Creating a stamp to log cache faster

McLov'n

Heyo!

I saw a stamp log in a cache the other day that was a simple rectangle with the team name, and a ___/___ /___ for writing in the date fast.

Does anyone have experience with a reliable one? I don't want to spend 20 bucks on some of the ones I have found on google. I am okay spending some money if I will get a better result. I know some say it takes away from the log but its just mean to sign simple logs, if the cache has space for a story or more writing I will do it by hand anyways.

Just wanted to see what people thought or have been doing. A search of the forums did not show to much but I may have used the wrong combo of words.

Thanks in advance!

Some do it, mainly "high numbers cachers," but I never saw the point of it. If you can use the stamp for other purposes, too, then it's not like you're laying out the $ just for the game.

Writing even my name out 100 times gets really tiring. If I was a high number cacher I'd have no problem paying $50 or more for a stamp, but with not even a third of my city cleared it's not worth it.or if you have some kind of cool design or logo for your signature. But even 500 caches a year, paying $50 that only paying 10 cents per cache. I guess it's really up to the individual if they'll use it enough to justify the cost.

I got a custom XStamper - the N30. It's self inking, well built, and not too expensive. I could customize it with an image. I don't use it much though. It takes more time than simply pulling out a pen from my jeans pocket. And if I'm going to date it with my pen anyway, there really is not much point in that.

Occasionally, I'd find a letterbox, and that's when I'm glad I have a stamp with me :)

I notice that many who use stamps usually :

• Stamp for a group of people
  • Don't bother with dates

If you stamp for more than one person, there is some savings in time, compared to passing the logsheet around.

If I ever go on a power trail, I'll have a custom dating stamper made.

I use a Maxstamp M10 and have stamped probably 10000 logs with it. It's self inking and I've only change the ink pad twice in 6 or 7 years of caching with it. I got it made at Staples, which I believe is the same as Office Depot in the USA. It was around $20.

If you don't want anything too fancy you can get a "Trodat printy 4911". It comes with the letters and numbers and you put them on yourself. They are around $30. You can put your name and the date on them if you like. You can put 6 lines of characters on it. I've used them. Same design as the M10, self inking, etc.

Not to get off topic, but I haven't dated logs in years. I will put the date/time on a FTF but that's about it. Waste of log space if you ask me.

I use a Maxstamp M10 and have stamped probably 10000 logs with it. It's self inking and I've only change the ink pad twice in 6 or 7 years of caching with it. I got it made at Staples, which I believe is the same as Office Depot in the USA. It was around $20.

If you don't want anything too fancy you can get a "Trodat printy 4911". It comes with the letters and numbers and you put them on yourself. They are around $30. You can put your name and the date on them if you like. You can put 6 lines of characters on it. I've used them. Same design as the M10, self inking, etc.

Not to get off topic, but I haven't dated logs in years. I will put the date/time on a FTF but that's about it. Waste of log space if you ask me.

Does the M10 allow you to use your own graphics, or is it text only?

I don't think there's anything wrong with not dating your logs, though "waste of log space" is a strange argument for not doing it when you're using a stamp :) Most stamps I've seen use up 2 to 3 lines in the logsheet without the date.

Most stamps I've seen use up 2 to 3 lines in the logsheet without the date.

So true. A pet peeve of mine actually - just like people stamping the log sideways taking up 10 lines.

My M10 is a single line of text with a small graphic at the beginning of my caching name. It takes up a single line and fits perfectly on a standard micro log sheet.

Edited by goldsy

My M10 is a single line of text with a small graphic at the beginning of my caching name. It takes up a single line and fits perfectly on a standard micro log sheet.

Thanks for the info! So your stamp only use 1 of the ~3 lines of text that can be fit onto it?

Correct. I got it made that way as to not chew up a bunch of space on micro logs.

We have stamps we use for my daughter and our finds. Takes up 2 lines. We use it but only when the log has the space. With micros seeming to be the prominent caches we find in our rv travels we have not used it in a bit. Bought it online from somewhere we found on here for $20 maybe. It has a spot for date and find #.

I have a stamp that takes up a 3/8" circle. Probably takes up less area than most signatures but it does encroach on a bit of the next line. The Maxstamp 10 stamp area is 9/16" - one line takes up 3/16", or half the height of my stamp. I still don't think it is faster than just writing your name down (especially when your username is short, unlike mine :))

Do you carry a small clipboard or some kind of flat surface when you're stamping logsheets?

I still don't think it is faster than just writing your name down (especially when your username is short, unlike mine :))

Do you carry a small clipboard or some kind of flat surface when you're stamping logsheets?

I live in Eastern Canada, pens freeze here. LOL.

I don't carry anything, I just use my leg or hold the log sheet against the container.

Guess I don't really understand the "need for speed". It takes me maybe five to ten seconds to sign and date the log (depending on conditions like log size, dampness, weather, availability of a writing surface, etc.). A stamp might shave a whole two seconds off that? For a power trail...maybe. Otherwise, I can't see it being a great help.

Guess I don't really understand the "need for speed". It takes me maybe five to ten seconds to sign and date the log (depending on conditions like log size, dampness, weather, availability of a writing surface, etc.). A stamp might shave a whole two seconds off that? For a power trail...maybe. Otherwise, I can't see it being a great help.

+1

I use a stamp with my handle and a small oak tree on the end. It is one line, takes up little space, and I can use the handle only (no tree) by positioning it properly. I have found it very useful because it can print on wet/moist log sheets very well. I can stamp it using my leg as a backing without tearing damaging the log paper (especially when it is wet). I usually add a date if there is room above or below on the line (usually plenty of space). Have a team stamp with four logos on it...it is round and takes two lines, but counts for four of us.

doc73 and Uncle Alaska - do you remember the model of your stamp? Thanks.

I had mine made online (rubberstamps.net)...model= trodat printy 4910. When I was designing online with their tools, I just left the second line blank. Added a shadow figure of an oak tree at the end of the first line. It has a removeable ink pad cartridge that can be replaced (or you can add more ink to it with a dropper bottle).

Edited by Uncle Alaska

There are a few stamps that I have seen in logs which are definitely too large.

If everyone had big stamps, the poor CO's would be out every week or so needing to replace some of the logs <_<

I very much agree. My stamp is smaller and crisper than my handwriting and easily fits in most log sheet lined paper. Obviously, I use a pen for nano logs, or those sheets too narrow to fit my stamp.

Edited by Uncle Alaska

There are a few stamps that I have seen in logs which are definitely too large.

If everyone had big stamps, the poor CO's would be out every week or so needing to replace some of the logs <_<

I very much agree. My stamp is smaller and crisper than my handwriting and easily fits in most log sheet lined paper. Obviously, I use a pin for nano logs, or those sheets too narrow to fit my stamp.

Glad to hear that Alaska, I was not referring to all stamps.

As with everything, there are some people who consider others, and there are some who just do not care.

I don't understand the point of using a stamp, if you still need a writing implement to write the date in the log book.

Some stamps I've seen completely ruin a log book. The ink runs and bleeds throughout the whole log.

I know that some stamps are quite artistic, but it's the ink that is so often destructive.

B.

I don't understand the point of using a stamp, if you still need a writing implement to write the date in the log book.

Some stamps I've seen completely ruin a log book. The ink runs and bleeds throughout the whole log.

I know that some stamps are quite artistic, but it's the ink that is so often destructive.

B.

If the ink on my stamp starts running then the log is probably ruined anyways since the log is either wet or got wet therefore your pen is probably going to bleed as well depending on the ink. I wouldn't use my stamp on a trashed log because I will not ruin it. So i doubt my stamp will ruin anything.

I will agree the huge ones or the people who place them up and down.. OR the person that use them on a nano or micro log using up entire side. That is annoying!!!

Is it any quicker if you just stamp the outside of the container? :unsure:

No. It's quicker if you just log it as found without bothering to look for the cache.

What's with the passive aggressive snark?

Haha, that would be even quicker. And I would not even need to leave my parents basement!!!

Haha, that would be even quicker. And I would not even need to leave my parents basement!!!

It gets better. Since cache ID is just a number, write a script, find which ones are not locked, and log it as found. On my way to 4 million finds. Eat my dust, Alamogul!

(Warning : trying to access lots of pages with a script (even if not logging) will almost certainly get your account locked by Groundspeak.)

Sorry for the off topic. Thanks for the info on your stamp. Looks like we have 3 different models so far :

Maxstamp M10         9/16" x 1-1/2"
Trodat Printy 4910   3/8"  x 1-1/32"
Stamp Mouse 20       9/16" x 1-1/2"
Colop Printer 10     3/8"  x 1-1/16"

(Edit to add Colop)

Edited by Chrysalides

It gets better. Since cache ID is just a number, write a script, find which ones are not locked, and log it as found. On my way to 4 million finds. Eat my dust, Alamogul!

(Warning : trying to access lots of pages with a script (even if not logging) will almost certainly get your account locked by Groundspeak.)

Sorry for the off topic. Thanks for the info on your stamp. Looks like we have 3 different models so far :

Maxstamp M10         9/16" x 1-1/2"
Trodat Printy 4910   3/8"  x 1-1/32"
Stamp Mouse 20       9/16" x 1-1/2"

Here's a few shots of my stamp and stamper if it helps.. I could not find a ruler so a quarter hopefully will do for size comparisons..

20150127_125558.jpg

20150127_125619.jpg

I have one of these:

Printer 10

A little more pricey than some options, but not really by much when comparing to other options in Canada. It included the graphic design of my logo by professional graphic designers and geocachers.

I don't use it on nanos or micros, but I will use it on anything with an actual logbook. I also still write more than just my name and the date in logbooks, so usually use up a whole page in a small logbook with text and my stamp. I don't have a signature item that I leave, so my stamp in the log is what I leave.

f6ac10da-7f56-46d2-9fc9-30915b98d465.jpg

I personally like when people use stamps and stickers in our logbooks. We always leave logbooks (not sheets) in our caches and hope that people will write a little something or leave an interesting signatures. Makes it fun to look through the full logbooks.

I used this hand carved stamp for a while. a6689922-1679-47dd-a985-2e8d3b2a2e04.jpg. Still use it occasionally when I'm in the mood, especially when I find a letterbox hybrid with a hand carved stamp. It's definitely a lot more work than just scrawling a quick signature. But hand carved stamps are cheap cheap cheap if you have a steady enough hand to carve into an eraser with an #11 exacto.

I would have have the hand or the patience to make a hand carved stamp on an eraser!!! Good on you!! Looks good, but I am curious, How big of an eraser did you use? Like a #2 pencil or larger??

Oooo, a pencil tip eraser is way too small for me. I usually use 2" white vinyl erasers from the dollar store. My stamp is only about 1"x1". My eyesight isn't all that great. so I use a magnifier light. If you use the pencil transfer technique you can draw on tracing paper, then place it face down on the eraser, rub the back of the paper with a quarter to transfer the pencil carbon on to the eraser, then carve. If you are going to carve words, definitely use the tracing paper technique (don't write directly on the stamp) because the letters you carve need to be mirror image in order to be correct when you ink up the stamp and stamp it.

Here's a youtube video (the image is a bit daunting but it shows how to cut the vinyl/rubber material with a blade. Notice how the letters and numbers are backwards):

I use a stamp only because I have terrible penmanship. You can get a self inking stamp at staples for like $20 and design it there on the spot.

I have terrible penmenship as well. And sometimes I get the date wrong. But I figure there can't be that many Chsquigglesomething in the logs :)

I enjoyed seeing the stamps created by users in this thread. Hope more people will post their stamp design. Mine's kinda boring - it's a 3/8" circle and is the ancient Chinese image character in my profile. Pretty much no one knows what it is :) which is part of the reason I don't use it much. I think I used it twice in 2014 - and once was because I found a letterbox by accident.