How Far Can You Throw A 64ST?

Lighteye

OK, so after undergoing multiple surgeries, then suffering a home burglary and the loss of my trusty 60Csx, I bought a new 64ST and was very excited about the use of the one free year of bird's eye maps. I picked up a LOT of spare weight sitting in a wheelchair and it was time to walk it all off again.

I registered the unit, updated basecamp, and saw how to grab areas of bird's eye view and check the box "send to device when complete". Seemed easy enough.

I don't see any bird's eye view on my device whatsoever. In the dim dark days of GPS 10 years ago, you had to turn different map layers on and off to view them. Is there some magic trick to getting them visible on my GPS? I've owned a dozen GPS units over the years, but this one is quite possibly the most infernal one yet.

Having these maps functional would be the only improvement over my 60 CSx. This one is no faster, no more accurate, and the display brightness even at max is unpleasant at best. It's about to either be launched into the wall or sent back to Amazon if I can't figure this out soon. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lighteye B)

Sorry to hear about all your troubles!

I don't have an answer for you regarding bird's eye. I played around with it on Base Camp but haven't tried transferring its data to my 64s.

That being said, I'm surprised to hear you say that your 64st is no faster than your 60CSx. I went from a 60CSx to my 64s (by way of an Oregon 600 - but that's another story). The 64s is much faster at zooming and panning. Plus, if you are a geocacher there's no 1000 cache limit and all the cache details including recent logs are right in your hand. It's easier to punch in the additional coord's to a multi, too.

I think the 64x is a big step forward from the 60CSx and am surprised to hear of your disappointment. I agree that the display isn't improved.

Regarding your title statement: I think an overhand spiral technique would give you the most distance.

Edited by BikeBill

@Lighteye: Probably a safer bet to run it to the dump.

Regarding your title statement: I think an overhand spiral technique would give you the most distance.
Just make sure there aren't any Patriots nearby. :mad:

I'm unclear as to what you are/aren't seeing. Are you saying that there's no map displayed on top of the Birdseye image, or that you see only the map? I'm guessing the latter. Loading the maps isn't enough. You'll need to be sure to manually enable Birdseye in from the Setup/Map/Select Map menu, and afterward, for best viewing, select the 'contrast' level for Birdseye that works best for you on your screen.

You have to Enable the Birdseye map after it has been copied to the unit, same as any other map you install. From the Map view, select Menu and Setup Map. Scroll until you see the Birdseye map and Enable it. I have the 64s and just love it. In my case, I upgraded from a more modern unit so the software and menus were more similar between the two units than would be the case with your situation. Stick with it. You'll eventually get comfortable with the new system.

From Map information---select map, my listed choices on the unit for maps are

1.Worldwide DEM basemap

2.Digital Globe

3.USGS quads

4.TOPO US 100k

Turning all of the above on or off does not change what I am seeing on the unit. Am I missing something obvious?

I appreciate the replies, just trying to unravel the mystery that is this unit.

Thanks!

Lighteye

1.Worldwide DEM basemap

2.Digital Globe

3.USGS quads

4.TOPO US 100k

Digital Globe is going to be the satellite imagery. The unit comes preloaded with a sample image of the Eiffel Tower. USGS quads is the Birdseye TOPO demo image which is the USGS paper maps converted for use on the handheld. There should be a demo image of the Grand Canyon on it. There should be preloaded waypoints for both of those locations as well. If you go to Main Menu -> Waypoint Manager -> BirdsEye Demo -> Map, you should see it.

OK...thanks for the replies folks, I finally got it functional.

When downloading the birdseye imagery, there is a box to check to send to GPS unit when download was complete. Of course I checked that. Basecamp itself wasn't doing it automatically. As soon as I went into basecamp, at the bottom left , was a listing of my birdseye maps. I had to manually select one, then right click and choose send to device. Voila, problem solved.

My issue was believing that it would automatically be sent to device as was shown. Problem solved, and I'll be taking my gimpy old self back out on the trail this weekend with my new toy.

:laughing:

OK...thanks for the replies folks, I finally got it functional.

When downloading the birdseye imagery, there is a box to check to send to GPS unit when download was complete. Of course I checked that. Basecamp itself wasn't doing it automatically. As soon as I went into basecamp, at the bottom left , was a listing of my birdseye maps. I had to manually select one, then right click and choose send to device. Voila, problem solved.

My issue was believing that it would automatically be sent to device as was shown. Problem solved, and I'll be taking my gimpy old self back out on the trail this weekend with my new toy.

:laughing:

That matches my experience as well, now that you point it out. Checking the "copy to device after download" has never worked for me. When it's finished downloading, I drag and drop to the device. I like it better that way anyway, because then I can specify that it goes to the SD card and not main memory.