building at a national historic site was a special project. Any ideas? 

IMG_0641.jpeg

Edited to add: My husband thinks there is a category for EVERYTHING. Perhaps this proves him wrong!

Any info on the original? https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=f59a7a20-2c6d-4b2b-8144-55c380702733&gid=6 Exact Replicas category

It’s not an exact replica, sadly. More of a notional replica; it apparently stands in for a house. 

Kitchen shelter - Narcisse Fallardeau and his Kwantlen wife Hélène served the residents of the Big House from their house and kitchen at this location.” — from https://parks.canada.ca/lhn-nhs/bc/langley/visit/visit6

However, it is now posted as a Dated Architectural Structure Multifarious waymark: https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm18GM0_Kitchen_Shelter_Cuisine_2008_Langley_BC_Canada

Edited to add: The “Big House” was where the officers (management) of the Hudson’s Bay Company lived. Narcisse would likely have been a “servant” (employee) of the HBC. I’m better with the earlier history of the HBC, but I think Helène would have been unpaid labour, but receiving rations and housing from her husband’s employer. 

Edited by Country_Wife
19 hours ago, Country_Wife said:

It’s not an exact replica, sadly. More of a notional replica; it apparently stands in for a house.

Dont be fooled by the name!

Provide the correct photos and a decent write-up, it stands a good chance of being accepted.

(Check out some of the accepted Waymarks in the category.)

"Note: As to the definition of exact, we will leave it up to your judgement to submit something that looks like the original. If you look at the item and you know what it is without thinking twice, then that should help qualify it as an “exact” replica. Replicas should be of a high quality since we are looking at permanent locations."

eta (I am an officer for the category)

Edited by Bear and Ragged
added info
  • Surprised 1

During our vacation in Moldova I noticed a building with the Olympic Rings above the entrance. A little later I learned that it is the building of the National Olympic Committee. Now I wonder: Is there a category for these headquarters? I thought about Olympic Memorabilia, but although they list several Do's and Don't's I have no idea, if they would accept it.

3.thumb.jpg.00e25315ae71f1238350e94ec0e24792.jpg

5 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I thought about Olympic Memorabilia

Yes.

I've had a few post boxes (mail box for posting letters) accepted. In the UK the Royal Mail painted a Post Box Gold to celebrate 'local' Olympic medal winners.

Think its covered by the (my) bolded part of their description:

While Olympic Games are hosted by a specific city, the individual venues, activities, and overall influence of the games can cover entire regions surrounding the host city. These games leave a legacy, not only in the venues used during the games, but in the many art pieces, monuments, markers, structures, collections, amenities and other memorabilia that remain long after the crowds have returned home.

I am not sure. The category is about Olympic games and athletes that have participated. A national Olympic committee is the organization behind it and per se not part of the game (unless maybe, some specific games are domestic). So you cannot be sure to have your submission accepted, the description is silent about this aspect. But give it a try, then we know. Or ask the group to officially include those sites.

My WM was declined. The officer said that there is no evidence, that there is some kind of memorabilia there. The owner was sent a question about my WM, but didn't answer. Although I'm pretty sure, that there will be some kind of memorabilia in the building (the Olympic Committee is still there and I'm pretty sure that they are very proud about their rare medal wins and athletes), but I have no proof and I totally understand the decision.

I might try for this paragraph of the requirements:

"6. Olympic Non-Competition Venue Structures, (athlete villages, arches, bridges, decorative venue signage, plazas, countdown clocks, museums, etc.) - For athlete villages, unless separated geographically, multiple buildings in the same general area are considered one waymark."

The building is/was, by definition, an "Olympic Non-Competition Venue Structure". (BTW, buildings are structures.) Athlete villages, arches, bridges, plazas, museums, etc, should be included, yet not a National Olympic Committee building? Makes no sense whatever to me.

Though I've never been privy to the meetings or workings within the Olympic Committee of any country, including that of Canada's, I'm pretty sure that, within each country which participates in the Olympics, their national Olympic Committee is a pretty important part of that country's participation in The Olympics. Witness This Website. Though the country of Moldova appears not on the aforementioned website, that's not to say that Moldova's Olympic Committee was any less important to them than was the Olympic Committee of any other country intent on participating in The Olympics. Though It can't be stated with certainty, it seems to me that each country's Olympic Committee would appear to be that country's most important and influential body with regard to decision making vis a vis Olympics participation. Hence, the Olympic Committee headquarters of a small country such as Moldova, a country likely possessed of comparatively few training or practice facilities, should, in this context, be accorded greater than common stature with regard to its "Olympic Memorabilia" category acceptability, if solely for its outsized importance to the country's Olympics aspirations.

Google Maps indicates THIS to be the building indicated on their Olympics page, given the address provided. THIS is their home page, so it would appear that they're certainly not extinct.

Please give it another shot, Andreas - I believe it deserves acceptance. (not that I have any say in the matter, though, but it's DEFINITELY worth a shot.)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
13 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

The building is/was, by definition, an "Olympic Non-Competition Venue Structure". (BTW, buildings are structures.) Athlete villages, arches, bridges, plazas, museums, etc, should be included, yet not a National Olympic Committee building? Makes no sense whatever to me.

The decision does not surprise me.

The building is not an "Olympic Non-Competition Venue Structure" in the spirit of the category. It may be (depending on the exact definition) an "Olympic Non-Competition Structure", but it is not an "Olympic Venue Structure" for sure. And for sure as well there are some Olympic memorabilia inside this house that would qualify as waymarks. But these are independent items and not the building.

On 9/1/2023 at 9:38 AM, fi67 said:

The decision does not surprise me.

The building is not an "Olympic Non-Competition Venue Structure" in the spirit of the category. It may be (depending on the exact definition) an "Olympic Non-Competition Structure", but it is not an "Olympic Venue Structure" for sure. And for sure as well there are some Olympic memorabilia inside this house that would qualify as waymarks. But these are independent items and not the building.

Fi Guy, I realize you're not an English language, first language, speaker, so I'll try to be as gentle as possible.

As I understand the language, "Olympic Non-Competition Venue Structures" and "Olympic Non-Competition Structures" would appear to be identical in theory, at least with regard to their purpose and this discussion, and that is to house or host all Olympic activities NOT directly related to competition. Neither is directly related to, nor houses, nor hosts, competitive events, hence are Olympic Non-Competition Structures, regardless of definition.

The only difference I can discern between "Olympic Non-Competition Venue Structures" and "Olympic Non-Competition Structures" is that the former would be located on the site of an Olympic venue, while the latter may or may not, yet would still be related to the Olympic Games in question.

To attempt to clarify further, would an Olympic "Non-Competition" venue exist? To me, it seems not.

That said, I remain firm in my contention that a building which has housed the Olympic Committee of any country, whether it continues to house the committee or not, is worthy of inclusion in said category.

Andreas, I would, have you not already, resubmit the Waymark, possibly adding gleanings from the above discussion, should you deem them valuable :wacko:. Good Luck. :D

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

Thanks Keith, you are absolutely right. This does not really make sense.

I just tried something to express my feeling that (and how) these two things are completely different. It did not work, of course. I cannot even blame the language. It does not work in any other language as well. It was just wrong.

But the feeling is still the same. For me, they do have nothing in common. Not nothing of course, but in relation to the category. I just have no idea how to define that. Anyway, it is not my category. If they accept it then I'm happy for Andreas, but if not, then I understand that. And I am also happy that it is not my job to find and understandable and acceptable definition.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:38 AM, ScroogieII said:

Witness This Website. Though the country of Moldova appears not on the aforementioned website,......

Tiny correction: Look for "Republic of Moldova" :huh:, but I agree to everything else you wrote. Right now, I'm pretty busy at work because all my other colleagues are on holiday, but I will (hopefully) give it another try soon.

I can understand all of the above arguments (pro & contra), and I'm very confident, that there is some memorabilia about the few Olympic medal winners and other athletes of Moldova in the house of their National Olympic Committee. It's just that I didn't enter the building and take photos of them and therefore have no proof for my theory.

7 minutes ago, Walking Boots said:

..And in fact all these trolls created by recycling activist Thomas Dambo are also made of recycled materials..The trolls can be seen in several countries....

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm13394_Hans_Hule_Hnd_Odense_Denmark

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm13WBR_Strke_Storm_Silkeborg_Danmark