On a Scale of 1 to 10, this is a Zero, but still Annoying.

OK, I flew from LA to Hong Kong, and logged some awesome caches in Hong Kong and Macau earlier this month.

Took my backpack, which has a trackable, called Réd's Backpack. I know, pretty original.

However, the line on the map shows me going EAST across the globe.

Of course, I went west.

Anyway to correct?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d331288c-e50c-4d29-a759-d85f86ca4036

I guess you could dip the coins in caches along the route and it would route perfectly. Don't have to log a find a note should do. I personally wouldn't delete a note like that(a find I wod delete instantly), but others might. There's also a chance if deleted, it would route in the same direction. Just a thought anyway.

I guess you could dip the coins in caches along the route and it would route perfectly. Don't have to log a find a note should do. I personally wouldn't delete a note like that(a find I wod delete instantly), but others might. There's also a chance if deleted, it would route in the same direction. Just a thought anyway.

You can log and delete a note in a cache, and the log in the coin's page will still be there. That's what I typically do if I forget to log a coin into a cache. My note would say "this note will self destruct in 5 seconds".

Edited by Chrysalides

You can log and delete a note in a cache, and the log in the coin's page will still be there.

That's right! The OP should probably ensure that fixes things, before trying it (like, between two of the dips, might the track turn back all the way around the world again?). Because if it takes GS to correct it, the dips just add something to the confusion.

Edited by kunarion

OK, I flew from LA to Hong Kong, and logged some awesome caches in Hong Kong and Macau earlier this month.

Took my backpack, which has a trackable, called Réd's Backpack. I know, pretty original.

However, the line on the map shows me going EAST across the globe.

Of course, I went west.

Anyway to correct?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=d331288c-e50c-4d29-a759-d85f86ca4036

It shows that way on the trackable map BUT the distance it recorded is correct ( about 7,300 miles) so no big deal

I found a trackable once that started its life in Fiji, and when it made the 35 km trip eastward across the 180th meridian, the map showed it as going westward around the world. And when I've taken trackables over the Pacific from North America to Australia, the map has them going eastward, over the Atlantic Ocean, Africa, and the Indian Ocean. There must be something about that 180th meridian.

I found a trackable once that started its life in Fiji, and when it made the 35 km trip eastward across the 180th meridian, the map showed it as going westward around the world. And when I've taken trackables over the Pacific from North America to Australia, the map has them going eastward, over the Atlantic Ocean, Africa, and the Indian Ocean. There must be something about that 180th meridian.

That's hilarious! Thanks for confirming that the lines will never cross the Pacific.

The world is round, the proof being that if it were flat, looking off into the distance you would be able to see the back of your own head.

I can't see a cache when it is right in front of me. What makes you think I can see the back of my head from around the world? :lol:

The world is round, but scientific consensus is that the universe is flat.