Cache already placed on my property?

GetYourGoat

I recently purchased some land, and was quite surprised to realize that it is most likely (if I solved the puzzle co ords correctly) already home to a cache. I did try looking for this cache, but wasn't able to find it, and it hasn't been found since 25.12.2014

This wouldn't be a problem at all except for the fact that I'd love to be able to place a cache of my own on this property and if the cache placement is correct, then it would be too close for me to place one anywhere. The area where I am right now isn't at all picturesque and I don't want my first placed cache to bring people to some toxic rubbish eddy, but at the same time I don't want to have to travel super far out of my way to get to the cache as I want to be able to maintain it properly. My property would be perfect for this, scenic, and public enough for people not to feel like they are trespassing. I'm also out there on a weekly basis so I would never be far away if the cache needs help.

I've messaged the current cache owner, but apparently their last visit to the site was Monday, 18 August 2014 so I'm not sure I'll get a response.

Help! Is there anything else I can do?

Log a needs archived. It's your property, if you allow people to geocache on it, you can also control where they go to geocache on it. Best way to do that is place your own cache. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with asking a cache to be archived so you can place your own, if it's on your property. On someone else's, well that could be....tacky? Cheesey?

Try an email to a local reviewer with the GC Code and your solution coords, and note that you've tried the cache owner, no response. Want to know if your solution is correct, because if it IS, it's on your own property. I think that you'd get a "yes, or no" re correct solution from a reviewer. Or they might kick it up to staff.

If it is on your own property, you can certainly request archive.

... it hasn't been found since 25.12.2014

That's only a month. Not that long ago for a Puzzle cache, especially if it's one of the harder ones.

I've messaged the current cache owner, but apparently their last visit to the site was Monday, 18 August 2014 so I'm not sure I'll get a response.

Check their Found caches. If they log on with a phone to log their finds, it wont show on the web site.

If you do contact them, they might be willing to move the cache to somewhere you are happy with.

Otherwise, yes, contact a Reviewer -and as the landowner- ask for Archive.

(But it could look a bit mean, if you only want it Archived so you can place your own, and you cant find the Puzzle!)

Thank you everyone for getting back to me!

Check their Found caches. If they log on with a phone to log their finds, it wont show on the web site.

They've only found one cache since 2012, and it was on 18.8.2014

If you do contact them, they might be willing to move the cache to somewhere you are happy with.

I have already contacted them, as mentioned in my first post

Try an email to a local reviewer with the GC Code and your solution coords, and note that you've tried the cache owner, no response.

I'm going to do that right now

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with asking a cache to be archived so you can place your own, if it's on your property. On someone else's, well that could be....tacky? Cheesey?

Yeah, that's why it's a bit of a sticky situation...I would feel really horrible if I was actually wrong with the co ords and it wasn't on my property ^_^;

You could also just go ahead and place a cache on your property and submit for review. If it gets published, then all is well and proximity is not a problem (maybe your solve for the puzzle is incorrect). Or, since the CO has not replied, try contacting a previous finder to confirm the location.