Geocaching Daytrip in Seattle Area

lbrokaw

I am planning my first full day of caching soon to celebrate my 40th birthday, and have pretty much used up my local caches, or rather, would like to save the remainders to keep my streak alive -- so would like to head 40-90 minutes out from the Eastside to a town smaller than Seattle -- don't want difficult parking issues, but a city, or couple nearby cities big enough to support a healthy caching community. Kirkland/Redmond/Woodinville/Bothell are pretty much used up. Any suggestions for a town or two that would make a good day trip, and where I can pick up a bunch of quality caches? Thank you so much!

I am planning my first full day of caching soon to celebrate my 40th birthday, and have pretty much used up my local caches, or rather, would like to save the remainders to keep my streak alive -- so would like to head 40-90 minutes out from the Eastside to a town smaller than Seattle -- don't want difficult parking issues, but a city, or couple nearby cities big enough to support a healthy caching community. Kirkland/Redmond/Woodinville/Bothell are pretty much used up. Any suggestions for a town or two that would make a good day trip, and where I can pick up a bunch of quality caches? Thank you so much!

It really depends on the type of caching you like. How many caches do you intend to find? Do you like finding large numbers or super high quality containers? Difficult well-camouflaged containers? Beautiful vistas? Finding really old caches? Short hikes on trails you never knew were there? There are any number of towns that are an hour or two away that have lots of good caches that should fit the bill. I would suggest looking at a couple of places to get ideas. First off, look at the WSGA Cache of the Month list (bookmark list is at http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=60a3ecd5-df40-46cc-89fa-9e604cf62a39). Those are all highly rated caches for one reason or another. If you are a premium member, use the new advanced search feature to filter out caches based on minimum number of favorite points from a given location that you are considering and see if that seems like a good number of interesting ones to go visit. Finally, look at the geocaching.com map for an area that you are looking at and see if there are enough caches for that spot to be interesting (at least in terms of numbers).

--Cliff

Probably a little too far but I always enjoy caching in Bellingham. Good variety of cache types, hides, sizes and scenery. Great trail system throughout the city. The only parking issues I've had is around the university, but an extra block or two of walking has always solved that.