Which category for this?

I'm trying to figure out where (or if) this might belong -- Would the Franco-American Heritage Center (home of the American-French Genealogical Society) fit in the "Historical Society Headquarters" category? Many French-Canadians, especially from Quebec, emigrated to Woonsocket, Rhode Island, (where this is located) for about a century starting in the 1840's.  From the organization's "About" webpage:

"The mission of the American-French Genealogical Society is to:

•     Collect, preserve and publish cultural, genealogical, historical and biographical matter relating to Americans of French and French Canadian descent;
  •     Play an active part in the preservation of French and French Canadian culture and heritage; and highlight the role that they have played in the history of North America;
  •     Maintain an educational, research and cultural center;
  •     Conduct periodic educational programs and conferences to explore cultural, genealogical, and historical topics;
  •     Disseminate cultural, genealogical, historical, and biographical information to members and the general public."

Thanks

---j/401Photos 

20220421_Dated-Building_former-First-Universalist-Church_Woonsocket-Rhode-Island-_JF421.wkm.jpg

20220421_Dated-Building_former-First-Universalist-Church_Woonsocket-Rhode-Island-_JF422.wkm.jpg

On 5/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, 401Photos said:

cultural, genealogical, historical and biographical matter

A rose by any other name...

Given that the society deals in the above quoted material, I should think it would be acceptable after reading the category's requirements.

Keith

On 5/16/2022 at 1:51 PM, 401Photos said:

I'm trying to figure out where (or if) this might belong -- Would the Franco-American Heritage Center (home of the American-French Genealogical Society) fit in the "Historical Society Headquarters" category? Many French-Canadians, especially from Quebec, emigrated to Woonsocket, Rhode Island, (where this is located) for about a century starting in the 1840's.  From the organization's "About" webpage:

"The mission of the American-French Genealogical Society is to:

•     Collect, preserve and publish cultural, genealogical, historical and biographical matter relating to Americans of French and French Canadian descent;
  •     Play an active part in the preservation of French and French Canadian culture and heritage; and highlight the role that they have played in the history of North America;
  •     Maintain an educational, research and cultural center;
  •     Conduct periodic educational programs and conferences to explore cultural, genealogical, and historical topics;
  •     Disseminate cultural, genealogical, historical, and biographical information to members and the general public."

Thanks

---j/401Photos 

20220421_Dated-Building_former-First-Universalist-Church_Woonsocket-Rhode-Island-_JF421.wkm.jpg

20220421_Dated-Building_former-First-Universalist-Church_Woonsocket-Rhode-Island-_JF422.wkm.jpg

It may be my keen eye, but on the bottom right of the building it seems like that's a corner stone. If you have a photo of that, you could submit it to that category. As far as other categories I'm unsure. Maybe this could mean there is a need to create a new category for: "non-profit organization headquarters and centers". I've seen a few like this which currently have no category to put them into. An example would be the DAR headquarters in DC which I have visited, and documented, but have no category to place it in. If there is a need, I'm willing to help develop that category.

16 hours ago, bluesnote said:

it seems like that's a corner stone

Keen eye, indeed. You're right!

Submitted and approved the other day:  1924 - Franco-American Heritage Center

Also: Veterans Memorial Museum and Photos Then and Now

It's that Historical Society Headquarters category...or any potential others related to that type of organization...that I'm curious about. 

The website also says they have "...over 20,000 books and nearly 7,000 reels of microfilm..." and "...is an affiliate library of the Family History Center in Salt Lake City, Utah", so I'm hopeful it'd be good enough for our Libraries category, too.  :)

Thanks, guys.

On 5/21/2022 at 9:13 AM, 401Photos said:

The website also says they have "...over 20,000 books and nearly 7,000 reels of microfilm..." and "...is an affiliate library of the Family History Center in Salt Lake City, Utah", so I'm hopeful it'd be good enough for our Libraries category, too.  :)

I don't see said library in the Libraries category, so my questions would be:

Have you submitted it to the Libraries category?

Has it been declined?

Having submitted my first Libraries Waymark many years ago I've not paid any attention to the requirements for an equal number of years, thinking I knew what I needed to know about the category, foolishly it may now seem.

If you have not yet submitted the library in question, this might serve as a good test case. Having just read the requirements (for the first time in years) I can see no real reason for its being unacceptable. It's worth a try.

Should it succeed in being accepted, others might take note of the fact, thereby broadening their horizons vis a vis what they may choose to submit. 

Keith

This time I have several questions:

1. Lately, we visited the city of Linz in Upper Austria, and noticed an interesting thing:

0.jpg.a65da16bac288db48083da8591646133.jpg

There are 286 years from 1693 to 1979, so I was quite sure that it's not some kind of anniversary. Back at home I found out, that a bell for a local church has been made in 1693 and put up for display here for a while, before it was moved to the church. To remember that event, a metal ring with the circumference of the bell and the year 1693 have been placed here.

And when the pavement was renewed in 1979 they added that year. Interestingly, there's even a Wikipedia page about it: Glockenring am Hauptplatz (Linz) – Wikipedia. However, I try to avoid creating WMs in the Wikipedia category, so I wonder what an appropriate category would be.

"Signs of History" came to my mind, but there is no sign at all. "Bells" won't accept it, because the bell is no longer there.

2. A little later I saw something similar:

0a.jpg.46484822b461e09770f4fe69187a5c07.jpg

This ring is for the "Pummerin", the most famous bell of the St. Stephans Cathedral in Vienna, that was donated to the Cathedral in Vienna by the province of Upper Austria in 1952 (because the former Pummerin had been destroyed in WW II) and it started it's journey to Vienna from this place. The ring also has a Wikipedia page: Glockenring der Pummerin (Linz) – Wikipedia. This time, they added at least a small metal sign in the middle of the ring with a little more information. But is that story about a bell being produced in Upper Austria and then moved to Vienna enough "history" to make it acceptable for "Signs of history"?

3. Somewhat similar: From time to time I pass a square in my hometown Vienna, called Freyung. On it, there's a small part of the original paving of 1200: See Datei:Freyung Alte Pflastersteine Wien 1010.JPG – City ABC. More than once I have thought about what category might fit here. "Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins" came to my mind, but the paving of a street is not "architectural", right? Any other ideas?

From the description of the "Ancient Traces and Roads" category:

"The goal of this category is to locate an existing road that was originally a wilderness route." and "Also, this should be a major route and not just something a few miles long."

I doubt that this square in the center of Vienna was once a "wilderness route" and it's just a few meters long. :-)

And yes, the Glockenring in Linz is a mosaic, but IMHO not an artwork, but more of a memorial. Would "Commercial Commemorations" fit? It's not an anniversary, but the category description says: "... to celebrate or commemorate a business or corporation's anniversary celebration or some other entity, event, group, people or organization's milestone or celebration." IMHO that means: "... anniversary ... OR event...". Or do I misread/-understand that?

Edited by PISA-caching

"Desaster Memorials" seems to fit best - even if there are three different desasters. I would talk to bluesnote on this topic - he is officer in the category and helped me with a memorial half a year ago.

"Graves of the Unknown" might be a bit tricky as it is a mass grave and the description states that they want unknown individuals.

"Graves Mentioning a Cause of Death" came also to my mind, but might also be a bit tricky, because they want to have the names of the ones buried (see WM14TJK as an example). Perhaps Keith as an officer of that category might offer an insight on that.

1 hour ago, FamilieFrohne said:

"Desaster Memorials" seems to fit best - even if there are three different desasters. I would talk to bluesnote on this topic - he is officer in the category and helped me with a memorial half a year ago.

"Graves of the Unknown" might be a bit tricky as it is a mass grave and the description states that they want unknown individuals.

"Graves Mentioning a Cause of Death" came also to my mind, but might also be a bit tricky, because they want to have the names of the ones buried (see WM14TJK as an example). Perhaps Keith as an officer of that category might offer an insight on that.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't interpret the marker as indicating it's a mass grave, just that they are laid to rest somewhere in the cemetery "on these grounds", but you could be right!

On 7/2/2022 at 7:39 AM, Max and 99 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't interpret the marker as indicating it's a mass grave, just that they are laid to rest somewhere in the cemetery "on these grounds", but you could be right!

I see that marker as a monument to all the various graves of the unknown souls lost to those three disasters who were buried in the cemetery. Clearly they are not in a mass grave, since the three disasters happened several years apart from the other. It looks like a three-in-one for a Disaster Memorial category.

• Upvote 1

I just found this news article, which indicates each of the three disasters does have a mass grave!

"The grant is funding the production and installation of fifteen storyboard signs throughout the cemetery. One will tell the story of each of the three Pueblo tragedies and their corresponding mass grave sites at Roselawn. "

Historical society story: Roselawn Cemetery Pueblo CO Memorial for 3 Disasters

Pueblo Cemetery honors unmarked mass grave

Reviewed and approved.

Thanks everyone for your help.

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM16D82_Pueblo_Tragedy_Memorial_Roselawn_Cemetery_Pueblo_Colorado

Edited by Max and 99
  • Love 1

1.jpg.779d2a416f5ed2ce866ea4f427cfa86c.jpg

This is a memorial for Franz Graf Kinsky, who served in several wars, but later was the director of the Military Academy in Wr. Neustadt. The inscription says:

Franz Count Kinsky
Imperial and Royal Privy Councillor and Chamberlain
General ordnance master
Owner of a regiment on foot
Chief Director
of the
Military Academy at Wiener Neustadt
from the year MDCCLXXXI to MDCCCV

from grateful pupils

As this is from "grateful pupils" and doesn't mention any war he has been to, it's (IMHO) not a veteran's memorial, but it's not a citizen memorial either. What would you suggest?

5 minutes ago, Becktracker said:

It's a count so it can be posted under monarchs of the world

Only a tiny little fraction of the Counts of the world have ever been reigning monarchs and certainly not an 18th century Austrian.

I'd go for Citizen Memorials and turn a blind eye on the many nitpick arguments* against it. It fits the spirit of the category.

*strictly speaking, a subject of an emperor is not a citizen; a nobleman is not a citizen either. Military academies are not a civilian organizations. And  their graduates are not civilians/citizens (at least not always).

The category description of Citizen Memorials says:

Not allowed waymarks

Please do not submit any of the following that would fall into other existing categories. These include but not limited to:

• Military Personnel. This includes military personal both living and deceased. However, if the memorial is acknowleding non-military accomplishments it will be allowed here.

Both serving in wars and being director of a military academy are not "non-military accomplishments". That's why I instantly ruled that out.

4 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

As a military man who served in several wars, the memorial probably could go into Specific Veteran Memorials.

That was my first guess too, and I just reread their category description and it says:

There are also many which commemorate single acts of courage or deeds they did during peacetime. This category is established to list these kinds of memorials which are not war specific.

Being the director of a Military Academy is a "deed they did during peacetime", no? Somehow I overread that "peacetime" sentence earlier.

Looking through a few pictures, taken about a year ago, I came across a grand opening plaque. I planned to post it in the "Grand Opening" category.

Looking at nearest waymarks, I realized I had not posted it in an "Arena" category. Only to realize there is not a category for non-professional sports venues.

Is there a category that will accept these?

a OLV Arena (2).JPG

Edited by T0SHEA

In Zwolle I saw this beatiful piece of industrial heritage. I thought to post it in the converted factories category, but it turnes out it wasn't a factory. The Dutch word: Factorij meaned Company or office building. I found out this building was in use as a parcel point, where people could pick up and deliver parcels, that where to be transported by the railways. A building from 1912 without any monumental status

20220705_123731.jpg

Tricky - and I also have no idea, where it could be placed:

- It won't fit into "Train Stations/Depots" since it is nor was near the tracks (the station is nearly 600m away from Luttekestraat 15). Also the other railroad categories don't fit.

- It isn't/wasn't a store (at least none as given in the Waymarking categories)

- It is also not a "post office" in the classical sense.

- It is no museum.

- It does not have a year fixed to the building, so you can't place it in "Dated buildings"

8 hours ago, Alfouine said:

In Ghost Sign or converted factory, if it was a factory

As far as I understood the description of the category "Ghost signs" the lettering should be fading for a ghost sign - which would not be the case here since the lettering is done with bathroom tiles. But I'm not sure and since you are an officer of that group you would have more expertise here.

For the factory: Becktracker already mentionend that the building was never a factory, so it wouldn't fit there.

Which memorial-related category would this fit in?

— The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community has built the 5-acre memorial near Scottsdale as a tribute to those who were aboard the USS Arizona when it was attacked and sank at Pearl Harbor in December 1941.

The USS Arizona Memorial Gardens honors each of the ship’s 1,512 crew members, including the 1,177 who died in the explosion caused by one torpedo and eight bombs hitting the battleship.

5 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Which memorial-related category would this fit in?

— The Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community has built the 5-acre memorial near Scottsdale as a tribute to those who were aboard the USS Arizona when it was attacked and sank at Pearl Harbor in December 1941.

The USS Arizona Memorial Gardens honors each of the ship’s 1,512 crew members, including the 1,177 who died in the explosion caused by one torpedo and eight bombs hitting the battleship.

Do you have some photos you could provide? I too think WWII would probably be the best fit...maybe disaster memorials as well. Vietnam MIA/POW is a different war so I don't think this one could be submitted there.

14 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Gifts from other countries?

I'm not sure, if this stone is a gift of France to Greece, or vice versa. 

1 hour ago, FamilieFrohne said:

"Signs of History" probably - since it states the time frame of the excavation (October 1892 - Mai 1903 (or 1908 - the number is not really readable)).

I will try this category. I was first thinking about "Histoires de France (French historical markers)", because I think it would fit there, but the WMs in that category have to "Be located in France and in the departments and territories overseas".

12 hours ago, Torgut said:

This made me thing what is this doing in Satellite Image Oddities:

https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm17XKH_James_Brindley_Etruria_Stoke_on_Trent_Staffordshire_UK

There are dozens of Waymarks just like that in Satellite Image Oddities.

It's the result of a poorly written or conceived category and very permissive reviewing on the part of the officers.

Confession: I've even submitted a similar one to the category when I needed the category for a Lucky 7.

Keith

• Helpful 1