Which category for this?

6 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

It was accepted in the silhouette art sculptures category. 

Thanks for helping. After 10 years of using this site I'm still not any good at it. I try to keep it simple and found this marker interesting. I was discouraged here, but when I found out what it actually is and who the artist was and that there are others interested in these outside of Waymarking.

I believe I can locate more examples of the Harrison Mayes Roadside Art signs.

Congratulations. I'm not religious at all and I never heard of the artist, but sometimes I'm dour, especially if someone says "not possible". As far as the officer saying "can't be waymarked in any category", I think that they don't have the time to consider ALL the categories. They have so many waymarks to approve, answer questions etc. So, a second opinion here in the forums is always a good idea.

Compared to me you're lucky, because you seem to not care which category your waymark is in. I had a few waymarks that I thought (and still think) fit perfectly in a specific category and they were rejected for different reasons. I had to post them to other categories and although they were accepted there I still think that they are a loss for the category that I chose initially.

19 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Those are public art placed by  Henry Harrison "Harrison" Mayes. I was correct about the old part. 

I believe these can be Waymarked now with more research.

that's great news. I hope it gets accepted. I, for one, am sorry "we" couldn't be of any more help. I know I went thru the entire listing of waymarks a couple of times, trying to see if I thought it might fit somewhere, and came up empty. Now, reading the additional comments, one problem was that I couldn't see exactly how that was made. It looked (and still does, for me) like it was a metal sign with the lettering painted on. I see I was incorrect (not the first time, not the last). But as I said, good to hear that you may have found a good home for it. I agree that if I had seen it, I would have photo'd it and been looking for a category, too.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Imagine that!!! It turns out that a sufficient amount of research can get a Waymark approved. Kudos for your perseverance.

Heck Fire - now you even have the makins' of another obscure category. ;)

Keith

I would have thought that there would be an existing category for roadside curio's & oddities or known artists. I could not come up with anything on my own. I believe once that I knew exactly what I was Waymarking it was not just a stoopid sign with a religious message. I thought I had decent photos that show how big this thing is, turns out from research it 13 x 4 feet. Where it's placed was once the highway right of way that the artist called "No Man's Land" according to what I have read. This guy was kinda like Geocachers. He did not ask to place his works of art that he called "Sacred Signs". He placed them in the middle of the night and left muggle messages on them about going to Hell. Yes, this man was an artist in so many ways. But will there ever be a category here for him or others that place roadside art, I doubt it. But there should be because it is a art form by one artist.

I did find 2 other, maybe 3 groups that are interested in recording the locations of these Mays Signs. If you have ever drove through Harlan county, you will figure out why Mayes used concrete. It's bullet resistant. :D

So with Waymarking,... I'm not good at it. Telling the story of Mayes with a geocache placement and actually making an interesting visit to the site....... why do I bother fighting to have a WM published here? One of those same photos is getting quite a few views on flickr, and my only intent is to share a photo that I found interesting. Maybe I'm just sharing in the wrong group. :(

Hi to all.

Behind the Airport Hahn in Germany I have found an Abandoned Air Force Site, in the past known as Hahn Air Base, but it was not a radar site so it didn't fit in that category.

Airport Hahn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt–Hahn_Airport#Military_past

Hahn Air Base https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahn_Air_Base

Hahn Air Base was a United States Air Force installation near Kirchberg Germany for over 40 years. The major unit was the United States Air Force's 50th Fighter Wing during most of the years it was active.

Its full of old shelters with NATO signs to hide F-16's and I found bunkers and an old look out-tower.

Any idea which category?

Thx, John.

Edited by dreamhummie
Typo ;-)
13 hours ago, dreamhummie said:

Hi to all.

Behind the Airport Hahn in Germany I have found an Abandoned Air Force Site, in the past known as Hahn Air Base, but it was not a radar site so it didn't fit in that category.

Airport Hahn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt–Hahn_Airport#Military_past

Hahn Air Base https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahn_Air_Base

Hahn Air Base was a United States Air Force installation near Kirchberg Germany for over 40 years. The major unit was the United States Air Force's 50th Fighter Wing during most of the years it was active.

Its full of old shelters with NATO signs to hide F-16's and I found bunkers and an old look out-tower.

Any idea which category?

Thx, John.

military installations. I was stationed at Ramstein AB when Hahn closed. We were sent over to get some of the equipment for Ramstein. THat would have beem between 1990 and 1993.

• Upvote 1

GREAT, I will post it in Military Installations  too.

When I was on vacation in RLP last month. I stood on top of the Bismarck tower in Landstuhl, speaking a German.
He often looks with his binoculars at Airbase Ramstein and told me that there will be huge upgrades in the coming months.
Lots of big hangars for more planes and even hospitals.
Perhaps because of the threatening attitude in the world against the USA.

Grtz & Thx John.

18 hours ago, dreamhummie said:

GREAT, I will post it in Military Installations  too.

When I was on vacation in RLP last month. I stood on top of the Bismarck tower in Landstuhl, speaking a German.
He often looks with his binoculars at Airbase Ramstein and told me that there will be huge upgrades in the coming months.
Lots of big hangars for more planes and even hospitals.
Perhaps because of the threatening attitude in the world against the USA.

Grtz & Thx John.

drink a Bischoff Hefe Weissen for me next time you are down there. Or better yet, mail me a case!  :-)

There's a lot of art-related categories that I've never tried -- mainly because I'm pretty strong left brained, though I do compose music from time to time.

Is there a category into which I could submit a statue of King Kamehameha?  Or does it even warrant a Waymark?

[I am in agreement that not everything has to be Waymarked. :) ]

Hello community, first of all a little early, I wish you a happy new year for the year to come, that you find and publish full of new quality waymark as you know so well.

I recently found a lighthouse that marks the separation between the North Sea and the Channel, I have already placed in the category of lighthouses, but is there a category that marks the separation between two seas?

IMG_1027.JPG

9 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

thank you very much, I have already published in "Wikipedia Entries", but I'm looking for another category that really shows this exceptional point as the border between two ocean.

12 hours ago, Chickilim said:

Official Local Tourism Attractions?

http://www.cote-dopale.com/tourisme/phare-de-walde

Thank you very much, I tried, I wait for the answer

30 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Lately I took a photo of this cross:

cross.thumb.jpg.868c342d7d1cdba5fb74c02648159762.jpg

The category Churchyard Crosses wants "free standing crosses" that are "NOT attached to a church", so it wouldn't qualify there.

The category Christian Crosses also wants a "free standing monument". So, any idea where I can list this one?

statues of religious figures

Edited by vulture1957

My next "which category" question: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXQ9M

A concrete post with R/W stamped on it. Turned out to be a highway Right of Way marker and there's an interesting blog post from an Arkansas museum about those markers. Turns out a waymarker contacted them to find out what those markers were all about: http://shilohmuseum.org/wordpress/right-of-way/

Submitted and declined in Public Land Survey Monuments and in US Benchmarks. The latter category does accept Right-of-way markers if they are in the form of disks, but not posts such as this one.

da6dd1fd-50e1-4104-a866-23c10a6ad261.jpg

• Upvote 1

Outcome "Wind Gauge - Lethbridge, Alberta, has been denied" 

Ginormous Everyday Objects: not tall enough

Realistic Object Sculptures:  seems more functional than an art sculpture

Approved: Roadside Attractions

Approved: Superlatives 

Edited by BK-Hunters
8 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Outcome "Wind Gauge - Lethbridge, Alberta, has been denied" 

Realistic Object Sculptures:  seems more functional than an art sculpture

Functional?!?  Having spent plenty of time in Lethbridge, I never experienced wind that could move that thing.

Edited by elyob

Ok, well my second guess would be "Wayside shrines". To me, these objects are a modern variation of what the "Wayside shrines" category describes as "some sort of column or pillar ... placed by a road or pathway". If I were a fan of that category, I would also like to see these concrete signs of religion, but of course it's up to the officers to accept it or not.

Well, why not? But you shouldn't rely on me. I'm not an officer in that category and English is not my mother tongue AND I know little about these items. The category talks about "small sacred monuments". I assume that your monuments are not sacred, but I don't know it and I also don't know how strict the officers take the word "sacred". But maybe you should directly contact the leader of the according group.

7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, why not? But you shouldn't rely on me. I'm not an officer in that category and English is not my mother tongue AND I know little about these items. The category talks about "small sacred monuments". I assume that your monuments are not sacred, but I don't know it and I also don't know how strict the officers take the word "sacred". But maybe you should directly contact the leader of the according group.

Well, I had some unpleasant experiences with this group in the past. Their definition of wayside shrines is very, very narrow and basically only covers one specific type that is almost exclusively found in the area of the former Austrian Empire. They have one officer, though, who accepts almost everything, but this is usually going to be corrected by the other ones soon.

But the cross in your picture above fits well in the wayside cross category.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I found a funny Cars vehicle in Alabama, and was checking to see if it fits in a category. Dead vehicles isn't a fit, but they have a link if the vehicle is turned into a piece of art (which mine is, I think). But the link is dead, so I don't know what they are referring to. Anyone know?

DeadVehicles.png.564a7bc0a9be5259f48a29a12700862f.png

Perhaps Permanent Car Displays?

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I found a funny Cars vehicle in Alabama, and was checking to see if it fits in a category. Dead vehicles isn't a fit, but they have a link if the vehicle is turned into a piece of art (which mine is, I think). But the link doesn't provide anything helpful, so I don't know what they are referring to. Anyone know?

DeadVehicles.png.564a7bc0a9be5259f48a29a12700862f.png

The link is not working, but should lead to the Art Vehicles category. The link goes to
http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/default.aspx?DCTGUID=8d57df3d-8797-40e6-b961-4b3abc973642 but the parameters are wrong.

If you take any link to a category, for example http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=d704d91d-1a3b-4c64-8bd2-1aac836f1ff2&r=10&st=2 and replace the ID in it with the ID of the link above, you get http://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=8d57df3d-8797-40e6-b961-4b3abc973642&r=10&st=2 and voila, you're in the Art Vehicle category.

Anyway, Permanent Car Displays might be the best chance.