Intro App Completely Useless now!

Pota78

Hello everybody,

I've made the last update, but now the intro app is completely useless for me...

Now it shows a very few cache, because almost every cache is classified as "advanced" :ph34r: .

Till this morning I can look only for 5 near geocaches, now I can read the description more caches and far from my position, but only those for "beginners"....

Before the last update I could go to find a huge number of caches, now only a few :mad: ... why do an update like this?

Bye, Pota

Hello everybody,

I've made the last update, but now the intro app is completely useless for me...

Now it shows a very few cache, because almost every cache is classified as "advanced" :ph34r: .

Till this morning I can look only for 5 near geocaches, now I can read the description more caches and far from my position, but only those for "beginners"....

Before the last update I could go to find a huge number of caches, now only a few :mad: ... why do an update like this?

Bye, Pota

It's called the intro app to introduce you to geocaching. It's doing what it's supposed to do. Want more? Couple options here. One is to upgrade and get the paid app(do it from the app store, not the app itself or you may accidently get a premium membership. That's not a bad thing to have, but it won't really help with the intro app). Another is to get a third party app, some you have to pay, some are free. Third is to ditch the app and use a gps.

Hello,

thank you both for the replies, I understand your reasons, but I continue to not understand this "politic"...

I'm very enthusiast with geocaching and I've spoken about it with a lot of people... a lot of people starts to search geocaching in this period and thanks to an intro app that enables people to find a lot of caches, fun becomes even more greater...

I've met other geocachers during searches...

Now i'm about at #100 caches found and I was thinking about upgrade to premium membership...

but the people with the intro app now, can not find a lot of caches and I think it will be minor the number of people to impassion to geocaching...

and it will be minor consequently the number of people to buy the premium app or to upgrade to premium membership...

How many caches did you find before upgrading to premium? With the intro app now, it becomes impossible to reach a high number...

with a few caches I think that not a big number of people make the jump to premium membership/app... it seems like Groundspeak wants you to force to buy the premium app, but I'm not sure such a politic will have the results they expect...

It is my opinion ofc... thanks again,

Bye, Pota

Hello,

thank you both for the replies, I understand your reasons, but I continue to not understand this "politic"...

I'm very enthusiast with geocaching and I've spoken about it with a lot of people... a lot of people starts to search geocaching in this period and thanks to an intro app that enables people to find a lot of caches, fun becomes even more greater...

Now i'm about at #100 caches found and I was thinking about upgrade to premium membership...

but the people with the intro app now, can not find a lot of caches and I think it will be minor the number of people to impassion to geocaching...

and it will be minor consequently the number of people to buy the premium app or to upgrade to premium membership...

How many caches did you find before upgrading to premium? With the intro app now, it becomes impossible to reach a high number...

with a few caches I think that not a big number of people make the jump to premium membership/app... it seems like Groundspeak wants you to force to buy the premium app, but I'm not sure such a politic will have the results they expect...

Bye, Pota

I did the update and mine still shows all the caches like it did plus multi's. Obviously the other two people haven't used the intro app. Its better at showing more caches without having to load more with the paid app. But I use both. Well wife uses intro more and I use paid app the most. Back to the point, mine works fine.

Edited by skillet5

Hello,

Bye, Pota

I did the update and mine still shows all the caches like it did plus multi's. Obviously the other two people haven't used the intro app. Its better at showing more caches without having to load more with the paid app. But I use both. Well wife uses intro more and I use paid app the most. Back to the point, mine works fine.

By the way, make sure your signed in with your premium membership to make it work.

Upgrade to the PAID APP. Shows ALL cache types.

Advantages over the Trail app.

Shows ALL cache types, and is a one-off payment, AND is cheaper than a yearly (or quarterly) Premium Membership.

Disadvantage.

IF there are a lot of Premium Member caches in your search area you still cant see them.

Premium Membership on the trial app does NOT show ALL cache types.

Hi,

Thank you again,

for Skillet5--> I don't have premium membership :)

for Bear_and_Ragged-->

you say that it is better pay for the app than have a premium membership...

but the paid app shows all caches even if you are not a premium member?

Thanks a lot to everyone of you :)

The last question...

Does anyone know why policies are changed for the intro app? (before update, it showed 5 nearest caches and, when walking along a road, for example, the app updated the cache continuously, now it shows every "beginner" cache but not "advanced" caches even if very far from the user position)

Thank you all,

Bye, Pota

for Bear_and_Ragged-->

you say that it is better pay for the app than have a premium membership...

but the paid app shows all caches even if you are not a premium member?

Don't confuse Caches and Cache Types.

The trial app only shows Traditional caches, that are NOT PMO*. (And a limited number)

If you pay for Premium Membership you will see ALL traditional caches, and now Multi-caches, including PMO.

The Paid app will show all Non-PMO caches and cache types.

Traditional Caches

Multi-Caches

Mystery/Puzzle Caches

Letterbox Hybrids

Wherigo™ Caches

Event Caches

Mega-Event Caches

Giga-Event Caches

CITO Event Caches

EarthCaches™

Virtual and Webcam Caches (Now grandfathered, but still findable and logable!)

The Paid app and Premium Membership will also include PMO caches.

Unless you are very unlucky, there are very few PMO caches in most areas... The paid app, and no Premium Membership should keep you busy.

The paid app also allows TBs to be logged on the phone.

I don't think you can on the Trial app - even with Premium Membership. :(

*Premium Member Only

The last question...

Does anyone know why policies are changed for the intro app? (before update, it showed 5 nearest caches and, when walking along a road, for example, the app updated the cache continuously, now it shows every "beginner" cache but not "advanced" caches even if very far from the user position)

The Trial app is a 'taster' app, for you to see if you like cacheing. It always has only shown 'Easy' caches that are suitable for a Beginner.

If you do like caching, pay up. The paid for/full/premium app is the cheapest way to do so, and shows more caches.

(If you want the app,DONT try to get Premium via the phone, as others have found it often gets Premium Membership at $30 a year!)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Hi all,

now every thing is clear :)

You are great, everybody :)

But...

2vulk5h.png

"advanced" caches in the image (grey ones) are traditional caches that I could see (the 5 nearest ofc) until yesterday.. now it is not possible anymore...

"beginners" caches in the image (green ones) are traditional caches that I can see (not only the 5 nearest, but everyone) since yesterday...

beginners and advanced are both traditional caches, before the last update intro app doesnt make difference between them, now it does.

BTW,I think I'll buy the App in Appstore ;)

Thank you all,

Pota

Simply put... you're expecting too much from an INTRODUCTORY anything.

If'n you want to do it all, pony up for something that will do it all.

It's like tasting a couple of sausage samples from the lady at the grocery store and then complaining that you're still hungry. Like the taste? Then buy a pack of sausage.

Edited by Chief301

Hey guys. Just to clarify, the intro app has changed. Most of you seem to think that it has always been like this, but like pota78 says, it shows less caches than before. Just a week ago, I could see all traditional caches around me(or at least the 5 closest). Now, about two thirds are marked "advanced cache", even some I have already found.

I can log into the browser and see that an advanced cache is a normal traditional cache, which would be visible to me in the app just a week ago. Now, I understand that it's an intro app, but REMOVING features for existing members is an awfully crappy marketing strategy.

It also makes this exciting sport a "members only exclusive club", which is also a pretty s***ty marketing strategy. I'm just saying, maybe an admin will read this and realize that they are stopping the community from expanding when they do s*** like this...

Hugs from Freya + 3 10 year old siblings, who sure as hell can't afford both the app and a premium membership.