Which category for this?

Officers are generally strict because they want quality Waymarks that meet the requirements.

To some of us, this is more than just a game, like Scrabble.  It's also a good way to document things that are worth documenting.  Once you start letting anything into a category -- just so that folks won't say that the officers are so strict -- you've just cheapened the activity/sport/hobby/game/recreation of Waymarking.

If that isn't easy to understand, you may be in the wrong hobby...

• Upvote 1
54 minutes ago, MountainWoods said:

Officers are generally strict because they want quality Waymarks that meet the requirements.

To some of us, this is more than just a game, like Scrabble.  It's also a good way to document things that are worth documenting.  Once you start letting anything into a category -- just so that folks won't say that the officers are so strict -- you've just cheapened the activity/sport/hobby/game/recreation of Waymarking.

Yes but the officers can not throw the ball "it's not in the right category it's in the other"

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, pmaupin said:

Yes but the officers can not throw the ball "it's not in the right category it's in the other"

An officer can approve or deny. Period. Any additional comment regarding another category that might fit is always a try to help, not more and not less. Calling this "throwing the ball" is not appropriate.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, fi67 said:

An officer can approve or deny. Period. Any additional comment regarding another category that might fit is always a try to help, not more and not less. Calling this "throwing the ball" is not appropriate.

I just wanted to say that one officer of one category had sent me to another, and that in the other an officer had sent me back to the first one, hence the idea of a ball coming and going

• Upvote 4
11 hours ago, MountainWoods said:

I agree

I NEVER said that

I just have a different point of view ...

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

I really got a kick out of the "cheapened the activity/sport/hobby/game/recreation of Waymarking" comment. It's a free site supported by geocachers. That is pretty cheap. :D

We're talking quality, not price.  Many sites have free contributions, such as FindAGrave.  You can put in "cheap" (low quality) information into such sites, just as in Waymarking.  Unfortunately, I found several instances where someone came back from a day of walking cemeteries and put the information for a grave in the wrong cemetery.  That cheapens FindAGrave.

22 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Okay, now I understand. But can't the same be said about missing and relocated Waymarks here in the database? When I first started WM'n I thought it was a group of nit picky people and was told that my WM's were substandard because I'm a copy/paste waymarker. I just see Waymarking as a source to store and share interesting locations, and it does not have to be perfect. I'm not OCD about Waymarking, it's just a game.

We agree on Waymarking as a source to store and share interesting locations.  For me, though, it is more of a documentation site than a mere game.  My thinking is that the serious traveler might want to use Waymarking to search for interesting things in a location they'll be visiting or passing through; just as I use an old Readers' Digest book to do the same thing.  That being the case, I lean a bit more on the let's-get-this-right side.

As to copy/paste, I have always discouraged that -- even where I worked (before retirement), simply because the source site for the information may be updated in the future, but the copy/paste obviously will not be.  Example: Someone updates a Wikipedia article to fix misinformation (another user contributed site!); but tough luck on anyone who copy/pasted from that article!

There's one category where I would like to just put in a link to the source site, even though I know it will require that the reader will have to click a link to a different site to get more information (wow, what labor!), but the category officers do not agree, and would rather have potentially stale information pasted into the Waymark.  I just have to agree to disagree with them; knowing that the resulting category of Waymarks will lose quality over the years because of their decision.

Keeping existing waymarks current is a consideration.  I have gone back to a bunch of my waymarks and fixed them when things changed.  I had to "UNABANDON" a cemetery because some local group noticed that it was totally uncared for (maybe because of my waymark??) and started regular maintenance.  (Good and bad on that!  Good for the cemetery, bad for the waymark.)

I also don't hesitate to make Edit Suggestions from my Waymark visits (yes, I do visit many waymarks not my own) when required by subsequent changes to the object of the waymark.  I always try to think of Waymarking as a document/list type of thing that can be used by the aforementioned serious traveler, meaning that it should only contain what is needed to whet the interest of the waymarker, including links to better sources (kept current) on the waymarked object, rather than copy/paste potentially stale information.  Anyway, that's my thinking.  Since it is considered a game, I'm sure that there'll be a widespread set of opinions on both copy/paste and quality/"pickiness".

Now back to What Category For This?

23 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Neither can I, but I see them everywhere now and feel they deserve a category to waymark them. 

I can understand that you like them, I like them, too.

Seriously, not so much the boxes as such, but the plastic bags to take they have on the sides. They had an unobtrusive brown these days, today they come in orange and red (like jail suits). When my kids were little babies, these bags turned out to be the absolutely best to put full nappies in when on the way. Totally superior to any commercial product and freely available at every street corner.

Around here they have become the single most frequent item in public space over the last 25 years or so. I estimate about 1000 within ten miles around home. For prevalence reasons, I have to sadly say no to this category.

I also see them everywhere - in both rural and urban areas, especially those rural areas where they expect tourists. They are at every rest area and truck stop along the interstates, at all state visitor centers, anywhere there is a "pet comfort area", and in all the state parks near the picnic areas or public restrooms. I see them at hotels in big cities and in small towns. 

In cities, these "doggie baggies" dispensers are in all parks, downtown squares, at dog parks, and along walking or hike-and-bike trails - anywhere a dog might be with its owner having fun.

So I also think there may be a prevalence issue here, and also a question as to whether they are interesting. I agree with a previous poster who used them for human babies, they were LIFESAVERS in the diaper days :) 

Found this while walking a cemetery not too long ago.  Doesn't seem to be a fit for the Korean Memorials, but it's a cenotaph for one lost American soldier.   Findagrave notes that he was murdered in Korea, buried on the spot, and we don't know where his remains are today.  If anything, Graves of Unusual Deaths will take it.

Hunt (Greenville) Clinton Cemetery DSC08052.jpg

Edited by QuarrellaDeVil
Added something
3 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Other than etched in stone, any other ideas? It was declined there, but I added some information and resubmitted it. 

Jesus is coming soon WM.

I had been given a rejection at "Etched in Stone" last time with the note "Etched in Stone is for a memorable quotes etched in stone."

I can not imagine that this text is a memorable quote.

Perhaps you could still place it under "Unusual Signs"? Because, who really believes in such a thing?

On 10/20/2017 at 4:30 PM, Manville Possum said:

I'll try etched in stone and if that fails, I'll photoshop a space invader on it. :P

If you're gonna Photoshop it, put in an error, like a misspelling - then it would REALLY fit in "Human Error".

OR - instead, photoshop the space invader upside down and shoot for two categories...

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
36 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

If you're gonna Photoshop it, put in an error, like a misspelling - then it would REALLY fit in "Human Error".

OR - instead, photoshop the space invader upside down and shoot for two categories...

Keith

If cheating is allowed: Claim that it was moved and post it to "Relocated structures". :-)

8 hours ago, kaschper69 said:

Because, who really believes in such a thing?

Myself and others of the Christian faith. I'm sure that to nonbelievers think that this is just a silly sign, but to me it's not. It's a reminder to me that Christ is returning.

It is a quote from Revelations in the Bible. It has stood the test of time, it's old. It's concrete and formed as one solid piece. 

What is becoming of Waymarking. I believe the end is near.

6 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

If cheating is allowed: Claim that it was moved and post it to "Relocated structures". :-)

Sorry, at first I did not get your joke. I did not understand there was a category called human error.

It's not cheating if I actually place a space invader on the marker is it? 

You know, jokes aside. I find it interesting. I took the time to Waymark it with pictures and coordinates, and I would like to list it as MY waymark. My son and I were having a nice outing that day and it is the only one item that I felt compelled to waymark, and I took several pictures that day. Now, I come here wanting to waymark 1 item that I don't know where exactly to put it, so I come here to ask. I'm only looking for 1 category to place my new WM in. Is that so difficult for the community here to help?

• Upvote 2
24 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Wayfrog,

I found 37 categories for signs, and none seem to be fitting for my new WM. Would you care to help me find a category for it?

Thank you.

All the categories in the Signs department are for signs that have some relation to the location of the sign, how weak ever, but all those signs say: "Here ..."

Your sign has a general message that is not refer to the actual location. I still believe, Etched in Stone is the best place (but I am not an officer). Was it rejected?

29 minutes ago, fi67 said:

All the categories in the Signs department are for signs that have some relation to the location of the sign, how weak ever, but all those signs say: "Here ..."

Your sign has a general message that is not refer to the actual location. I still believe, Etched in Stone is the best place (but I am not an officer). Was it rejected?

The reviewer thought it was flat and the letters were painted on, and it needed to last 100 years. I'm guessing it's already been there for 60 years.

Also the source of the quote was cited, which is the Bible from Revelations 22:12

From reading the criteria, I believe it fits.

Another category I have been viewing is relief art. I believe it meets the criteria there as well. Most of these categories have the same officers, I was hoping for some help and not what I've encountered here. 

I only ask for very little here. 

5 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

The reviewer thought it was flat and the letters were painted on, and it needed to last 100 years. I'm guessing it's already been there for 60 years

Is there any way you can show that the letters aren't flat and aren't painted on? It sounds as though that may be your best avenue of attack.

Keith

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

The reviewer thought it was flat and the letters were painted on, and it needed to last 100 years. I'm guessing it's already been there for 60 years.

Also the source of the quote was cited, which is the Bible from Revelations 22:12

From reading the criteria, I believe it fits.

Another category I have been viewing is relief art. I believe it meets the criteria there as well. Most of these categories have the same officers, I was hoping for some help and not what I've encountered here. 

I guess, that the idea of "Etched in Stone" is to list long-lasting citations. Therefore they ought to be 3dimensional. If it is just painted on the sign, the text might have been there for 60 years, but it's also possible that is had a different text earlier or will have a different text in the future. If it is not 3dimensional, it's no relief, no?

How about "Silhouette Public Art Sculptures"? At least it's a Silhouette of a heart, no?

Edited by PISA-caching
16 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

Sorry, at first I did not get your joke. I did not understand there was a category called human error.

It's not cheating if I actually place a space invader on the marker is it? 

You know, jokes aside. I find it interesting. I took the time to Waymark it with pictures and coordinates, and I would like to list it as MY waymark. My son and I were having a nice outing that day and it is the only one item that I felt compelled to waymark, and I took several pictures that day. Now, I come here wanting to waymark 1 item that I don't know where exactly to put it, so I come here to ask. I'm only looking for 1 category to place my new WM in. Is that so difficult for the community here to help?

No Problem. At least you got to know the "Human Error" category now.

About the cheating: I was referring to the idea to use photoshop. If you really put a space invader on it, it would be ok. But would the owner like it? :-)

3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I guess, that the idea of "Etched in Stone" is to list long-lasting citations. Therefore they ought to be 3dimensional. If it is just painted on the sign, the text might have been there for 60 years, but it's also possible that is had a different text earlier or will have a different text in the future. If it is not 3dimensional, it's no relief, no?

How about "Silhouette Public Art Sculptures"? At least it's a Silhouette of a heart, no?

I think Silhouette Art could be a better fit than Wayside Shrines, the only other category I could think of for these objects.  

About the cheating: I was referring to the idea to use photoshop. If you really put a space invader on it, it would be ok. But would the owner like it? :-)

I would not deface public or private property, and it's way I was against the space invader category for promoting it. Maybe in slums and ghettos they are considered art.

It is a relief, the letters are about 3/4 inch deep and painted black. 

6 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

It is a relief, the letters are about 3/4 inch deep and painted black. 

Well, to me a "Relief Art Sculpture" needs more than engraved letters. Most headstones (here in Austria) have letters engraved in stone, but that isn't what I would call "Art". On the other hand, I assume that the heart is rather flat, so it's definitely a silhouette and (to me) closer to the term "Art" than engraved letters. You might as well post them in both categories and see what happens.

5 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, to me a "Relief Art Sculpture" needs more than engraved letters. Most headstones (here in Austria) have letters engraved in stone, but that isn't what I would call "Art". On the other hand, I assume that the heart is rather flat, so it's definitely a silhouette and (to me) closer to the term "Art" than engraved letters. You might as well post them in both categories and see what happens.

I agree, but what I have encountered is that several of these categories have the same officer, so whatever category I submit it to, they will find an excuse to reject it.

IF we had a site admin here, maybe they could help?

Yes, I also had waymarks being rejected and I didn't (and sometimes still don't) understand why. Whenever it comes to terms like "art", "old", "interesting" etc. you depend on the good will of an officer. I think the site admins also had to read through the long description of the possible categories and they can also only presume what the officers will decide. Best chance is to contact the leaders and ask for their opinion, if you don't want to waste too much time creating waymarks that get rejected.

7 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Yes, I also had waymarks being rejected and I didn't (and sometimes still don't) understand why. Whenever it comes to terms like "art", "old", "interesting" etc. you depend on the good will of an officer. I think the site admins also had to read through the long description of the possible categories and they can also only presume what the officers will decide. Best chance is to contact the leaders and ask for their opinion, if you don't want to waste too much time creating waymarks that get rejected.

Or just quit Waymarking and having to deal with this group that hijacked it. I believe it's their intent to run off members here. 

4 minutes ago, Manville Possum said:

Or just quit Waymarking and having to deal with this group that hijacked it. I believe it's their intent to run off members here. 

Don't be so negative. I think they all try to keep their categories "clean" within the borders that they defined in the category description. Sometimes these borders aren't very clear, but I don't believe that anybody has the intent to run off members. Why would someone do that? I'm an officer in just two categories and I always find it hard to reject waymarks, especially if it's a general problem and nothing that can be fixed easyly. After all we are all only humans and we all have our own opinion about what is art, what is old, what is interesting etc. And I personally always try to understand their arguments like I hope they try to understand mine.

Soooo, give it a try, mail the leader of silhouette art sculptures and see what he has to say.

9 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Don't be so negative. I think they all try to keep their categories "clean" within the borders that they defined in the category description. Sometimes these borders aren't very clear, but I don't believe that anybody has the intent to run off members. Why would someone do that? I'm an officer in just two categories and I always find it hard to reject waymarks, especially if it's a general problem and nothing that can be fixed easyly. After all we are all only humans and we all have our own opinion about what is art, what is old, what is interesting etc. And I personally always try to understand their arguments like I hope they try to understand mine.

Soooo, give it a try, mail the leader of silhouette art sculptures and see what he has to say.

Some of those categories have inactive leaders, so I can't contact them and ask. I have got negative responses and nothing helpful. I was told my WM would not fit any know category, so I went to another and found the same officer there, so why bother?

As many things that are Waymarked, have I found an object that can't? I don't think so. 

Waymarking has Devilish locations and 666 sightings as categories. Maybe Jesus is just not welcome here?

Thank you for your help. 

10 minutes ago, elyob said:

Mayes and his signs certainly are famous.  If you get lucky, there may be a reference to your sign in a local newspaper for the News Article Location waymark category.

I can't find anything locally, but even found a nice youtube video and there is a museum about 2 hours away in Clinton, Tennessee that has a display of his artifacts.

It was accepted in the silhouette art sculptures category. 

Thanks for helping. After 10 years of using this site I'm still not any good at it. I try to keep it simple and found this marker interesting. I was discouraged here, but when I found out what it actually is and who the artist was and that there are others interested in these outside of Waymarking.

I believe I can locate more examples of the Harrison Mayes Roadside Art signs.

3 hours ago, Manville Possum said:

It was accepted in the silhouette art sculptures category. 

Thanks for helping. After 10 years of using this site I'm still not any good at it. I try to keep it simple and found this marker interesting. I was discouraged here, but when I found out what it actually is and who the artist was and that there are others interested in these outside of Waymarking.

I believe I can locate more examples of the Harrison Mayes Roadside Art signs.

Imagine that!!! It turns out that a sufficient amount of research can get a Waymark approved. Kudos for your perseverance.

Heck Fire - now you even have the makins' of another obscure category. ;)

Keith