Glitter Bomb

Spenny!

Would it be a once-off explosion or somehow repeat everytime the cache was opened?

Personally, I wouldn't like it but as I read the cache descriptions (not everyone does, you know!), I would at least have the choice as to whether I opened it or not.

Also, wondering how the use of the word "bomb" would go down in a cache description?

Well I think if you ask permission, and specify about the glitter bomb, and the you will clean up any and all glitter (you might get one finder, you might get 1000) and make sure the people looking know what will happen it would be allowed. But then to make sure, you'd have to be at the cache location 24/7. So ya, but no it probably won't happen.

I've found a few geocaches that used the spring-loaded "snake in a can" gag items. They aren't particularly fun to find. Maybe the CO would have been amused if he/she had been there. Or maybe not.

A glitter bomb cache sounds no more entertaining than one of these spring-loaded "snake in a can" caches, with the added disadvantage that it can't be reset easily for the next finder.

I've found a few geocaches that used the spring-loaded "snake in a can" gag items. They aren't particularly fun to find. Maybe the CO would have been amused if he/she had been there. Or maybe not.

A glitter bomb cache sounds no more entertaining than one of these spring-loaded "snake in a can" caches, with the added disadvantage that it can't be reset easily for the next finder.

I once found a cache that screamed when you opened it. It was funny though, and it was well maintained.

It would not surprise me a bit if you were to find that your cache would disappear completely within a few finds. Someone is going to be seriously annoyed about this just for the inhalation and eye irritation possibilities. Then there is the difficulty in getting rid of the stuff from their clothes. I bought a used car over a year ago that I figured I would be able to get rid of the glitter that was stuck to the back seats and the floor of the cargo area. Still trying to do that. It should have occurred to me that if CarMax had the car on the lot with glitter on the upholstery that it probably wasn't going to go away easily.

Would it be considered unethical to put a glitter bomb in a cache container (belonging to myself, of course)? Even if on in the description there was a warning to let people know what they are going to get when they open it?

Just wondering.

What a horrible idea. :mad:

Why would you want to do something so nasty to strangers?

B.

Considering that someone may inhale the glitter and get it stuck in their lungs, or inadvertently get into their eyes causing cornea damage, as well as littering, then yes, it's unethical. Why would you want to do that to someone you don't know, and especially without being there to see it?

I'm going to put you down for a no then. :o

Considering that someone may inhale the glitter and get it stuck in their lungs, or inadvertently get into their eyes causing cornea damage, as well as littering, then yes, it's unethical. Why would you want to do that to someone you don't know, and especially without being there to see it?

Seriously? Are we really talking about the extreme dangers of glitter inhalation? Isn't it enough just to say it's a stupid and juvenile prank?

Find out what intrigues you about this idea and find another way to acheive that goal. For all the reasons described above glitter isn't a good idea. Also, recommend something (like saake in a can) that can be easily reset for the next finder.

Edited by ras_oscar

There was one cache that used an old abandoned pole-mounted electrical box as the final. When I opened it, there was a standard screw-top rubbermaid food container with the log inside...but sitting on top was a plastic figurine of Peter Griffin from that show 'Family Guy'. When I picked him up to open the container, he started making a big racket with pre-programmed quotes from the show or something...I hadn't realized it was one of those talking toys...very loud. It was in kind of an out-of-the-way spot, so fortunately it didn't draw any attention...but it did make me laugh.

I also found one where there was one of those fake snakes that spring out when you open the container...basically just a big metal spring wrapped in fabric and compressed into the can like the old "peanut brittle in a can trick".

Also, one of my own caches is a locking tab container hidden under a large boulder. I had brought along a rubber snake as swag, but it wouldn't fit inside, so I just wrapped it around the container, not really thinking folks would be alarmed by it. It's gotten a pretty good response though and as far as I know the snake is still there guarding the cache.

Those are fairly innocuous tricks you could employ.

There was one cache that used an old abandoned pole-mounted electrical box as the final. When I opened it, there was a standard screw-top rubbermaid food container with the log inside...but sitting on top was a plastic figurine of Peter Griffin from that show 'Family Guy'. When I picked him up to open the container, he started making a big racket with pre-programmed quotes from the show or something...I hadn't realized it was one of those talking toys...very loud. It was in kind of an out-of-the-way spot, so fortunately it didn't draw any attention...but it did make me laugh.

I also found one where there was one of those fake snakes that spring out when you open the container...basically just a big metal spring wrapped in fabric and compressed into the can like the old "peanut brittle in a can trick".

Also, one of my own caches is a locking tab container hidden under a large boulder. I had brought along a rubber snake as swag, but it wouldn't fit inside, so I just wrapped it around the container, not really thinking folks would be alarmed by it. It's gotten a pretty good response though and as far as I know the snake is still there guarding the cache.

Those are fairly innocuous tricks you could employ.

There's a cache called "Snakes on a Plain" that has one of those "rattlesnake eggs" packets in it. Gave me a jump and a laugh, and I didn't end up with freaking glitter on my personal effects.

Seriously? Are we really talking about the extreme dangers of glitter inhalation? Isn't it enough just to say it's a stupid and juvenile prank?

No.

But Stephen Glasser, an optometrist in downtown Washington, tells ITK that while they might seem harmless, glitter bombs can cause real damage: “If it gets into the eyes, the best scenario is it can irritate, it can scratch. Worst scenario is it can actually create a cut. As the person blinks, it moves the glitter across the eye and can actually scratch the cornea.” Although not likely, it can even cause a potential loss of sight.

That’s almost what happened to one of Glasser’s patients, who was out at a New Year’s Eve soiree where partygoers were tossing glitter around: “It literally scratched not the cornea, but the white of the eye … ince [glitter isn’t] exactly what you’d call sterile, there’s not only a chance of a scratch, but giving the person an infection.”

And it’s not just the eyes that glitter bomb victims have to worry about.

“If the person’s breathing in, it can be drawn up into the nose and into the sinuses and cause one hell of an infection that’s difficult to get rid of because it’s literally an object … that highly irritates the tissue,” says the doctor.

Send me your physical address, and I'll be more than happy enough to mail you a small packet detailing the dangers.

No.

But Stephen Glasser, an optometrist in downtown Washington, tells ITK that while they might seem harmless, glitter bombs can cause real damage: “If it gets into the eyes, the best scenario is it can irritate, it can scratch. Worst scenario is it can actually create a cut. As the person blinks, it moves the glitter across the eye and can actually scratch the cornea.” Although not likely, it can even cause a potential loss of sight.

That’s almost what happened to one of Glasser’s patients, who was out at a New Year’s Eve soiree where partygoers were tossing glitter around: “It literally scratched not the cornea, but the white of the eye … ince [glitter isn’t] exactly what you’d call sterile, there’s not only a chance of a scratch, but giving the person an infection.”

“If the person’s breathing in, it can be drawn up into the nose and into the sinuses and cause one hell of an infection that’s difficult to get rid of because it’s literally an object … that highly irritates the tissue,” says the doctor.

Send me your physical address, and I'll be more than happy enough to mail you a small packet detailing the dangers.

the only reaction I have to all this...

Picard-Facepalm.jpg

I agree that maybe glitter isn't the best option because it'd be impossible to clean up both at the cache site (totally defeating the purpose of CITO, LNT, etc.) and off the person's personal effects. Don't think cleaning it off you/your items is impossible? I once spilled a pinch of glitter on my floor and my cat rolled around in it - go figure. This was well over a year ago. Just a few weeks ago, he came up for some pets and lo and behold - he had glitter on his nose! While this was more of a funny story, it's an annoying mess to clean up and could also be a real pain with expensive caching equipment (think getting glitter out of the battery compartment of your GPS).

I don't think you should be discouraged from making a surprise cache, though. While some people might not like them, there are plenty that do. I like the idea of having the cache make noise when it's opened. If you want to stick with some sort of bomb (maybe with different wording!) theme, maybe you could have the cache make an explosion sound when you open it. Or you could make it so something jumps out at the cacher when the cache is opened (see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331223751617?lpid=82&chn=ps). Both of these are both safer, more environmentally friendly, and easier to reset for other cachers.

I would still use some cheeky wording to make sure they know what they're in for, though. =p

One of my favorite cache finds was hidden in a cemetery (with permission), in some bushes in one of the historical sections of the cemetery. The cache container was coffin-shaped and painted black. Every time you opened the lid, you heard the classic "bwahahahaha!" sound from the old horror films. The log sheet was tucked under a little Dracula doll laid out in the coffin. At least based on Favorite Points, it's one of the most popular caches in my area.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230
I don't think you should be discouraged from making a surprise cache, though. While some people might not like them, there are plenty that do. I like the idea of having the cache make noise when it's opened. If you want to stick with some sort of bomb (maybe with different wording!) theme, maybe you could have the cache make an explosion sound when you open it. Or you could make it so something jumps out at the cacher when the cache is opened (see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331223751617?lpid=82&chn=ps). Both of these are both safer, more environmentally friendly, and easier to reset for other cachers.

I remember a piercing window alarm (think smoke dectector shrill) in an ammo can that lasted a while.

- But most "Gotcha !" caches I've ever seen were quickly dismantled due to some unpleasant experience (with kids mostly) and only remember two that were actually reset by others.

Yeah, I'd go for a sake, but I prefer it in a glass, not a can.

Heathen. You should drink sake from a cup :ph34r:

And put me down for a no for all the reasons given above.

(Edit : can't figure out if "should be drank" or "should be drunk" is correct grammar... so avoiding the issue by rephrasing)

Edited by Chrysalides

Would it be considered unethical to put a glitter bomb in a cache container (belonging to myself, of course)? Even if on in the description there was a warning to let people know what they are going to get when they open it?

Just wondering.

A cache that explodes or intentionally ejects anything at or near a person is a really, really, really, really bad idea. Bad cache. Bad precedent to set. Bad news story. Etc.

A+ for effort, however, Cunninghams!. Sadly, for the you, an idea like that just doesn't belong in this game.

Personally, I feel you should save your prank surprises for a GOOD friend's birthday.

Or maybe even an EX-good friend's birthday.

Unless the "glitter" is some kind of benign biodegradable substance, I'm with the other folks who commented about it leaving trash. Plus the possibility of it getting in someone's eyes or lungs. Guess you'd have to tell us what this "bomb" is really like.

Just wondering.

Just be ready for the retaliation. Personally, I wouldn't take kindly to the bombing.

Just wondering.

it would only be ethical if it were the gold glitter. the silver glitter contains an eye irritant, and the red is dyed with something that causes cancer in 3 toed blind lab rats.

Yeah, I'd go for a sake, but I prefer it in a glass, not a can.

Heathen. You should drink sake from a cup :ph34r:

And put me down for a no for all the reasons given above.

(Edit : can't figure out if "should be drank" or "should be drunk" is correct grammar... so avoiding the issue by rephrasing)

Actually... I think a sake cup (set) is properly called a "grenade". :)

51L4itUUMML._SX425_.jpg

.... at any rate, geocaches that explode or "blow up" really ain't a good idea.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Just wondering.

Just be ready for the retaliation. Personally, I wouldn't take kindly to the bombing.

Yeah. Trying to give someone a heart attack is not a nice thing. The last two snakes that popped out at me got stomped to death!!!!

No.

the only reaction I have to all this...

Picard-Facepalm.jpg

No, more like this!!

double-facepalm-star-trek-gif.gif

There are companies online that offer to send an envelope of glitter to "ruin someone's day". The OP could start with that idea, and keep track of how well it works. Here's a stat: The CEO of one of those companies has quit because he's "sick of it".

Edited by kunarion

There are companies online that offer to send an envelope of glitter to "ruin someone's day". The OP could start with that idea, and keep track of how well it works. Here's a stat: The CEO of one of those companies has quit because he's "sick of it".

Busted for responding without reading any of the replies. :P

In at least one case, it appears to have been a joke, and no glitter was ever sent. Trolling the media, so to speak. This whole thing is absurd anyways. Setting off a glitter bomb would be a gross violation of not only Geocaching ethics, but also "leave no trace" principles.

Busted for responding without reading any of the replies. :P

In at least one case, it appears to have been a joke, and no glitter was ever sent. Trolling the media, so to speak. This whole thing is absurd anyways. Setting off a glitter bomb would be a gross violation of not only Geocaching ethics, but also "leave no trace" principles.

I supposed the OP would place the container on his family's front porch, and I imagined the whole front of that place and yard already completely covered in glitter.

I would vote no--the glitter would be trash wherever you hid it.

Thank you for your adequate response.

Can you provide a picture of the glitter bomb and please explain what it's made of and how it works?

If you like i could PM you a basic idea,

Well I think if you ask permission, and specify about the glitter bomb, and the you will clean up any and all glitter (you might get one finder, you might get 1000) and make sure the people looking know what will happen it would be allowed. But then to make sure, you'd have to be at the cache location 24/7. So ya, but no it probably won't happen.

Thank you for reading the entire post before you responded.

Please don't do this. Cache owners with our last name would never be able to live it down.--Larry Cunningham:P

:)

this

There was one cache that used an old abandoned pole-mounted electrical box as the final. When I opened it, there was a standard screw-top rubbermaid food container with the log inside...but sitting on top was a plastic figurine of Peter Griffin from that show 'Family Guy'. When I picked him up to open the container, he started making a big racket with pre-programmed quotes from the show or something...I hadn't realized it was one of those talking toys...very loud. It was in kind of an out-of-the-way spot, so fortunately it didn't draw any attention...but it did make me laugh.I also found one where there was one of those fake snakes that spring out when you open the container...basically just a big metal spring wrapped in fabric and compressed into the can like the old "peanut brittle in a can trick". Also, one of my own caches is a locking tab container hidden under a large boulder. I had brought along a rubber snake as swag, but it wouldn't fit inside, so I just wrapped it around the container, not really thinking folks would be alarmed by it. It's gotten a pretty good response though and as far as I know the snake is still there guarding the cache.Those are fairly innocuous tricks you could employ.

Thank you for the ideas and input

I agree that maybe glitter isn't the best option because it'd be impossible to clean up both at the cache site (totally defeating the purpose of CITO, LNT, etc.) and off the person's personal effects. Don't think cleaning it off you/your items is impossible? I once spilled a pinch of glitter on my floor and my cat rolled around in it - go figure. This was well over a year ago. Just a few weeks ago, he came up for some pets and lo and behold - he had glitter on his nose! While this was more of a funny story, it's an annoying mess to clean up and could also be a real pain with expensive caching equipment (think getting glitter out of the battery compartment of your GPS).I don't think you should be discouraged from making a surprise cache, though. While some people might not like them, there are plenty that do. I like the idea of having the cache make noise when it's opened. If you want to stick with some sort of bomb (maybe with different wording!) theme, maybe you could have the cache make an explosion sound when you open it. Or you could make it so something jumps out at the cacher when the cache is opened (see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331223751617?lpid=82&chn=ps). Both of these are both safer, more environmentally friendly, and easier to reset for other cachers.I would still use some cheeky wording to make sure they know what they're in for, though. =p

Thanks for you input as well

Didn't expect this to turn into a full blown thingy. Was really just looking for a yes/no maybe so type of thing. But then again what did i expect, this is after all an internet forum. Please excuse me for asking a semi-serious semi-silly question but all of your over the top condescending answers are really unnecessary. Proves that this internet forum like all others is full of sticklers and people waiting for the chance to look cool/smart on the internet.

Edited by Cunninghams!

One of my favorite cache finds was hidden in a cemetery (with permission), in some bushes in one of the historical sections of the cemetery. The cache container was coffin-shaped and painted black. Every time you opened the lid, you heard the classic "bwahahahaha!" sound from the old horror films. The log sheet was tucked under a little Dracula doll laid out in the coffin. At least based on Favorite Points, it's one of the most popular caches in my area.

--Larry

We haven't come across that one yet, Larry. Sounds like it could be the work of a cacher that gave us bats, owls, spiders,snow and a plethora of other great hides.