Deleting Logs

GizmoKitty

I have an idea! I think that users should be able to delete logs off their own Geo-caches cause if you discover someone who didn't sign the Geo-cache log but logged the find online or logged a DNF for 10 times then suddenly fount it. One thing that gets annoying to me is that some of my Geo-Caches get a ton of DNF, reviewer notes, and useless comments that I believe you as the Owner should be able to delete logs to clear up some space on your Geo-Cache's log area. I understand there could be many problems affiliated with this but I believe it's a good idea.

If people thought it was important enough to log, then generally I think it's important enough to keep. I don't like the idea that the CO is the only one that can decide whether a particular log is useful. There's lots of information in logs, not jusy finds. DNFs are important even after the log has been found, and probably even more important when there are 10 DNFs followed by a successful find. There's no space limit, so I see no reason to try to keep the log trimmed to save space, even if I thought there was any reasonable way to decide what should be kept and what shouldn't.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the request, but you CAN delete logs from your own geocache pages. Not that you should...but you can. Just be prepared for a bit of an uproar if you go deleting logs unnecessarily.

Invalid or duplicate finds, yes...you can - and probably should - delete those.

Notes? Sure...but it depends on the content.

DNFs? No. I wouldn't delete those...they are a record of the history of visits to the cache and may help future finders.

NM logs? Again, it depends on the content. It won't get rid of the 'red wrench' and the info the log contains may be valuable to future finders.

NA logs? It doesn't matter if you do or don't...the reviewer will see it and may take action on the cache (especially if they see the CO abusing the 'delete' feature).

Edited by J Grouchy

I have an idea! I think that users should be able to delete logs off their own Geo-caches cause if you discover someone who didn't sign the Geo-cache log but logged the find online or logged a DNF for 10 times then suddenly fount it. One thing that gets annoying to me is that some of my Geo-Caches get a ton of DNF, reviewer notes, and useless comments that I believe you as the Owner should be able to delete logs to clear up some space on your Geo-Cache's log area. I understand there could be many problems affiliated with this but I believe it's a good idea.

You can. But I don't think you should in all the cases you mention.

"if you discover someone who didn't sign the Geo-cache log but logged the find online" Yes,delete it.

"logged a DNF for 10 times then suddenly fount it" Leave it, it is part of the cache history as well as the other cacher's history.

"some of my Geo-Caches get a ton of DNF, . . ."See previous

"some of my Geo-Caches get a ton of . . ., reviewer notes" Why do you get a ton of reviewer notes? Leave them as they could be important to others even if they're annoying to you.

"some of my Geo-Caches get a ton of . . . useless comments" If they're really useless, delete them, but if they could be useful to others, leave them.

Edited to add: I just read through the logs on your caches and do not think you should delete any of them unless you know of some in the case of "if you discover someone who didn't sign the Geo-cache log but logged the find online."

As you continue to gain experience with placing caches you will not make the same mistakes that you did with these early ones, and years from now you can look back at these logs and see how much you have improved.

Edited again to remove spam-link (Thanks for the headsup PP)

Edited by NanCycle

Per the guidelines the cache owner is responsible for quality control of all posts to the cache listing and should delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

However, log deletion is a serious matter. While a cache owner may feel that a DNF or needs maintenance log is extraneous and clutters up their cache page, the person writing the log may feel that recording their experience is a valid use of the log. Disputes occur when cache owners delete logs. In some cases Groundspeak may intervene and restore logs. The help center has more infomation here.

Did you not figure out by now that the cache owner CAN delete logs from caches they own?

You might want to know that logs aren't really "deleted". A cacher can challenge you for deleting their legitimate log, and Groundspeak can reinstate it.

How can they do that, if it's "deleted"? B)

And again with the spam? It's not your sig line, it's a link you add in each of your posts. Bad form, indeed.

edited to remove the spammy link in the quoted original post

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

As a CO, I enjoy DNFs on my caches. It means I have a sneaky hide (or find out if the user wants a nudge in the right direction). When I'm looking for a cache, I like seeing them intermixed with Smiley's, it's kind of a way to see just how difficult a cache really is. (I really wish there was a way for the community to rate caches)

Edited by awdemuth