Looking for recommendations

I know this topic has been talked about to death, and there are so many threads out there already (which I’ve read most of), but I’m looking to finally make the switch from using my iPhone to a GPS unit. I think I’ve narrowed it down to 3 units, the Etrex 30, GPSMAP 64S, or the Oregon 600. Is there one that you would recommend over the other, or one you would definitely not use? I know the Oregon has had its share of bugs, has that been resolved? Any input would be greatly appreciated! :D

Your personal preference would probably determine which unit you'd prefer. Touch screen means quicker (not THAT much quicker, except for field notes) entry of coordinates and field notes, but your cost will be higher. Size of the screen preference and you're probably still talking the Oregon but also a higher price. I have friends who own the 64s and have had completely different experiences. One has had NO issues whatsoever with her unit while the other one has gone through 3 units for a variety of issues, all replaced by Garmin at no extra cost. I haven't seen many complaints for the eTrex other than the size of the screen.

Have you been able to get your hands on any of the units? Any friends/cachers in your area have the units listed? Play with them a bit if you can and you'll get a good idea of what you will end up with.

I have owned an eTrex30 and upgraded to a 64s. The '30 is an excellent unit. Small, lightweight, long battery life. Very accurate. Had a few annoying bugs in the beginning but almost everything was fixed with software updates over time.

I upgraded because I sort of outgrew the '30. I loaded it up with shaded 24k maps, overlay maps and custom maps. With a detailed map(s) on screen, it was pretty slow with screen redraws when panning the map.

The 64s is MUCH MUCH faster with screen redraws while panning the map. It's practically instant. My 64s is rock solid and a great performer. It's also significantly larger and heavier. And the more powerful processor uses batteries faster. About 16 hours vs 20 on the '30 (approximately). Not an issue - I poop out long before the batteries do.

Touch screen vs buttons or thumb stick is a highly personal preference. You really should visit a store that stocks all 3 and play with them first.

I have friends with the touch screen models and they are happy with them, too. Be prepared for a significant learning curve no matter which way you go. The operation of a dedicated GPS is nothing like a phone app.

I have a 64s. Love it! Had a 62s before that. Loved it! The girlfriend has an Oregon 600. She loves it (it seems to be pretty well bug free but it was a nightmare at launch time). I'm not a touch screen fan at all but that's just me. The one thing I always ask/tell people regarding touchscreen GPS's. If you live in a cold climate and plan on geocaching in the winter, using a touchscreen with gloves on, gets old fast! Yes you can still use it with gloves on but if your gloves are bulky at all, you'll find you're taking them off frequently.

I've always liked the design of the 62/64 series and even the 60 before that. Menus are super easy to navigate through. The Oregon is a little more cumbersome. I seem to spend more time stumbling through menus than I do with the 64s but I'm not as used to the Oregon. I can work the 64 with my eyes closed, very simple design, yet has all the bells and whistles you need,

The etrex line is Garmin's "budget" line of GPS's (even though the eTrex 30 and the 64s have the same price tag - the 64s is the superior unit). They are great solid units and the eTrex line has been around for years! Yes they have been upgraded as technology has upgraded, but they are proven solid units. I know quite a few people that use them. They all say the same thing - functionally it's solid and pretty much bug free but the all say the screen is too small and that it's slow compared to the 64 series especially when panning the map. The processing power just isn't there when compared to the 64. The 64 is lightning fast, as is the Oregon.

Edited by goldsy

IF you plan to add field notes for each of your finds, and especially if you plan on doing quite a few caches in a day, the touchscreen speeds that process up a great deal. The convenience of recording information about the find immediately, rather than going by memory later, can be a real help if you're finding a bunch of them in each run. Dumping those out on the site using the "Field Notes" function is super convenient. I've seen one or two claim they can use the toggle on a 'button' unit as fast as anyone can enter data using the touchscreen, but as I own both, and got pretty good with the button style, I can assure you that those claims are a load of bunk!

Between the 64S and the 600, button/touch is going to be the biggest difference and should be the deciding factor for you.

I'd have recommended a 450 instead (just picked up a 'spare' on eBay for $135), but I assume he's looking for a new unit. Frankly, nothing about the functionality of the 600 has convinced me to replace a working 450.

I have both. The 600 has a brighter screen, GLONASS, no more geocache limit (4 million), ability to recharge battery pack in-unit (or any NiMH if you insert a piece of plastic between battery and button). Not worth the ~$350 to upgrade from a 450 IMHO, but I got my 600 for $250 when it was on sale last year.

Cons of the 600 compared to 450 - compass arrow more sluggish, more bugs, no support for Wherigo. First two may be fixed with subsequent firmware updates. Wherigo support is unlikely to be added. Touchscreen is very sensitive, gets triggered accidentally when just hanging from belt. Screen is flush with body, might be more easily damaged (450 screen is recessed).

I like touchscreen units, so the choice for me among the 3 units is obvious.

5,000 cache limit is keeping me happy here in a VERY cache dense environment, and I have been satisfied enough with battery life that haven't complained there, either. At $250, we might talk, but like I say, I just picked up a spare 450 for $135 in case this one ever bites the dust, and my grandson can use it when we go back out again this Spring/Summer for some caching near his place.

As for GLONASS, yeah, there are a few times where the HDOP due to constellation configuration leaves the EPE worse off, but that doesn't happen all that often. There's this tool that gives a pretty doggone good idea of what you can expect: http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/

For tomorrow, for example, between about 4:00am~4:15am, there will be an issue of that sort at my position. I'll still be tucked into my bed! And once in a while, the mountains can pose more of a challenge, but most of the caches up there fall into the "Regular" category -- nothing like a 30 cal to avoid maintenance -- so being in the ball park is usually enough.

I've found the resistive 'transflective' screen on the 450 to be good in all but near twilight. When the sun is out, you can turn such that the display is knockout bright with outstanding contrast to boot. In the dark, the screen illumination is plenty good. There's half an hour early and late in the day where it's in between -- hardly any sunlight left (certainly not enough to use the transflective feature) and not quite enough backlight, and it might be nice to not deal with that.

Someone just dropped 50 Wherigo caches on us up in the Greeley area (see GC5K40R and all to the SE of there). Will be nice to be able to clear those off the map. I wouldn't have cared that much about Wherigo, but out of the blue, they've started to become popular around here again. Who'd have thunk it?

Can you recharge in-unit on the 600 from a standard USB car charger? I always have a spare pair, but that could be nice when traveling.

I have the 600 and the 64s. Though the 600's screen is bigger and beautiful, and it is easier to input data with its touchscreen, the 64s is what I take Geocaching. The 600 crashes far to often and lacks the 64s's accuracy. Using the 600 just got too frustrating.

I'm hoping that the firmware of the 600 will finally get refined to where it resolves the issues.

Edited by BikeBill

Can you recharge in-unit on the 600 from a standard USB car charger? I always have a spare pair, but that could be nice when traveling.

Yes - you cut a 1" square of plastic - I cut mine from the packaging of my Eneloop. Place it between the case and the battery, where the Garmin button is. Whenever you're connected to USB power, it charges the batteries. Not essential, of course, but nice to have.

I'm hoping that the firmware of the 600 will finally get refined to where it resolves the issues.

There are still small bugs with the 450 that hasn't been fixed, so I'm not holding my breath. Right now, main problems I've encountered with 4.3 firmware is : freeze during startup (happened twice, requires power cycle) and not able to display cache detail for some caches but unit is not frozen (happened about 5 times, also requiring a power cycle). I tried both GGX and GPX, don't seem to make any difference.

Despite these irritations, I'd still pick the 600 over the 64s if they are about the same price. But I must stress again these are only my personal preference.

In reflection I realize that I've been kind of hard on the 600 in my posts lately. It's still a good unit with an exceptional display and many, many features. Coming from a 60CSx, the touch screen took some getting used to as I was always accidentally touching it and changing setting. When I got into the habit of turning the screen off that got better.

I still hope they do a firmware update that at least addresses the freezing issue.

There are still small bugs with the 450 that hasn't been fixed, so I'm not holding my breath. Right now, main problems I've encountered with 4.3 firmware is : freeze during startup (happened twice, requires power cycle) and not able to display cache detail for some caches but unit is not frozen (happened about 5 times, also requiring a power cycle). I tried both GGX and GPX, don't seem to make any difference.

Ref the 450: Since I have become EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA careful about doing a proper USB disconnect on my 450, I've been spared the only two bugs that used to annoy here. The first was as you described - freezing on power up - the 450 would sometimes do so with the progress bar at 50% after a new *.gpx load. The other (perhaps related) was loading a new *.gpx onto the unit, and discovering that it saw no caches upon a normal power up. I've been running 6.20 on my 450 for a long while - saw no purpose in updating further as I think all of the updates beyond that were VIRB and ActiveRouting related or otherwise not something that impacted me at all.