Which category for this?

I'm surprised that there is no category for farm/fruit stands.

There is a category for farmers' markets, which have to be the produce from > 1 farm, and which have become pretty common.

But the old farm/fruit stands that I remember well from my childhood in the 1960s, and which are now exceedingly rare, have no presence in Waymarking. That is a pity.

I remember driving a short distance from our home in northern Illinois to the then small town of Crestwood, which was mostly a bunch of farm fields with a few businesses along Cicero Avenue, (look at it now in Google Earth!!), and there were a couple of different farms that had stands staffed for a good part of the day by a member of the respective families of those farms. They were delighted when you stopped to purchase corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, or whatever else they sold.

When we drove down to my grandparents near Kankakee, there were a few stands along the way vying for customers to drop by. Some of them with just an honor system drop box for money, and just pick out your own dozen ears, or whatever.

Even less than 20 years ago when we lived near Paw Paw, IL we'd drive east on Chicago Road and stop at a stand for some fresh produce. That stand may still be there.

But they have become very few and far between. The few hold outs deserve to be remembered in Waymarking -- in my opinion, even more so than Farmers Markets.

Edited by MountainWoods

I'm surprised that there is no category for farm/fruit stands.

There is a category for farmers' markets, which have to be the produce from > 1 farm, and which have become pretty common.

But the old farm/fruit stands that I remember well from my childhood in the 1960s, and which are now exceedingly rare, have no presence in Waymarking. That is a pity.

I remember driving a short distance from our home in northern Illinois to the then small town of Crestwood, which was mostly a bunch of farm fields with a few businesses along Cicero Avenue, (look at it now in Google Earth!!), and there were a couple of different farms that had stands staffed for a good part of the day by a member of the respective families of those farms. They were delighted when you stopped to purchase corn, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, or whatever else they sold.

When we drove down to my grandparents near Kankakee, there were a few stands along the way vying for customers to drop by. Some of them with just an honor system drop box for money, and just pick out your own dozen ears, or whatever.

Even less than 20 years ago when we lived near Paw Paw, IL we'd drive east on Chicago Road and stop at a stand for some fresh produce. That stand may still be there.

But they have become very few and far between. The few hold outs deserve to be remembered in Waymarking -- in my opinion, even more so than Farmers Markets.

I have very fond memories of the Rancho Arnaz farm store on the road to Ojai from Los Angeles, and the little farm store outside of Solvang that had Texas 1015 onions! I bought a 40# bag - my then-boyfriend now-husband thought I was NUTS, until he tried one.

We went back the next weekend for more...

And there was a strawberry farm store on a then-rural stretch of the CA 60 (Pomona Freeway) in Orange or San Bernardino County (I was on the way to Pasadena) that I stopped into when stuck in a traffic jam. Yum!

In Texas, there are hundreds of small farm stores in Fredericksburg (peaches), Noonday (onions,) Gilmer (local sweet potatoes, Pecos (cantaloupes), Luling (watermelons), Dawson City (peanuts), and all around East Texas (blueberries, tomatoes, and fresh black-eyed peas) and the Rio Grande Valley (citrus, tomatoes, peppers, you name it - they grow it in the Valley).

A possible WM issue issue is, they are seasonal. So for most of the year you could be Waymarking empty sheds, since they only open when what they grow is ripe and in season.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

I do like those roadside farm stands, but I see a prevalence problem. You say they are becoming less rapidly in your area and that's a pity, but in my area it's different. They were totally extinct in the mid-20th century. I did only know of them from tales of the elder generation. And then they came back and now there are more than ever. In fact, I have not seen a farm without one for quite some time.

MountainWoods, is it your intention to start a proposal for "Fruit Stands'?

Perhaps if you started a new proposal thread, to open a discussion, as it could get overlooked here.

Interesting idea.

Wellll, I'm not very good with the politics that goes into making a new category, never having successfully started one. It's interesting to see that these single farm stands are actually growing in some areas. Obviously they would have to be "seasonal permanent" -- that is, the same location every year, as opposed to a pick-up truck that sells product hither and yon; but with the understanding that many (probably most) will only be open seasonally, depending on the produce, of course.

I'm behind anyone who wants to propose such a thing in the proper forum. My original post was more along the lines of "thinking out loud" about something that seemed a pity to me in terms of a hole in Waymarking. In fact, I don't even know of a farm stand around where I live in the Ozarks that I could Waymark. But I kept the photos for one in Florida on a recent trip. Just in case the hole ever got plugged. :D

I do like those roadside farm stands, but I see a prevalence problem. You say they are becoming less rapidly in your area and that's a pity, but in my area it's different. They were totally extinct in the mid-20th century. I did only know of them from tales of the elder generation. And then they came back and now there are more than ever. In fact, I have not seen a farm without one for quite some time.

So are we talking 20 stands in a 1 kilometer stretch of road? Or 5? Or 1 per km? Are they as common as fire hydrants are in towns? Just curious as to how badly there would be too many of these.

So are we talking 20 stands in a 1 kilometer stretch of road? Or 5? Or 1 per km? Are they as common as fire hydrants are in towns? Just curious as to how badly there would be too many of these.

It depends. We have two different kinds of historical agricultural landscapes. The areas where the farms were on the farm land far from their neighbors, and the areas were the farmer's homes were concentrated in farming villages. Today, these two types are not as strictly separated as in centuries gone by, but you will still recognize the difference.

The stand alone farm areas will have their stand at the nearest roadside or signs from the road to the stands at the farm buildings. So there, it will maybe not have more than one or two per kilometer, sometimes not even.

But in traditional farming villages you can find a stand in front of every third house, much more than fire hydrants.

20 stands per acre at flea markets, and that is where I buy my fresh produce in season. :) Yes, they are quite common in my area. B)

Okay. What I was thinking of is stands at the farm itself, though I neglected to say so. IF I were in the mood to start a category, that would be one of the requirements. Not booths at some large gathering, but individual farm stands at the end of the driveway, or whatever. Those are the things I remember, and really miss, from the 1960s and before.

Edited by MountainWoods

Actually, Manville Possum, you hit on the reason that the single-farm stands at the end of the driveway have just about disappeared in the US (and yes, I travel all over the US and rarely ever see them any more) -- it's because of farm consolidations. The small single family farm is rare. There are large single family farms (e.g. How Farms Work near Potosi, WI) and large consolidations (some run by a single family or extended family, and some run by corporations). But the 40 to 160 acre family farm that had a family member available to sit along the road and hawk their wares are rare now. In this part of the Ozarks, look for an Amish farm. But not many of them have a separate stand.

Consolidations began taking off in the 1930s and 1940s, when tractors and farm equipment became affordable enough for a farming family to purchase, replacing their horse, ox, or mule teams. Soon, the equipment gave the farmer the ability to do so much acreage, that (if they're anything like a lot of us), they just didn't feel like sitting around all day after an hour or two in their small fields planting or cultivating or harvesting. Might as well buy up some more land. And so on.

It's an interesting study that I got into because of studying the history of tractors.

Anyway, back to the topic of "Where Do I Post This Waymark?"

Actually, Manville Possum, you hit on the reason that the single-farm stands at the end of the driveway have just about disappeared in the US (and yes, I travel all over the US and rarely ever see them any more) -- it's because of farm consolidations. The small single family farm is rare. There are large single family farms (e.g. How Farms Work near Potosi, WI) and large consolidations (some run by a single family or extended family, and some run by corporations). But the 40 to 160 acre family farm that had a family member available to sit along the road and hawk their wares are rare now. In this part of the Ozarks, look for an Amish farm. But not many of them have a separate stand.

Consolidations began taking off in the 1930s and 1940s, when tractors and farm equipment became affordable enough for a farming family to purchase, replacing their horse, ox, or mule teams. Soon, the equipment gave the farmer the ability to do so much acreage, that (if they're anything like a lot of us), they just didn't feel like sitting around all day after an hour or two in their small fields planting or cultivating or harvesting. Might as well buy up some more land. And so on.

It's an interesting study that I got into because of studying the history of tractors.

Anyway, back to the topic of "Where Do I Post This Waymark?"

About the only thing I ever will see when I'm on the road would be is the occasional "on your honor" stand where you pick up a few tomatoes or eggs and drop the money in a box. I could see ole MountainWoods sitting by a roadside stand hawking his wares, though! :)

1 hour ago, pmaupin said:

Hello everyone
I just discovered in my city a revolutionary boat "energy Observer"

http://www.energy-observer.org/en/

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Observer

it squalls in Boulogn-sur-mer before starting a journey in all the sea Of the globe.
I do not know in which category to place it as it will move around the planet.
Thank you for your help
Philippe

I doubt this find will fit into any existing category.

There are a few 'sighting' categories, but I don't think this is a good idea. Waymarking is based on coordinates, moving things just do not belong here.

Lately I found this sculpture, that is made of firefighting-related items like fire extinguisher, fire hose etc. It is standing next to an apartment building and there was no sign or other Information about it's age, the creator etc., but I found it very interesting and worth a waymark. My first guess was "Figurative Public Sculpture", but maybe some experienced waymarker has a better idea.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Manville Possum said:

I have seen Dream Catchers in paintings, and they are a form of Native American art. Recently I saw one that was quite different, and was displayed in a store front that sells Native American art. Is there a category that will accept these works of art on public display?

Dream Catcher.jpg

Okay, thought I've seen more designs than many. 

I'd be curious what a "dream catcher" with a thong, beer can and chew tin attached would be classified as too.

1 hour ago, BK-Hunters said:

Are you still interested in continuing with this idea: Fruit Stands? 

Is there a group started? 

I still like the idea. Need help?

Barb of BK-Hunters

As I mentioned, I was just "thinking out loud", which I often do.  As to whether I will continue with thinking out loud on that idea, I kind of doubt it.  It's the nature of my "out loud thinking" that it is comprised of things that pop into my head from time to time, but generally don't stay around for very long.

So anyone is welcome to do whatever they wish with the crazy idea that I had.  Main points I was thinking of were that it should not be any kind of collective farms, such as in a farm market, but just a road-side stand set up for a single farm.  Not sure that is always easy for the reviewer to distinguish.  And that it not be a place where folks just park their pickup truck every year to sell produce, but should be a fixed-location shelter.  Probably should be located at the farm in question to avoid confusion or "maybes" or "what ifs".  I think.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking of.  I only know of one such beast at this point, and that is Robert Is Here near Everglades National Park in Florida.  I haven't seen any other single farm stands in ages.  (Interesting story behind Robert Is Here, including the funny name.)

For the Continental Reformed and Congregational Church waymark category, we use the following wikipedia site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations#Calvinism

That same site correctly places Brethren and Mennonite congregations under Anabaptism.  Because Waymarking does not have a category for Anabaptism denomination's church buildings, does that not place them as "other places of worship" under the religious building multifarious Waymarking category?

Southern Baptist is Baptist.

Edited by elyob

Sorry to confuse, the CRaCC has nothing to do with the Mennonites, Brethren or any Anabaptist church.  I simply mention the CRaCC because there is already a link being used by the Waymarking community to determine which church can be accepted in a building category.  More to follow...

Edited by elyob

Your Vertical Church building should twice qualify in the religious building multifarious category.  As an autonomous church, it can be considered non-denominational.  As an affiliate of the Mennonite tradition, it can be considered Anabaptist.  Both non-denominational and Anabaptist church buildings should be in religious building multifarious as there is no other Waymarking home for either.

Phillipe - if the towns are underwater, I think maybe you are out of luck, unless the towns have Wikipedia entries. Maybe news article locations? Wierd story locations?

We have lakes that have engulfed towns in Texas, but many times they reappear and can be visited when lake levels change and the towns "rise again". Once exposed, many of these towns will be visitsble for years.

1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

Wikipedia says. "Construction of dams has produced ghost towns that have been left underwater."

So why not list them in the "Ghost town" category?

I'd love to see these inundated towns there - I've visited several in Texas and along the MX border 

https://www.texasobserver.org/bluffton-texas-lost-civilization-rises-from-lake-buchanan/

I'll reach out to the Ghost towns category managers to make sure they know about this thread. :) 

Here's the email I sent:

Hey Bean Team :) The Ghost town category is being discussed in the forums, in the thread "What category for this?" on page 3. Do y'all accept inundated towns? I have photos of at least 2 Texas towns that were inundated by dam construction that are/can be exposed and that I have visited, and which anyone can visit when they're out. We'd love to see a category officer weigh in on this topic over there -- Thanks :)

5 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

I'd love to see these inundated towns there - I've visited several in Texas and along the MX border 

https://www.texasobserver.org/bluffton-texas-lost-civilization-rises-from-lake-buchanan/

I'll reach out to the Ghost towns category managers to make sure they know about this thread. :) 

Here's the email I sent:

Hey Bean Team :) The Ghost town category is being discussed in the forums, in the thread "What category for this?" on page 3. Do y'all accept inundated towns? I have photos of at least 2 Texas towns that were inundated by dam construction that are/can be exposed and that I have visited, and which anyone can visit when they're out. We'd love to see a category officer weigh in on this topic over there -- Thanks :)

50 minutes ago, TheBeanTeam said:

Thanks for the invite to the topic. 

They fit perfectly in the Ghost Towns category. It would fit under the "Human Caused Disaster" variable. 

Hello
thank you very much for these searches, the forum is really nice.
Well now to me to publish this waymark
A big thank you Benchmark Blasterz for this request from the group of Ghost towns category.
A good day, friendly
Philippe

We have a beer cellar in our town.  Not a brewpub, like I usually find when I do a search for this term, but an underground cellar, with a door and stone structure built into the side of a hill.  This is a notable pace in our village, but were on earth do I place it?  I'm about to mark it in  "Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious".  It's a storage area that has been around for at least 100 years and is now used by the local garden society, still as storage.  Thanks for any help on this one.

1 hour ago, WadleClan said:

We have a beer cellar in our town.  Not a brewpub, like I usually find when I do a search for this term, but an underground cellar, with a door and stone structure built into the side of a hill.  This is a notable pace in our village, but were on earth do I place it?  I'm about to mark it in  "Dated Architectural Structures Multifarious".  It's a storage area that has been around for at least 100 years and is now used by the local garden society, still as storage.  Thanks for any help on this one.

Does it have a date inscribed on it? Is it stand alone? If so, it may be better in Dated buildings and cornerstones. 

Is this cellar all that is left of a brewery? If so it could go in preserved architectural remnants and ruins.

Can you please post a photo?  

2 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Does it have a date inscribed on it? Is it stand alone? If so, it may be better in Dated buildings and cornerstones. 

Is this cellar all that is left of a brewery? If so it could go in preserved architectural remnants and ruins.

Can you please post a photo?  

Unfortunately, I cannot post it.  Even though the file shows it is less than 2MB, when I try to add it, the site says it's too large.  I can place it under dated buildings then.  It is dated and stands alone.  It's a storage cellar and always was, not part of another building.  It's the old-fashioned way of store food, or in this case beer, for the whole town.  Thanks for the category. :-)

14 hours ago, *Team Krombaer* said:

BIERKELLER

können Touristische Attraktionen sein. Wenn nur e i n Bierkeller im Umkreis von rund 20 km vorhanden ist und spektakulär genug ist, gibt es die Kategorie "Superlatives", falls in der Denkmalliste des Ortes kann natürlich der Bierkeller auch dort "beheimatet" werden... Noch Fragen ??

Euer *SportBaer*

Danke.  Ich denke "Dated Buildings" ist die beste.  Unsere Bierkeller ist special in dem Dorf und die "ONLY", aber nicht super special. :-)  Danke alles für die Hilfe.

Here's a doozy... we have an execution site near us.  We just found it on a long hike the other day.  There was a dedicated spot where they did beheadings and the original stone foundation still stands.  What on earth would that be categorized as?  I looked at Tragic sites, but the subcategories don't fit.

1 hour ago, WadleClan said:

Here's a doozy... we have an execution site near us.  We just found it on a long hike the other day.  There was a dedicated spot where they did beheadings and the original stone foundation still stands.  What on earth would that be categorized as?  I looked at Tragic sites, but the subcategories don't fit.

What a coincidence! The very same thing just happened to me.

I posted it to our local Heritage Sites category, because it is an A grade object. Now you seem to live in Baden-Württemberg and they treat their heritage list as a state secret (no joke, really!). So even if this location has a protection status and there is the Deutsche Denkmallisten category, it might be nearly impossible to find out if it is on the list. But sometimes one can find newspaper articles or signs that confirm this status.

My find was the last existing example of a special type of gallows in the whole country, so I cross-posted it to Last of its Kind. Maybe your find is also something last, try to find out.

A third option would be Official Local Tourist Attractions, if it is listed on a municipal (or other governmental) web site. Commercial sites do not qualify.

Last but not least, there is a dedicated category for them: Punishment and Disciplinary Devices.  I did not think about this one, before I read your question. I don't know if they accept the stone foundation without a remaining superstructure, but it is worth a try. I am just going to try mine. ^_^

Edited by fi67
typos
2 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Not a household appliance? Heaters are accepted there I think. Not just cooking ovens. 

That was the logical category, but they do not accept Heating unit even if it is not in the exclusion list. And expand the description is not scheduled...

I did not see the coat of arm, unfortunately i could not make a close-up picture.

And relief art is for a sculpture, it's not a sculpture....

We already had this discussion in the forum : Absurd ?

And two of my waymarks were finally approved in Murals category Waymark 1 and Waymark 2

Utility box leader changed the description to exclude these big utility boxes, but Mural officers should approve them.

If i remember well, both leaders had an exchange about these cases

I do not understand when the job is done why officers are so strict....

Edited by Alfouine
  • Upvote 1