Hey Gang, How About a Philadelphia / Southern Jersey Get Together??

MTGoldWing

This is just a thought.

If you frequent the Philadelphia /Southern Jersey area geocache sites, how about actually meeting the people you see log book entries from?

Yea, I know, I have a GREAT command of the English language!

We often see the same handles in the log entries, and also have enjoyed all the caches that have been placed by the likes of Tniegel, etc.

Now of course, this type of thing may already have happened and we just didn't know about it. But if it hasn't what do y'all think?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Tim and Maria

(MTGoldwing)

I think this is splendid idea. Setting up an event (multi)cache would be a good thing to combine with this.

I have seen other areas do this and it looks like a good time. Of course, the longer this waits, the colder it becomes.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I'm originally from the Philly area, now Northern VA, and still go up to visit family and hit a couple caches while I'm up there. I'm planning a hike in the Wharton Forest area on Nov 23rd.

I would suggest a hike along the Batona Trail. It's 50.2 miles long, has some interesting sights (Batsto Village and the Carranza Monument) and there are already some caches along it.

The Batona Trail crosses several roads. You can hike it in various lenghts and shuttle cars between. If you go to the Carranzza Memorial you can get three quick caches from there and hike part of the trail. You can do all that with less than a 5 mile hike. Or start at Batsto Village and hike out to three, or more, caches and hike back. I think you can do all that with only a 5 - 10 mile hike. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Goblin:

If you go to the Carranzza Memorial you can get three quick caches from there and hike part of the trail.

I almost got stuck back there. There is some very soft sand coming up from the Furnace.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

Goblin, I thought you were asking us to hike the whole Trail!

I've done parts of the Trail, and did an Outdoors Club cleanup behind the Carranza Memorial. (Some wingnut dumped a sofa on the side of a crossing road, right in front of a cleanup crew!)

Are there any sections of the Trail that don't have caches yet? I thought maybe we could each bring an item or two, and plant a cache together.

Anyone...?

I was up north (from VA) the weekend of Nov 22 and did a few caches in the Wharton State Park. Hence had the opportunity to hike part of the Batona Trail. This is one SUPER SUPER trail. Being from VA, we have 1/4 of the applachia here but this NJ trail is quite nice. I think overall it is well maintained, covers various types of terrain and is scenic. I would not mind participating in an event on this trail. Best time would be in the spring of 2003. icon_biggrin.gif