Anyone else getting the "yay" logs?

doc73

I do not know, not that it matters per say, but all of the sudden a few caches I maintain have been logs from newbs with just "yay" as the logs.. At first I though it was weird but hey some are at a loss for words.. But after the second.. Third and fourth times I started seeing a pattern :rolleyes: .

I am guessing it is the App? They are all under 10 finds and have been on different days so I do not think they were a group. I guess I am seeing firsthand the complaints a few have been talking about recently about the free app cachers sometimes being less enthusiastic about their caching experiences...

It isn't necessarily Intro App users. I've seen some pretty lame logging from non-app users, too. There used to be a cacher around here who would log every find with ":)". No exceptions. It could be an extraordinary cache with hundreds of Favourite Points and finders gushing about it in their logs, but they'd still just say ":)". Another cacher who has quickly racked up thousands of finds seems to not be able to find the time to say more than a handful of words about each cache, and what they do say is often either nonsensical or unrelated to the cache.

Unfortunately, though, it does tend to be app users who leave unusually-short logs. Smartphone users seem to be the primary focus of Groundspeak's development, so you can expect to see an increasing number of such logs.

It isn't necessarily Intro App users. I've seen some pretty lame logging from non-app users, too. There used to be a cacher around here who would log every find with ":)". No exceptions. It could be an extraordinary cache with hundreds of Favourite Points and finders gushing about it in their logs, but they'd still just say ":)". Another cacher who has quickly racked up thousands of finds seems to not be able to find the time to say more than a handful of words about each cache, and what they do say is often either nonsensical or unrelated to the cache.

Unfortunately, though, it does tend to be app users who leave unusually-short logs. Smartphone users seem to be the primary focus of Groundspeak's development, so you can expect to see an increasing number of such logs.

OK, it's not all intro app users. Can we say 95% of the time? :lol: And the OP was indeed talking about noobies with under 10 finds. There was once a guy in my area (joined in 2004, I believe) who was not fluent with computers and typing, and would log almost every cache with "good time thx". If you had a question about one of his caches, he would email back "call me 555-5555". But he was quite the exception, and is also long since inactive.

I have seen a decent amount of "yay" logs, but I'm pretty sure not on any of my caches. I rarely get lamo 2 word or less newbie logs. You know how I do it? I don't own a single cache less than .20 miles from parking. :ph34r:

ON two of my caches, I recently got logs from a pair of finders....... Cacher B's log said, "Found with cacher A" and Cacher A's log said, "Found with cacher B". Same logs on both my caches. Maybe better than a prior log on one cache, that log was just one word - "Nice"

Yes they were all in p-lots, no effort involved.. My caches as well require a 1 mile hike and a 4 mile hike so to much work for your average youngin'

I'm in a suburban area, so that's considered far. :)

No matter, the chances of a "yay" logger going on to become an active Geocacher are like .0000001% :ph34r:

I have not seen a log that just says "yay," although it does appear in various texts from one daughter or the other. I would not say that the writer is being "less than enthusiastic about their caching experiences" since some yays can be enthusiastic - whether or not it is about the experience or another smiley is hard to tell, though.

They clearly are less than enthusiastic about writing a meaningful log, but I never take that kind of thing personally. I placed the cache because I wanted to bring people to some place I enjoyed or thought was interesting. Some people may understand it, some people may not. Some people might like it and write about it, some people may not.

I've seen it on some of ours. Noobs with phones and free ap almost every time.

I think I've used 'yay' once or twice myself but always with a qualification log explaining why. Usually on a FTF or a particularly difficult find. Its a bit of fun I 'spose. Easier to type than 'Yeeha". :laughing:

At some point, people need to stop blaming the app and start DEMANDING the developers fix the app. How hard is it to add prompts to log trackables? How hard is it to add prompts about writing decent logs, verifying emails, or visiting the website? They prompt me to rate their app, but they can't initiate the scripts for these much needed prompts?

We've never used anything but the iphone to cache, and when we borrowed a gps, to try against the phone, it didn't do any better. Stop blaming the app, when it's the lack of code writing.

Edited by cheetahspots

I use the app as well, the paid app... I also use A GPSr. I think when you hear complaining about the app it is the intro, free app because there seems to be NO regulation other than see how many people we can get in here, even if they tarnish the experience of others.. Oh how thungs change with time!

But, I agree, they should do a better job of controlling the free app. Of the several "YAY's" only one actually has a verified email... Even though one had 18 finds and the other 14. Maybe one more reason placements are down? Us vetearn cachers, the ones likely to stay around, are tired of being pushed aside. I would be curious how many of these "Yay" folk will be around in 2 or 3 months. But, I guess if they buy in their $10 or $30 then who cares.

At some point, people need to stop blaming the app and start DEMANDING the developers fix the app. How hard is it to add prompts to log trackables? How hard is it to add prompts about writing decent logs, verifying emails, or visiting the website? They prompt me to rate their app, but they can't initiate the scripts for these much needed prompts?

We've never used anything but the iphone to cache, and when we borrowed a gps, to try against the phone, it didn't do any better. Stop blaming the app, when it's the lack of code writing.

Prompts could help, and could have been implemented early on with the apps. I've told the story before (but I'll tell it again) I once had a conversation in 2010 with a 2002 joiner who owns over 100 caches (maybe 80 back then), which was, in a nutshell, "Why are all these newbies logging our caches with Tftc?" That conversation really happened; and we were perplexed. :blink:

As someone who joined in 2003, I find it almost impossible to understand the propensity of many newbs to log these things directly from the phone with "Got it", "Nice one", "Yay", "Woohoo", "Found it" (which used to be considered rude and an insult), and of course the poster child of lame logs, "Tftc". :huh:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Prompts could help, and could have been implemented early on with the apps. I've told the story before (but I'll tell it again) I once had a conversation in 2010 with a 2002 joiner who owns over 100 caches (maybe 80 back then), which was, in a nutshell, "Why are all these newbies logging our caches with Tftc?" That conversation really happened; and we were perplexed. :blink:

As someone who joined in 2003, I find it almost impossible to understand the propensity of many newbs to log these things directly from the phone with "Got it", "Nice one", "Yay", "Woohoo", "Found it" (which used to be considered rude and an insult), and of course the poster child of lame logs, "Tftc". :huh:

I dunno about adding prompts. Maybe if it's possible to add them on the first few finds only, until newbies learn the routine a bit. I'd hate to be prompted on multiple things after every find. That would get old fast. Sometimes I log from the app, but it's never one word. Though I will say it's hard to be creative when it comes to some standard hides (LPCs at Walmart). I do try, though.

I dunno about adding prompts. Maybe if it's possible to add them on the first few finds only, until newbies learn the routine a bit.

That is totally possible. Not sure it would help much, though. At least not with the free app users that got bored with Angry Birds and 2048 and went looking for a new game to play and found the game of Geocaching.

Edited by knowschad

Is it possible that it's not the Groundspeak free app but another free app? Last I saw, there wasn't a canned message, but maybe this has changed.

Could very well be. Would they be able to have an account setup without having a verified email on a third party app?

c:geo doesn't have a canned message.

And you cannot use it without logging into the GC website, so it's not the source of the "never" last login date people.

Correct. That (logging into the website with a verified account) is how that evil site scraping opensource app bypasses Groundspeak's closed API. It's not a "newbie app", believe me. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

What is really odd are the uber-short logs on high D/T caches. Makes you wonder if they somehow logged the wrong cache. 5/5 that takes a couple hours = "Nice"? Huh?

Something I have noticed is that cachers that tend to just write "Nice" or "TFTC" or "Yay!" will write the same log on every cache that they find, while those that tend write a complete unique sentence, or even a paragraph, will do that on every cache they found. The actual cache or what kind of device one uses to find it seems to be less of a factor in what's written in the log.

Providing prompts in the app is a technical solution to what is more likely a social engineering issue.

Its the new standard now a day. Like it or not.

I feel too many CO got too high of expectation. :ph34r: If it does bug you, being a CO isnt for you. :ph34r:

You need alot of thick skin and dont count any nice logs. Most logs I see today are just the same old, same old, even they dont write canned message. You do see a pattern and I do it too.

To me, you found it... YAY! The rest is noise. I dont depend on good logs to make me feel all goodie inside.

Edited by SwineFlew

I feel too many CO got too high of expectation. :ph34r: If it does bug you, being a CO isnt for you. :ph34r:

You need alot of thick skin and dont count any nice logs. Most logs I see today are just the same old, same old, even they dont write canned message. You do see a pattern and I do it too.

To me, you found it... YAY! The rest is noise. I dont depend on good logs to make me feel all goodie inside.

Being a CO is for me, I do not get bothered much by it. My question or comment was more of a trend I was noticing all of the sudden. I just became currious if I was just seeing so.e thing that was not there or if other ones were seeing the same. Hey, if they found the thing and signed the log who am I to care. It was just a curiosity if you will.

I don't think it's too high an expectation or "noise" to get a log that isn't moronic or from some template. Obviously there are very many caches out there that don't earn much (or any) praise...but there's nothing wrong with hoping for better from people. Maybe crappy caches lead to crappy logs which lead to further crappy caches BECAUSE they don't have the expectation of a better log. Maybe crappy logs are a small part of the reason we have fewer 'quality caches' being hidden these days...

I dont depend on good logs to make me feel all goodie inside.

Wish I could feel the same. But then again I don't think I'd hide caches if I didn't get a positive rise out of people. If people only reacted with 'Yay', or 'Found it' or ':)' or 'TFTC' or copy-n-paste notes about their mega day of power caching, I would take it as an indicator that my caches are not interesting enough. Lucky for me, in my area there's enough people who write something specific about the cache, that keep it interesting for me and motivate me to keep creating what I hope are fun unique experiences for cachers.

1422478162[/url]' post='5468060']
1422475597[/url]' post='5468042']

I don't think it's too high an expectation or "noise" to get a log that isn't moronic or from some template. Obviously there are very many caches out there that don't earn much (or any) praise...but there's nothing wrong with hoping for better from people. Maybe crappy caches lead to crappy logs which lead to further crappy caches BECAUSE they don't have the expectation of a better log. Maybe crappy logs are a small part of the reason we have fewer 'quality caches' being hidden these days...

And probably has something to do with the rise in PMO caches.

Edited by L0ne.R

My two caches are PMO. Got tired of seeing issues with none PMO caches around me and made that choice. But, that does not mean I am scott free. My one catch had it's TBA stolen on its deployment by a new PM. So I guess they might not even be safe. My next cache will be close to a trailhead and will also be PMO.

Edited by doc73

There's a cacher in my area that will log every cache he finds, day or night, any part of the entire metro-Atlanta region with: "Found on my lunch break. TFTC."

Sounds like some of my co-workers.

"Where have you been the last 3 days?"

"Out to lunch."

"Uh, huh. How many geocaches did you log?"

I remember seeing a sign once : "Out for lunch. If not back by 5, out for dinner."

There's a cacher in my area that will log every cache he finds, day or night, any part of the entire metro-Atlanta region with: "Found on my lunch break. TFTC."

"Out to lunch."

I remember a few years ago when I had found every cache within 20 miles. FInding a cache while on my lunch break was essentially impossible if I limited my lunch break to an hour.

I dont depend on good logs to make me feel all goodie inside.

Wish I could feel the same. But then again I don't think I'd hide caches if I didn't get a positive rise out of people. If people only reacted with 'Yay', or 'Found it' or ':)' or 'TFTC' or copy-n-paste notes about their mega day of power caching, I would take it as an indicator that my caches are not interesting enough. Lucky for me, in my area there's enough people who write something specific about the cache, that keep it interesting for me and motivate me to keep creating what I hope are fun unique experiences for cachers.

The newer cachers who don't understand logging will not be prompted to write logs by any level of interest. You just can't use that as a reasonable gauge.

When a trusted cacher writes TFTC, *then* you know it's a boring cache.

"Out to lunch."

I remember a few years ago when I had found every cache within 20 miles. FInding a cache while on my lunch break was essentially impossible if I limited my lunch break to an hour.

I'm in Atlanta. An hour lunch is pretty much limited to 5 miles here...on a good day.

"Out to lunch."

I'm in Atlanta. An hour lunch is pretty much limited to 5 miles here...on a good day.

You've got traffic. I've got two lane roads with a 35mph speed limit. I prefer the latter even if it does mean I can't find caches on a lunch break.

I have noticed some found logs like "found it yay" around lately. Only a couple I think on ours, but on other caches too when I am logging our finds from the computer after we get home. Started noticing that a couple months ago. One pair recently found a couple of our caches out in the "outer areas" without finding the easier ones along the way. Prompted me to go look at some cache logs since the caches they found were not that easy in terrain or difficulty, and are not found often (needed to check on a couple of them anyway). Sure enough the pair of Yay Sayers hadn't signed the paper logs so those specific yay logs went into delete history.

Not too many, fortunately. Most people here write decent logs. There are a few who are chronic cut-and-paste offenders and a couple of illiterate people whose logs make no sense. Other than that...

there was this one guy who always logged just a...

wait for it....

:)

Very rarely did he add any extra words, even if the cache had alot of favorite points, but it did happen.

His last log was on one of my caches last June.

To shake things up, he wrote 'tftc' for that last Find It log.

At least, for now, that log marked the end of his caching career. :unsure:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Not too many, fortunately. Most people here write decent logs. There are a few who are chronic cut-and-paste offenders and a couple of illiterate people whose logs make no sense. Other than that...

there was this one guy who always logged just a...

wait for it....

:)

Very rarely did he add any extra words, even if the cache had alot of favorite points, but it did happen.

His last log was on one of my caches last June.

To shake things up, he wrote 'tftc' for that last Find It log.

At least, for now, that log marked the end of his caching career. :unsure:

Just to prove that yay logs really exist: linky

As an added bonus, here's a woo! from the same cache.

As far as the "caching career" of the person The Incredible's mentions, allow me to quote myself from post #9. :P

No matter, the chances of a "yay" logger going on to become an active Geocacher are like .0000001% :ph34r:

There was a cacher active in my area that would log :} for a find and :{ for DNF and that was it. Another more experienced cacher emailed them after he received said log and explained that it would be more nice to log. The cacher changed to TFTC for finds and Boo for DNFs. One puzzle of mine has many Boo logs LOL.

There was a cacher active in my area that would log :} for a find and :{ for DNF and that was it. Another more experienced cacher emailed them after he received said log and explained that it would be more nice to log. The cacher changed to TFTC for finds and Boo for DNFs. One puzzle of mine has many Boo logs LOL.

The rare times lame loggers are confronted (and I've never done this myself, but have heard about it), is in the extremely rare cases where they DO go on to become regular Geocachers with hundreds or more finds, and still drop horrifically lame acronym or two word logs on caches. Then they go and get all offended and do stuff like you say. You can't win, can you? :o

As far as the "caching career" of the person The Incredible's mentions, allow me to quote myself from post #9. :P

The cacher in question actually found 1100 caches before disappearing. The last cache they found was mine and it was right next to a lake. Maybe they fell in just after logging on their smartphone. :unsure:

Maybe they fell in just after logging on their smartphone. :unsure:

Really reaching to take a shot at the smartphone crowd, huh?! :D

Or maybe I should say "eh?" :P

I'm not sure I'm allowed as I cache exclusively with my smartphone. I sold the other thing. :P

Which makes EXACTLY THE POINT I've been making since I started noticing newbies dropping lame logs on us en masse in 2010. My only problem with the "smartphone crowd" is their strong propensity towards lame logging. What on earth makes these people think "yay" or "woo" is cache log? Do you think I went out in the woods in 2003, came home, went to the cache page, and typed "yay" on my computer?