Does it count?

There's not much point in hiding caches if you are going to be an irresponsible, lazy cache owner.

That's a Canadian attitude if I ever heard one.

Really? Because the Canadian stereotype seems to be that of a relaxed, laid-back people who enjoy a good beer while having fun. At the extreme, you might even imagine them as irresponsible and lazy.

19cec594-1133-4207-b3e3-71ac08c6443f.jpg

Have you given up labeling people as Puritans?

Edited by CanadianRockies

It started a while ago, I forget where/which thread, where people seem to be enjoying slamming narcissa for being Canadian.

I forget the whole deal. It's one of those forum things, like the old, tired "platinum member" joke.

It's not much help to newbies, either.

B.

So it's an inside joke that sounds derogatory to those not in on it?

Nice, real nice... :blink:

From now on, I propose that the definition of "a Canadian attitude" in these forums be that of "a responsible and upstanding member of the geocaching community", since that's how it was used in the context of this discussion. :laughing:

That's a Canadian attitude if I ever heard one.

Okay, I have to ask: what's with the sudden use of "Canadian" to describe types of behaviour? Can you explain what you mean by "a Canadian attitude"? In the context of PP's post, it seems to just describe an attitude of responsibility, so I'm not sure why a specific nation is being singled out. Are we the only ones that feel that others should be responsible for their actions?

It started a while ago, I forget where/which thread, where people seem to be enjoying slamming narcissa for being Canadian.

I forget the whole deal. It's one of those forum things, like the old, tired "platinum member" joke.

It's not much help to newbies, either.

B.

It's fascinating that I am apparently the centre of this "joke" but I didn't even realize that. Awesome.

I guess this isn't the getting started forum. OK, then the off-on-a-tangent over whose posts are rude is OK :unsure:

The Canadian thing started where someone called narcissa rude in another thread and I replied that maybe she was just Canadian. I meant it as compliment that Canadians aren't afraid to say what they think (even if not always politically correct). But now it's a joke that Canadians are rude. In any case there's been enough calling people rude in this thread. So I'll be quiet before Keystone sends me to the penalty box. (It makes sense that Canadians would like a sport with a penalty box).

(It makes sense that Canadians would like a sport with a penalty box).

To be fair, what we like is a sport where you can haul back and punch someone in the face, and the only consequence is five minutes in the penalty box.

Not in college hockey. Fighting in college hockey often results in a game disqualification which means they'll immediately head the locker room and can't play the following game either. I find it interesting that in general the Canadian University/College hockey teams are much worse then the U.S. team, because all the good Canadian hockey players are recruited to U.S. universities. Although most of the players for the men's hockey teams that competed in the last winter olympics were professional players, pretty much all of the womens teams players were made up of college players, including four current and recently graduated Cornell women's hockey team players that helped the Canadian team win the gold medal.

Not in college hockey. Fighting in college hockey often results in a game disqualification which means they'll immediately head the locker room and can't play the following game either. I find it interesting that in general the Canadian University/College hockey teams are much worse then the U.S. team, because all the good Canadian hockey players are recruited to U.S. universities. Although most of the players for the men's hockey teams that competed in the last winter olympics were professional players, pretty much all of the womens teams players were made up of college players, including four current and recently graduated Cornell women's hockey team players that helped the Canadian team win the gold medal.

1. University sports in Canada aren't a big deal, at all.

2. In Canada, the truly *good* players play Major Junior in the CHL and aren't eligible to play in the NCAA. Some of them play CIL after their junior careers, but many of them opt for ECHL teams or the Euro leagues instead (if they don't make it to the AHL or the NHL).

3. Canadian hockey fans generally ignore the NCAA in favour of Major Junior or even Junior A.

4. Development opportunities for women in hockey are pretty weak and I think the NCAA is probably the best of a crop of options that I wish were better. There just isn't the fanbase to support good junior or pro hockey for women in most places.

5. International hockey tournaments inject needless nationalism into the game. Many countries produce great players and Canadian junior fans are really lucky because we get to see the best of them before they hit it big. Club before country.

Edited by narcissa

Log it and move on. Most CO dont double check thier logs. Only controlling CO that got too much time on thier hands do double check people logs.

I have no comment on whether COs check logs, but I consider that irrelevant because there's absolutely no reason to log a find on a cache where you could not sign the log. The value of filing such a find on-line is zero, so why bother, regardless of how few COs you think will notice and then have to go to the trouble of deleting it?

Let me just say that you were right to not claim a find and you were also right to ask in the forum about it.

And you get to learn something about ice hockey as well.

Speaking of ice hockey, I thought the national costume for Canada in Miss Universe was just awesome. Someone definitely has a sense of humor.

Let me just say that you were right to not claim a find and you were also right to ask in the forum about it.

Speaking of ice hockey, I thought the national costume for Canada in Miss Universe was just awesome. Someone definitely has a sense of humor.

That was awesome.

Bringing this back on topic, an old hockey stick can easily be fashioned into a retrieval device for those hard-to-reach caches.

2. In Canada, the truly *good* players play Major Junior in the CHL and aren't eligible to play in the NCAA. Some of them play CIL after their junior careers, but many of them opt for ECHL teams or the Euro leagues instead (if they don't make it to the AHL or the NHL).

3. Canadian hockey fans generally ignore the NCAA in favour of Major Junior or even Junior A.

But they still root for the Canadian women's hockey team that was primarily made up of NCAA players. The truly "smart" players get an education at a good university while playing hockey so that they have something to fall back on if the don't make it to a professional league. BTW, the #3 ranked team in the NCAA is Harvard. Cornell beat them last Friday night with a winning goal in the last 40 seconds. The weekend before I traveled to Albany to see Cornell play Union and RPI. Cornell beat Union, last years national champion 5-1. There was a cache in the parking lot of the hotel I stayed at but from the listing it sounded like it was a LPC. I didn't bother walking the 150 feet or so across the parking lot to get it.

Our league championship series is going to be in Lake Placid this year at Herb Brooks Arena. I'd love to do a geocaching hockey weekend there, even if Cornell doesn't make it to the semi-finals. That's the arena where the "Miracle on Ice" game occurred in the 1980 olympics when the U.S. beat Russia.

But they still root for the Canadian women's hockey team that was primarily made up of NCAA players. The truly "smart" players get an education at a good university while playing hockey so that they have something to fall back on if the don't make it to a professional league. BTW, the #3 ranked team in the NCAA is Harvard. Cornell beat them last Friday night with a winning goal in the last 40 seconds. The weekend before I traveled to Albany to see Cornell play Union and RPI. Cornell beat Union, last years national champion 5-1. There was a cache in the parking lot of the hotel I stayed at but from the listing it sounded like it was a LPC. I didn't bother walking the 150 feet or so across the parking lot to get it.

Our league championship series is going to be in Lake Placid this year at Herb Brooks Arena. I'd love to do a geocaching hockey weekend there, even if Cornell doesn't make it to the semi-finals. That's the arena where the "Miracle on Ice" game occurred in the 1980 olympics when the U.S. beat Russia.

Yes, you missed my point that NCAA is best for women's hockey development because there are virtually no other established good quality leagues and you also missed the part where I'm not big on nationalism in sports. I don't watch women's hockey much because I prefer a more physical game than it offers, and I actually think ringette is a better sport for women.

For men's hockey, NCAA is a solid option for decent players who know they aren't ever going to play pro.

The CHL, which offers players scholarships (1 year of hockey = 1 year of university paid for) is the better option for players who still hope to go pro but want to hedge their bets. They come out of it with unmatched hockey experience, and university paid for.

And they can fight.

And they can all use their hockey sticks to reach high caches in the off-season.

Cicadas or Stanley Cup, which is the better hair accessory?