Multi Logging Question

jdcb

I know the requirement to log the final stage of the cache. But I'm thinking of making a 5/5 multi, but I don't want to do a bunch of stages for 1 person to do it then hand out the cords to the final stage to everyone. Is it allowed to request more then one stage have a signed logsheet?

I know the requirement to log the final stage of the cache. But I'm thinking of making a 5/5 multi, but I don't want to do a bunch of stages for 1 person to do it then hand out the cords to the final stage to everyone. Is it allowed to request more then one stage have a signed logsheet?

Meh, those people are only cheating themselves. I think you'll find that any geocacher worthy of your regard will appreciate completing the cache on their own, and the others are just fodder for future ridicule.

Meh, those people are only cheating themselves. I think you'll find that any geocacher worthy of your regard will appreciate completing the cache on their own, and the others are just fodder for future ridicule.

I wouldn't do a 5/5 cache that required visiting several locations by getting final coordinates from someone, because I play the game with integrity. I really don't care if some other geocacher considers to me to be worthy of their regard.

I wouldn't do a 5/5 cache that required visiting several locations by getting final coordinates from someone, because I play the game with integrity. I really don't care if some other geocacher considers to me to be worthy of their regard.

Not relevant. As a cache owner, would worry about "cheating" dissuade you from hiding a cache?

I can't imagine all that many people trading coordinates but on the otherhand, maybe we're just lucky down here. The PAF system is in place but even that doesn't get utilized too often in our area. That being said, both happen from time to time. You just have to realize that no matter what you do, people sometimes cheat to get the outcome they think they deserve.

As a CO with some challenging caches, i understand your concern. I don't have a problem with anyone being resourceful but i'd be a bit annoyed if i found that coordinates were being handed out by a previous finder. But it's something that i already know can happen so i've made my mind up not to worry about it unless it happened to get really out of hand.

I don't believe GC.com would allow you to have an additional logsheet. That would be an ALR which is no longer allowed.

Not relevant. As a cache owner, would worry about "cheating" dissuade you from hiding a cache?

Irritating yes, but not dissuade me from hiding. I don't spend my days worrying about what others do or think. That's why I only hit these forums a couple times a month.

Irritating yes, but not dissuade me from hiding.

Honestly, I think you'll have more fun if you try to see it as amusing rather than irritating. If you can't get to amused, try having pity on someone that doesn't know how to enjoy a good multicache. Being irritated just seems like a waste of time.

That seems like something of a hair split: having integrity but not caring if others think you do?

Not sure how getting coordinates from a previous finder is cheating as there is no rule against it.

Depends if you play the geocaching game competitively or not. If you are into filling grids and your multis were obtained by skipping all the stages and only finding the final, then some might consider your grid filling was obtained dishonestly.

But more importantly you're missing out on the experience the cache owner was trying to provide. You may however 'cheat' the cache owner out of a favorite point or at least a log that expresses your experience at stage 1 (or subsequent stages) because you didn't see the excellent first/second stage(s) which would have impressed you enough to reward a smiley.

Depends if you play the geocaching game competitively or not.

So it's really between the geocachers who have agreed to compete with each other and has nothing to do with the cache owner.

It plays out on at least a couple of levels. Between competitive geocachers it can be seen as cheating, and it cheats the cache owners. Some people want the smiley more than the great caching experience. Happened to me this weekend. A large group of power cachers descended upon the city with a goal of finding about 50 caches, 1/3 of them multis. They achieved their goal. My guess is someone had the coordinates to each of the final stages for all the multis they had to get through that day. Not one person mentioned the unique first stage. Everyone else who did it individually laughed about the first stage. The cache had a 80% FP rating. Now it's down to 28%. So I've felt the sting of those that don't do a multi as it was intended.

Depends if you play the geocaching game competitively or not.

So it's really between the geocachers who have agreed to compete with each other and has nothing to do with the cache owner.

It plays out on at least a couple of levels. Between competitive geocachers it can be seen as cheating, and it cheats the cache owners. Some people want the smiley more than the great caching experience. Happened to me this weekend. A large group of power cachers descended upon the city with a goal of finding about 50 caches, 1/3 of them multis. They achieved their goal. My guess is someone had the coordinates to each of the final stages for all the multis they had to get through that day. Not one person mentioned the unique first stage. Everyone else who did it individually laughed about the first stage. The cache had a 80% FP rating. Now it's down to 28%. So I've felt the sting of those that don't do a multi as it was intended.

That's your guess.

My guess is that regardless of the logistics, those cachers didn't spend much time on their logging or assigning points.

Hide one regular and multiple Unknowns. First regular has coords or clues to Unknown#1. Unknown#1 has coords/clues to Unknown#2, etc. They get a smiley for each "stage" and it cuts down on just sharing coords to the final and skipping the intermediate stages.

People can just as easily share those coordinates. It doesn't cut down on anything except multis, which are my favourite cache type. :(

Hide one regular and multiple Unknowns. First regular has coords or clues to Unknown#1. Unknown#1 has coords/clues to Unknown#2, etc. They get a smiley for each "stage" and it cuts down on just sharing coords to the final and skipping the intermediate stages.

Current guidelines for Bonus Caches: "Generally, clues for a bonus geocache should not be placed in another bonus geocache"

https://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277

You can request it, but you can't enforce it by deleting on-line logs of people who don't.

You can, however, explicitly note on the cache page cachers who have signed the log sheets from each stage.

Current guidelines for Bonus Caches: "Generally, clues for a bonus geocache should not be placed in another bonus geocache"

Since they would be published on GC.com, I don't think they would be Bonus Caches. The full text of the cited paragraph is:

Clues to the bonus geocache location (often coordinates, or partial coordinates in several geocaches) are hidden in one or more other geocaches. Generally, clues for a bonus geocache should not be placed in another bonus geocache, and the bonus geocache belongs to the owner of the geocaches where clues are found.

There would be no need to define ownership if the caches are published. In any case, the paragraph could better define the cache type.

Not sure how getting coordinates from a previous finder is cheating as there is no rule against it.

You're thinking that all rules concerning a cache are defined by Groundspeak, but you're wrong: GS defines an infrastructure within which cache owners define the rules for finding their caches. That puts the CO -- and anyone else that thinks the CO's being fair -- in a position to consider it cheating to violate a CO defined rule even when the rule cannot be enforced by not allowing a find to be posted online.

Honestly, I think you'll have more fun if you try to see it as amusing rather than irritating. If you can't get to amused, try having pity on someone that doesn't know how to enjoy a good multicache. Being irritated just seems like a waste of time.

That seems like something of a hair split: having integrity but not caring if others think you do?

I don't think it' a hair split. I play the game based on my own sense of integrity and morals. The statement that "any geocacher worthy of your regard " implies that how one plays the game is based on being "worthy" in the eyes of some judgemental geocacher, and that is what I disagree with.

I don't think it' a hair split. I play the game based on my own sense of integrity and morals. The statement that "any geocacher worthy of your regard " implies that how one plays the game is based on being "worthy" in the eyes of some judgemental geocacher, and that is what I disagree with.

It certainly is a hair split and a willful, disingenuous misunderstanding. My very clear meaning is that a cache owner should not worry about those taking shortcuts, and should instead think more positively of those who will do the cache the intended way and enjoy it.

You're thinking that all rules concerning a cache are defined by Groundspeak, but you're wrong: GS defines an infrastructure within which cache owners define the rules for finding their caches. That puts the CO -- and anyone else that thinks the CO's being fair -- in a position to consider it cheating to violate a CO defined rule even when the rule cannot be enforced by not allowing a find to be posted online.

How can it be a rule if there is no mechanism to enforce it, and setting the rule is, in fact, against the rules?

It certainly is a hair split and a willful, disingenuous misunderstanding. My very clear meaning is that a cache owner should not worry about those taking shortcuts, and should instead think more positively of those who will do the cache the intended way and enjoy it.

How can it be a rule if there is no mechanism to enforce it, and setting the rule is, in fact, against the rules?

The mechanism to enforce the CO's rules is people thinking you're cheating. Nothing enforces the rules of solitaire, but they're still rules, and I'll still say you're cheating if I see you pull a card out of the pack.

It's not against Groundspeak's rules for the CO to say "do this if you don't want people to think you're cheating". It's only against Groundspeak's rules to say "do this or I'll delete your find." If you cache only to increase you find count, you might not be able to see the difference.

Oh, I understand now. You assume you're the only one with integrity, so you don't care what the rest of us think. I assume almost everyone has integrity, so when I say someone's "worthy of your regard", I mean that you'll be able to recognize that they have integrity, too. I wouldn't consider whether the person I was talking to was judgmental, let alone assume it was likely.

I think we are all just reading to far into this.... I could just find the CO's cache on GC.Com and sign the log as a find evendors if I've never been there. Sure he could check the log and find but actually does that? Some people will always cheat, it is human nature to feel entitled. It is also human nature to always want to win and have approval by ones peers. I get that through my integrity and ethics like most other cachers. Some will always look for the easy way, unfortunately. That would never deter me from enjoying what I do or place. I'm sure there are a few cheaters out there, a FEW.

The mechanism to enforce the CO's rules is people thinking you're cheating. Nothing enforces the rules of solitaire, but they're still rules, and I'll still say you're cheating if I see you pull a card out of the pack.

It's not against Groundspeak's rules for the CO to say "do this if you don't want people to think you're cheating". It's only against Groundspeak's rules to say "do this or I'll delete your find." If you cache only to increase you find count, you might not be able to see the difference.

I cache for personal enjoyment. If someone "cheats" by skipping multi stages or sharing puzzle solutions, it has zero impact on me. There is no reason for me to care, or call it cheating. They aren't gaining any sort of advantage, and they aren't taking something from someone else. It's not cheating... it's just nothing.

Solitaire is a good example, in a way, because WHY on EARTH would you watch someone else play solitaire and complain that they are cheating?

Edited by narcissa

I am a c/o of a 5 stage multi. You don't have to show the location of the final stage. If u look at mine (GC5HACT) I have moved the final location into the middle of a lake. just edit Edit waypoints and move the final Location. I kept mine with in the area. I also put a combo lock on the final. each stage u will get a piece of the combo and have to sign a stage log. I walk my cache once a week to check on it and because each stage is unique and is a completely different hide. I do check the logs and I have found some location and combo sharing I stated in my cache page you must find each stage and sign the log to keep the smiley it's a multi cache. If u want to find a traditional there are enuff out there.I notice most cachers are honest and don't cheat.

IMHO if you are getting angry about how other cachers happen to find your cache maybe cache ownership is not for you.

As soon as you put a cache out it's out of your control, enjoy the great logs and ignore the rest.

Usually those types of finds come from people who would not do your cache otherwise so does it really matter?

Oh, I understand now. You assume you're the only one with integrity, so you don't care what the rest of us think. I assume almost everyone has integrity, so when I say someone's "worthy of your regard", I mean that you'll be able to recognize that they have integrity, too. I wouldn't consider whether the person I was talking to was judgmental, let alone assume it was likely.

Integrity is honesty and strong moral principal, I have found many multis while with a friend that previously found it, puzzles too, to me it's not breaking any rules thus not cheating and I stand by that.

Hypocrisy on the other hand is the opposite so I hope none of you that think being given final coordinates is cheating if you've ever used PAF, got help with a puzzle from someone other than the CO, not climbed the tree and logged a tree cache or had someone else sign a log for you, that would be hypocritical.

Edited by Roman!

If someone "cheats" by skipping multi stages or sharing puzzle solutions, it has zero impact on me.

Roman! didn't understand how it would be cheating, so I explained to him. I didn't mean to imply that anyone had to care about the cheating. I don't care, for example, and I've been known to take liberties myself. But I still recognize it as cheating, just as I recognize it as cheating when I pull a card out of the pack in solitaire.

If someone "cheats" by skipping multi stages or sharing puzzle solutions, it has zero impact on me.

Roman! didn't understand how it would be cheating, so I explained to him. I didn't mean to imply that anyone had to care about the cheating. I don't care, for example, and I've been known to take liberties myself. But I still recognize it as cheating, just as I recognize it as cheating when I pull a card out of the pack in solitaire.

Big difference, solitaire has a rules and that is cheating, the point of a multi or puzzle is to get to the final coordinates and sign the logbook, no rules stipulate how you get there hence not cheating.

the point of a multi or puzzle is to get to the final coordinates and sign the logbook,

Definitely that's not the point most hiders of such caches have in mind. It's just the only enforcable requirement.

I have not hidden a single cache to offer a further container to be found by cachers who do not care at all about

all what the cache is about.

I wasn't going to follow up any more on this thread drift but since you so grossly misinterpreted what I said I felt I must.

When I wrote, "I play the game based on my own sense of integrity and morals." that does not mean, in any way, that I assume that I am the only with integrity. I doesn't suggest that my sense of integrity is more rigid than anyone elses. When someones suggests that I should play the game in manner that is worthy of their regard, then it suggest that I should play the game according to their standards of integrity. If they hold me beneath their regard, they're not only being judgmental, but they're also assuming that I should care if they consider me beneath their regard.

Okay, feel free to have the last word.

I am a c/o of a 5 stage multi. You don't have to show the location of the final stage. If u look at mine (GC5HACT) I have moved the final location into the middle of a lake. just edit Edit waypoints and move the final Location. I kept mine with in the area. I also put a combo lock on the final. each stage u will get a piece of the combo and have to sign a stage log. I walk my cache once a week to check on it and because each stage is unique and is a completely different hide. I do check the logs and I have found some location and combo sharing I stated in my cache page you must find each stage and sign the log to keep the smiley it's a multi cache. If u want to find a traditional there are enuff out there.I notice most cachers are honest and don't cheat.

FYI, if I came and did your multicache, I could choose to NOT sign the stages (an ALR, which isn't allowed to log a find). When you delete my find, I could appeal to Groundspeak and get my find reinstated.

EDIT: Final is not at the location shown? Make the final waypoint hidden; you don't have to show all the waypoints on the listing.

Edited by TriciaG

When someones suggests that I should play the game in manner that is worthy of their regard

Good news, nobody was suggesting that.

Again, the very clear point was that the cache owner should *disregard* people who play that way because they aren't worth of regard, i.e. they should simply be ignored.

Since that kind of so-called "cheating" has no impact on others, there is no reason to suggest that they modify their behaviour, nor should a cache owner modify their own caches to thwart them.

FYI, if I came and did your multicache, I could choose to NOT sign the stages (an ALR, which isn't allowed to log a find). When you delete my find, I could appeal to Groundspeak and get my find reinstated.

+1

I agree. Apparently no one's tested that out yet. I would. :)

Wording on the cache page doesn't sound like you require each stage to be signed, probably why it didn't get an extra "fix this" email before published by the Reviewer.

Since they would be published on GC.com, I don't think they would be Bonus Caches. The full text of the cited paragraph is:

Clues to the bonus geocache location (often coordinates, or partial coordinates in several geocaches) are hidden in one or more other geocaches. Generally, clues for a bonus geocache should not be placed in another bonus geocache, and the bonus geocache belongs to the owner of the geocaches where clues are found.

There would be no need to define ownership if the caches are published. In any case, the paragraph could better define the cache type.

From the above quoted example ...

Cache A (traditional, contains coords for Cache B )

Cache B (unknown, contains coords for Cache C )

Cache C (unknown, contains coords for Cache D )

etc ...

All published on geocaching.com

Caches B, C, D, etc. would be "Bonus" caches.

The owner / ownership refers to the listed cache owner.

Edited by derektiffany

You are right. What the cache owner could do however if he visits the stages and the typically once a week, is changing the solutions and the combination each week (or at irregular intervals). That would significantly cut down on the number of cachers who just get the final combination from someone else.

You are right. What the cache owner could do however if he visits the stages and the typically once a week, is changing the solutions and the combination each week (or at irregular intervals). That would significantly cut down on the number of cachers who just get the final combination from someone else.

...or just say in the description that he will. The uncertainty will be a factor.

...or just say in the description that he will. The uncertainty will be a factor.

Sounds like a fix, but the difficulty's already a 4.

If folks can't complete all stages in a day (depending on the difficulty...), it's possible they'd have to start from scratch maybe just a week later?

If folks can't complete all stages in a day (depending on the difficulty...), it's possible they'd have to start from scratch maybe just a week later?

No perfect solution. Them's the breaks!

Big difference, solitaire has a rules and that is cheating, the point of a multi or puzzle is to get to the final coordinates and sign the logbook, no rules stipulate how you get there hence not cheating.

Again, it's the CO's rules that are being subverted by the cheat, not the GS rule about signing the logbook.

No perfect solution. Them's the breaks!

Correct. That's what the ignore's for. :)

What the cache owner could do however if he visits the stages and the typically once a week, is changing the solutions and the combination each week (or at irregular intervals). That would significantly cut down on the number of cachers who just get the final combination from someone else.

Yes, not many people will attempt 5/5s, so that gives the cache owner plenty of time to do that between visits.

I would also recommend leaving a bison tube behind in the old final location with the coords for stage 1. ;)

Cache A (traditional, contains coords for Cache B )

Cache B (unknown, contains coords for Cache C )

Cache C (unknown, contains coords for Cache D )

etc ...

All published on geocaching.com

Caches B, C, D, etc. would be "Bonus" caches.

The owner / ownership refers to the listed cache owner.

They are puzzle/unknown/mystery caches.

Why specify who the owner is? On all published caches the owner is shown on the listing page. The ONLY reason to specify the owner is because there is no listing page for a bonus cache.