Which category for this?

4 hours ago, Torgut said:

I have a monument in Argentina to be waymarked but can't find a proper category for it. It's a homage to the victims of the dictatorship regime... any ideas? 

Political Revolutions might be made to fit, though there's certainly no guarantee of that. Beyond Civil Rights Memorials, it's the only thing I see which comes close to a fit.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

I see no fitting in Civil Rights. I know the category and its categorization of civil rights. Race, gender, religious, etc... but nothing which can relate with these things like victims of the State. And there was no Revolution in Argentina, neither were these fellows casualties of a revolution, so I don't see it happening there either. Eventually this should be a category on its own... there are references in multiple countries to victims of the State. Most of Latin America countries, Portugal, Spain, Greece, many Arabic speaking countries and African countries.... 

6 hours ago, Torgut said:

I see no fitting in Civil Rights. I know the category and its categorization of civil rights. Race, gender, religious, etc... but nothing which can relate with these things like victims of the State. And there was no Revolution in Argentina, neither were these fellows casualties of a revolution, so I don't see it happening there either. Eventually this should be a category on its own... there are references in multiple countries to victims of the State. Most of Latin America countries, Portugal, Spain, Greece, many Arabic speaking countries and African countries.... 

Of course it fits in Civil rights, when you fight against a dictature, it's often to have more rights, you could at least try....

7 hours ago, Alfouine said:

Of course it fits in Civil rights, when you fight against a dictature, it's often to have more rights, you could at least try....

From the category's rules:

1. The post must relate to one of the following Civil Rights:
    • Disability
    • Gender equality (women's suffrage)
    • National Origin
    • Race (the U.S. Civil Rights movement fits here)
    • Religion
    • Sexual Orientation

So, it doesn't fit, right?

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure in which category I should put this in.

There is a Jewish cemetery in my neighbourhood. It was used from 1904 to 1941. There are no funerals here since ca. 1945.

It is not abandoned, because there is a person taking care of the whole old complex. So it's not fitting in "abandoned cemeteries"

You can see some part of the cemetery, because of the low situated wall. But it's also not open to public. You can't enter there just like that, you would have to talk to the keeper. So i don't really think it fits into "cemeteries worldwide".

There are some graves with no names, but many of them are visible, so it's not exactly "graves of the unknown".

I can't fit it in any category so it would meet the standards of it, but this is an important place on the map of my small city. What do you think?

15 hours ago, Alfouine said:
17 hours ago, fi67 said:

You think, you have to fight against a dictature to become a victim?

I do not understand

Fighting for a Civil Right is an activity, that may be honored with a memorial.

Of course, those activists will be fought and suppressed in a dictatorship. But also their friends and families and countless other people that just happen to be in at the wrong place at the wrong time. Or for owning that plot on the lake, that the nephew of the general would like to have e.g. Or belonging to the wrong minority (even without fighting for a change).

A memorial for victims of a dictatorship has absolutely no connection to any civil rights movement, unless the memorial explitly states that they are victims because of one of the reasons that category is dedicated to.

• Helpful 1

"The Grutten Hut (German: Gruttenhütte) is an Alpine club hut at a height of 1620 metres in the Kaisergebirge in Tyrol in Austria. It is owned by the Turner Alps Kränzchen Section of the German Alpine Club." Wikipedia Grutten Hut - Wikipedia

Lodge-Style Accommodations - A Waymarking.com Category

Chalet, Cottage, and Cabin Style Lodging - A Waymarking.com Category

Remote Backcountry Shelters - A Waymarking.com Category

Not 100% sure where to put a normal alpine hut. Thanks for your help.

ghwk1.jpg

3 hours ago, lumbricus said:

"The Grutten Hut (German: Gruttenhütte) is an Alpine club hut at a height of 1620 metres in the Kaisergebirge in Tyrol in Austria. It is owned by the Turner Alps Kränzchen Section of the German Alpine Club." Wikipedia Grutten Hut - Wikipedia

Lodge-Style Accommodations - A Waymarking.com Category

Chalet, Cottage, and Cabin Style Lodging - A Waymarking.com Category

Remote Backcountry Shelters - A Waymarking.com Category

Not 100% sure where to put a normal alpine hut. Thanks for your help.

ghwk1.jpg

There is a category for places mentioned in Wikipedia

On 12/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, lumbricus said:

Remote Backcountry Shelters is the best fit. It already has some entries of this type, although the majority is totally different. It has a large bandwith.

I am not an officer in any of those categories, but if I was, I would deny a submission in the Chalet... category and unhappily but still accept in the Lodge-Style category.

Hostels would also kinda fit.

I recently run into this kind of memorial:

obraz.thumb.png.6334d7c6ff1088449501c995e2b3c596.png

which was placed on the 100th anniversary of regaining independence by Poland.

Is there currently any category where this would fit? I'm surprised that there is a category like "spirit of '76" dedicated only for the USA (specific and not global), but there is nothing about independence overall.

Edited by sernikk

1-.jpg.b1725a8e16700225aa3a4d63b012d5d3.jpg

The text on this commemorative plaque (attached to a street lantern) in Ohrid, North Macedonia is:

On this spot the Austrian Army erected the first electric street lantern in 1916.

'100 years electric light in Ohrid!'

Sponsored by: EVN Macedonia / The City of Ohrid / Austrian Embassy / Lions Club Lychnidos

Now I wonder what the best categories are for this plaque. Several come to mind: 'Lions Clubs International Markers', 'First of its Kind', 'Signs of History' (probably not), 'Commercial Commemorations' or is there one that I missed, but fits much better?

Edited by PISA-caching
11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

1-.jpg.b1725a8e16700225aa3a4d63b012d5d3.jpg

The text on this commemorative plaque (attached to a street lantern) in Ohrid, North Macedonia is:

On this spot the Austrian Army erected the first electric street lantern in 1916.

'100 years electric light in Ohrid!'

Sponsored by: EVN Macedonia / The City of Ohrid / Austrian Embassy / Lions Club Lychnidos

Now I wonder what the best categories are for this plaque. Several come to mind: 'Lions Clubs International Markers', 'First of its Kind', 'Signs of History' (probably not), 'Commercial Commemorations' or is there one that I missed, but fits much better?

The only ones that I can remember are the ones that you mentioned :unsure: 

• Helpful 1

I guess that there is no good category for this one, but I wanted to share: If you go to the headline "Architecture and gardening" on the page https://aplacetoenjoy.com/our-adventures/ohrid-north-macedonia/ you will find the house of Krapche. This house was the model for the street lamps in the old part of Ohrid (North Macedonia) and I find that amazing. Our guide told us that, at the time the house was built, houseowners had to pay taxes according to the size of their house. So, they made a small basement to avoid taxes and made bigger floors above it to have more space within the house. Interesting, no?

Frieze Art is a go, for sure. Relief, possibly, possibly not. I think that, were I an officer in Relief Art Sculptures, I would deny it for its three dimensional form and because it would be accepted in Frieze Art, at least giving it one place to rest. I believe this to be the first contemporary Frieze Art I've seen.

The second one definitely needs a home. Figurative, because of the face mask, Relief, for the style.

Beyond that, all I can say is that it definitely needs a home!

EDIT: reading the Relief Art requirements tells me this is a shoe-in there:

"The relief MUST be a stand-alone piece of art ... ...  Relief Art can be defined as the carving or sculpting of an otherwise flat surface to create a design or feature. Included within the realms of Relief Art Sculpture are; bas relief, high relief and sunken. This category aims to catalog relief art sculpture of all forms."

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

It's just not a frieze and i would approve them in Relief art category, but if it's already approved in Frieze art category, it's not possible to approve them anymore in Relief art category.

(Note: Reliefs that form part of an object that falls into another category are no longer accepted).

Edited by Alfouine
12 minutes ago, ScroogieII said:

Guess what - You didn't have a  Plank Roads submission, did you. Just send me a few hundred  thousand dollars and we'll be even... ... .... ... ...

I'll tell you what. Just give the money to Sharon. She can send half of it up to me and the other half to Pedro - he's definitely deserving of the first half.

Keith

20 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It's to the right of your name. 

Looked and looked - it was all white space. Then Iooked wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy farther afield, as in on the whole other side of the page.

Admittedly, that's to the "right" of my name, but not really how I would usually describe "the right edge of the panel".

In any event, Thank You! Found it.

Given the money to Sharon Yet?

Think I'll go back and make use of that.

Why the HELL did they have to go and make that change?!?!?!?!?! Progress? Innovation?

Edited by ScroogieII

29 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I was trying to give you a hint, not provide the exact location.

Heck, I'm too old to pick up on subtle, or even "hit me on the  head"  hints. What I need anymore is actual directions to the scene of the crime, complete with maps, pictures, circles and arrows (and GPS coordinates). :)

Thanks again!

(Sharon hasn't yet written, apprising me of the receipt of the money.)

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

I am requesting the help of other waymarkers:

In a town in Brabant I came across a little house and found a sign that it is a communal freezer safe. This was built in 1960 before everyone had a freezer at home. You could become a member and then rent a freezer box. The boxes are inside a machine which rotates to allow access to the boxes. The sign states that it is one of the last active freezer safes in the Netherlands. Unfortunately, in the next village over there is also a working freezer safe so I can't use 'last of its kind'. I've tried household appilances to no avail. Can I post it in any of the Waymarking categories?

diepvrieskluis.jpg