Which category for this?

In Edinburgh there's a Coffee shop called "The Elephant House". Next to its entrance is a small metal plaque saying that J.K. Rowling (author of the Harry Potter books) and some more writers have spent a lot of time there writing their books.

elephant-house-plaque.jpg

I took photos of the plaque and the shop, but now I'm not sure in which category I shall post the waymark. I thought about UK Historical Markers, but I'm not sure if this is the kind of history they are looking for and they ask for the 'Historical Marker Issuing Authority' and I guess the plaque was simply attached by the coffe shop owner himself. Soooo:

Dead Poets' Society Memorials? Citizen Memorials? Celebrity Hangouts (although I saw none of the mentioned writers there)? Or just Independent Coffee Shops?

Or all of the above? :-)

• Upvote 1
On 10/8/2018 at 6:09 AM, PISA-caching said:

In Edinburgh there's a Coffee shop called "The Elephant House". Next to its entrance is a small metal plaque saying that J.K. Rowling (author of the Harry Potter books) and some more writers have spent a lot of time there writing their books.

Dead Poets' Society Memorials? Citizen Memorials? Celebrity Hangouts (although I saw none of the mentioned writers there)? Or just Independent Coffee Shops?

Or all of the above? :-)

Coffee shops, yes, complete with a good story. What constitutes a celebrity is in the eye of the beholder. I should think that Rowling would be included in that category, as her books are known worldwide. Methinks that if one sells 500 million books, they're a celebrity! So Celebrity Hangouts should work. I noticed that submissions in which the submitter never actually saw a celebrity at the site were accepted. I think we've had one accepted under the same circumstance.

Keith

• Helpful 1

Meanwhile one waymark was approved in the Citizen Memorials category.

I also would consider J.K. Rowling to be a celebrity, and I will give it a try, but then I think that one of the officers might say, that J.K. Rowling was working (writing her novels) there and not hanging out. On the other hand, if I browse through that category I see several waymarks where celebrities were not hanging out at the waymarked location. We'll see.

Update: The waymark was also accepted in the Celebrity Hangouts category. WoooHooo!

Edited by PISA-caching

Do you think this would fly in the Unusual Signs category?

The "sign" is posted on a toilet seat in the washroom of a dive shop. It's a single-person washroom, so there are no "accessibility or privacy" issues other than if the store is closed, or maybe having to wait for the washroom to be available. Actually, it was less awkward taking this photo than it is for many other WM photos (in busy public places)

One issue maybe is that I don't have the "general area" photo but really I can't get much more in the view standing in a 5'x5' tiny washroom

f4857152small.jpg

Quick question - hubby and I visited a couple of wineries yesterday - waymarks coming soon in the Wineries category.  Both have tasting rooms on the site, and one of the tasting rooms is unique (in my experience!) as it is a very large wine barrel (capacity of 49,000 gallons) that has been converted to a tasting room - so I'm thinking it could be waymarked as a winery/tasting room, but also as a re-purposed structure, or unique building, or something.  I looked through the Buildings subcategories, and all I saw that seemed to apply is Odd Shaped buildings. Structures - it doesn't fit the overall definition  ("A structure is a thing constructed; a complex construction or entity. Not a building.")

So, ideas on where else I could possibly add this as a waymark?  Unfortunately, at our visit yesterday I didn't get any interior photos, as the tasting room was closed, and it was drive by order pickups in the parking lot.  I got one exterior photo of the tasting room and one of the winery production site, hopefully enough for it to be approved.  We didn't get to taste any so I may have to wait till we CAN taste before submitting.  We have tasted many of the wines on previous visits though, would that count?

I guess this turned into more than a quick question and probably wandered off topic too.  I hope that doens't get me into trouble with TPTB around here!

7 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Quick question - hubby and I visited a couple of wineries yesterday - waymarks coming soon in the Wineries category.  Both have tasting rooms on the site, and one of the tasting rooms is unique (in my experience!) as it is a very large wine barrel (capacity of 49,000 gallons) that has been converted to a tasting room - so I'm thinking it could be waymarked as a winery/tasting room, but also as a re-purposed structure, or unique building, or something.  I looked through the Buildings subcategories, and all I saw that seemed to apply is Odd Shaped buildings. Structures - it doesn't fit the overall definition  ("A structure is a thing constructed; a complex construction or entity. Not a building.")

So, ideas on where else I could possibly add this as a waymark?  Unfortunately, at our visit yesterday I didn't get any interior photos, as the tasting room was closed, and it was drive by order pickups in the parking lot.  I got one exterior photo of the tasting room and one of the winery production site, hopefully enough for it to be approved.  We didn't get to taste any so I may have to wait till we CAN taste before submitting.  We have tasted many of the wines on previous visits though, would that count?

I guess this turned into more than a quick question and probably wandered off topic too.  I hope that doens't get me into trouble with TPTB around here!

ahh, we're pretty laid back around here. Once in a while one of us or another gets a bit persnickety, but then we get some rest and all will be well.

Now, as for the questions -- I'll have to take some time and look at them. I'll get back to you if I can give any suggestions.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, vulture1957 said:
On 7/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, CAVinoGal said:

Unfortunately, at our visit yesterday I didn't get any interior photos, as the tasting room was closed, and it was drive by order pickups in the parking lot.  I got one exterior photo of the tasting room and one of the winery production site, hopefully enough for it to be approved.  We didn't get to taste any so I may have to wait till we CAN taste before submitting.  We have tasted many of the wines on previous visits though, would that count?

ahh, we're pretty laid back around here. Once in a while one of us or another gets a bit persnickety, but then we get some rest and all will be well.

Now, as for the questions -- I'll have to take some time and look at them. I'll get back to you if I can give any suggestions.

Update: I just submitted the winery for review, so we'll see if I can use previous tastings to rate my top 2 wines - I explained all that in a private note at submission.  

I'm still trying to figure out what other category (categories) it would fit into - the tasting room is a converted wine barrel, so appropriate and very unique.  And it's also the oldest winery in Lodi.  Is there a category for the oldest something?  I also have an idea for the largest of something - where do those kind of things go?

16 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Update: I just submitted the winery for review, so we'll see if I can use previous tastings to rate my top 2 wines - I explained all that in a private note at submission.  

I'm still trying to figure out what other category (categories) it would fit into - the tasting room is a converted wine barrel, so appropriate and very unique.  And it's also the oldest winery in Lodi.  Is there a category for the oldest something?  I also have an idea for the largest of something - where do those kind of things go?

Like 99 said, Superlatives. Oldest, largest, etc.  But I can't find anything for the big barrel now tasting room. I don't think it really makes it as a building.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, vulture1957 said:

Like 99 said, Superlatives. Oldest, largest, etc.  But I can't find anything for the big barrel now tasting room. I don't think it really makes it as a building.

Okay. Superlatives will work for Oldest, and Largest for another idea I have - but I need to get photos of the Largest.

The tasting room doesn't fit the description for a "building" category.  It's unique, as far as I can tell.  I love it - and I'll keep looking through categories and hope to find a place it will fit.  What is Uncategorized?  Just a place where you put stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else?  

On 7/27/2020 at 5:43 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I'm still trying to figure out what other category (categories) it would fit into - the tasting room is a converted wine barrel, so appropriate and very unique.

Further update: Approved for Winery, Declined for Ginormous Objects, and suggested I try Odd Shaped Buildings.  So I made some adjustments as suggested for Ginormous and re-submitted, and also submitted for Odd-Shaped Buildings.  We'll see....  other ideas?

IMG_20200721_125646 (2).jpg

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Are you trying for a Lucky 7?

I don't think I'll make it to 7; I might get 4.  It was approved for Odd-Shaped Buildings, waiting on Ginormous Objects, and I have to do more research for Oldest Winery.  That's only 4.  But the process of learning categories, requirements, multiple write ups for the same place but with a different take, it's been interesting!

15 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:
35 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Sorry. But don't forget it doesn't have to be just one thing, like the winery. Any other close waymarks you have could potentially help. 

yes. look for Signs, do they have wi-fi (technology), history, recreation or parks, historical markers

It will require another trip to gather the needed info, if it's even in the realm of possibility.  That particular winery/area is an hour drive, usually on the way to someplace else!  We pass by to pick up wine for wherever we are headed.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:28 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Further update on my WIne Barrel tasting room: Approved for Winery, Declined for Ginormous Objects, and suggested I try Odd Shaped Buildings.  So I made some adjustments as suggested for Ginormous and re-submitted, and also submitted for Odd-Shaped Buildings.  We'll see.... 

Approved in Odd-Shaped buildings, declined a second time for Ginormous with the following comments: So it's published in two categories, and I need more documentation for Superlatives if it actally would work there.  It doesn't seem that it's going to work in Ginormous.

[nay] A barrel with a roof is not an object, it's a house.

[nay] Again, it's just not ginormous enough in my opinion.

11 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Approved in Odd-Shaped buildings, declined a second time for Ginormous with the following comments: So it's published in two categories, and I need more documentation for Superlatives if it actally would work there.  It doesn't seem that it's going to work in Ginormous.

[nay] A barrel with a roof is not an object, it's a house.

[nay] Again, it's just not ginormous enough in my opinion.

the category descriptions says it should be measured in stories. I took that as meaning more than 1 story high, to be ginormous. It looks to me to be only about 1 story high. And, it is a big barrel, but it was built as a big barrel. So barrels ARE built that big.

• Helpful 1

Ever have your nice walk totally deflated?  I'd read about her disappearance and discovery so many years later, but this memorial at the University of Texas really drove it home.  Doesn't look like it's a go for Citizen Memorials or any of the sculpture categories, so if there's interest somewhere, holler.  I won't say "enjoy," but rather, "appreciate."

Untitled.thumb.jpg.925c546bf63125411c9bb1db04af65af.jpg

When we visited Belgrade, Serbia I noticed this interesting bench, that was made to remember an old tree that is no longer there:

f8dedbf8-49a7-4332-a28c-f69a40ceb7f4.jpg

It has yet to be accepted in the Artistic Seating category. The trunk is a copy of the original trunk of the tree, but in bronze. They used the wood of the original tree too to create this bench.

Now is that also a Realistic Object Sculpture? In this case the trunk is the object, but I would rather have your opinion before trying it.

It was declined in Artistic Seating, because "This isn't artistic enough for this category. Sorry." :( This is one of the decisions that I don't understand (especially when I look at some other "artistic" seatings in that category), but accept.

Now, if it isn't artistic enough for the Artistic Seating category and will not fit in the Realistic Object Sculptures category, which category should I try next?

Edited by PISA-caching
On 9/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, PISA-caching said:

The trunk is a copy of the original trunk of the tree, but in bronze. They used the wood of the original tree too to create this bench.

"Exact Replicas"

In our daily travels we often see exact replicas of known art, buildings and other structures, sometimes in full size, sometimes in miniature. The replica may be thousands of miles away from the original but sometimes, seeing an exact copy can be almost as good as the real thing.

A place to log locations of exact replicas of known or famous statues, sculptures, paintings, landmarks and structures, etc. If the items are not as well known, but are specific to or "famous" in your region, please include them as well. The replica should be permanent to its location or part of a permanent installation. The replica can be full size or a miniature version of the original. This category can include replicas of items that are located in, or are part of, a museum collection. It will not include any object that can be purchased in a store. The proper definition of replica is a copy made by the person who made the original although it is now commonly used to refer to any copy. In this case any copy will suffice as long as it is an exact copy of the original.

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=f59a7a20-2c6d-4b2b-8144-55c380702733&exp=True

I also thought about Exact Replicas, but it is the replica of a tree stump and they are looking for "replicas of known art, buildings and other structures". Additionally, the "Instructions for Posting a Exact Replicas Waymark" says:

1. Only exact replicas of "known" or "famous" items will be accepted. The originals must be man-made and need to have some kind of history behind them.

So, since the tree was natural, I doubt that they will accept it there.

BTW, at least the infoboard of the tree was accepted: https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM136C5 and it's my first waymark in that category. Hooray!

PS: Yes, Max, a very cool artistic seating, but not "artistic enough for this category". :unsure:

Edited by PISA-caching
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:37 AM, ScroogieII said:

Andreas, I take it that you haven't submitted it to Realistic Object Sculptures as yet. I would at least give that a shot before giving up. What's the worst that can happen?

Well, there is an example in the description of that category, that says: If the object (in my case the tree stomp) is part of a bigger sculpture (in my case the bench), it will not be accepted. I totally understand that, because it is hard to make a limit then. The only 100 % option I now see is the Wikipedia category, because there is a Wikipedia entry for the bench.

Edited to add: If Alfouine (who is one of the officers of the Realistic Object Sculptures category) says, that it doesn't fit in their category, I won't make him the trouble of denying it.

Edited by PISA-caching
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, there is an example in the description of that category, that says: If the object (in my case the tree stomp) is part of a bigger sculpture (in my case the bench), it will not be accepted. I totally understand that, because it is hard to make a limit then.

Yes that's the problem, and the other problem is that is a real artistic bench, sometimes you can ask officer to call for a vote if you disagree his opinion.

15 hours ago, Alfouine said:

Yes that's the problem, and the other problem is that is a real artistic bench, sometimes you can ask officer to call for a vote if you disagree his opinion.

You mean, I could resubmit it to the Artistic Seating category and ask for a call for a vote? Well, I would get one "No" for sure and there aren't that many officers in that category. So chances are slim and I don't think that I want to waste their and my time. Besides, the bench was already accepted in the Wiki category.

Edited by PISA-caching

Another category just came to my mind: "Superlatives". Because this bench is the first (if not only) monument (in Serbia), that is commemorating a plant.

And what about "Dedicated Benches"? The description says "The bench must have a plaque that honors someone or something in order to qualify for this category." There is a (separate) plaque and it honors something (the old tree). I wonder what the officers think.

Edited by PISA-caching

PISA-Caching... Artistic Seating looked to me as a long shot. The idea is cool, but I see no art there. I understand both, your attempt and the officer's declination. I believe there is a shady area in Waymarking where nobody is right or wrong, and this is a good example of it :-)

This said, the category in which I am officer, "Best Kept Secrets", would work for that, considering its description:

"Do you know of some place in your town or neighborhood that is unknown to most of the locals and that you would like to share with the Waymarking community? A place with a great view, an interesting artifact, or the location of some event that is of interest to the general public. We want the visitors to exclaim, "Wow! I didn't know this was here."

"A Best Kept Secret is a waymark that shows off a place that most people don't know about but has enough general interest for most people to want to visit and find out more about it. These are the places we think made the very best virtual geocaches. And like virtual geocaches, visitors are expected to provide verification of their visit – usually by finding answers to question that can only be answered by visiting the site."

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Torgut said:

PISA-Caching... Artistic Seating looked to me as a long shot. The idea is cool, but I see no art there. I understand both, your attempt and the officer's declination. I believe there is a shady area in Waymarking where nobody is right or wrong, and this is a good example of it :-)

This said, the category in which I am officer, "Best Kept Secrets", would work for that, considering its description:

"Do you know of some place in your town or neighborhood that is unknown to most of the locals and that you would like to share with the Waymarking community? A place with a great view, an interesting artifact, or the location of some event that is of interest to the general public. We want the visitors to exclaim, "Wow! I didn't know this was here."

"A Best Kept Secret is a waymark that shows off a place that most people don't know about but has enough general interest for most people to want to visit and find out more about it. These are the places we think made the very best virtual geocaches. And like virtual geocaches, visitors are expected to provide verification of their visit – usually by finding answers to question that can only be answered by visiting the site."

Great idea.

11 hours ago, Torgut said:

Well, the art is, that somebody has the idea to recreate the tree stomp out of bronze metal and transform it to a bench using the rest of the wood that is still usable. Then you need someone who is able to do it. You need someone who is able to dig out the tree stomp, make a form, create a big bronze tree stomp, make it look like wood and create a bench from the rest of the wood. This is by far more art then to take a regular bench, paint 2 birds and 3 clouds on it and call it an artistic seating. Even I could do that, but I wouldn't have the idea or the know-how to create that bronze bench. And if they asked an artistic sculptor to make a monument to commemorate this old tree, who am I to say it is not art. Anyway, enough of it.

Your idea is great, but I'm not a local, so I am not sure, if the bench is really a secret (remember, it even has its own Wikipedia page), but we'll see. Thanks for the idea. I will think about it.

45 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, the art is, that somebody has the idea to recreate the tree stomp out of bronze metal and transform it to a bench using the rest of the wood that is still usable. Then you need someone who is able to do it. You need someone who is able to dig out the tree stomp, make a form, create a big bronze tree stomp, make it look like wood and create a bench from the rest of the wood. This is by far more art then to take a regular bench, paint 2 birds and 3 clouds on it and call it an artistic seating. Even I could do that, but I wouldn't have the idea or the know-how to create that bronze bench. And if they asked an artistic sculptor to make a monument to commemorate this old tree, who am I to say it is not art. Anyway, enough of it.

Your idea is great, but I'm not a local, so I am not sure, if the bench is really a secret (remember, it even has its own Wikipedia page), but we'll see. Thanks for the idea. I will think about it.

I really like your reasoning here. Makes a strong argument to be in some kind of art category.

Meanwhile the bench was accepted in the category "Dedicated Benches" and I followed the advice of Alfouine, submitted it once more to the category "Artistic Seating" and asked for a vote of all the officers, to depend not just on the opinion of ONE officer who thinks it "isn't artistic enough for this category". We'll see.

UPDATE: The waymark has been accepted in the category "Artistic Seating". Thanks, Alfouine and the officer who accepted it.

Edited by PISA-caching

I have a monument in Argentina to be waymaked but can't find a proper category for it. It's a homage to the victims of the dictatorship regime... any ideas? 

By the way... I remember there is a category for those machines which "coin" a medal of a specific touristic attraction but can't remember its name... anyone knows it by heart?