philosophical discussion

MissJenn

quote:
If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that Acme crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?
My coworkers and I have been discussing this topic, and I thought you geocachers* may have some good reaction to this.

Go.

(EDIT: the word geocachers above used to just say "folks here" ... then I read KA's post.)

[This message was edited by MissJenn on October 22, 2003 at 11:40 AM.]

Geocachers spend hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars to find trinkets out in the middle of nowhere, when we could've bought the same items at a Dollar Store.

Wile E. Coyote spends hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars to try to find a roadrunner in the middle of nowhere, when he could've bought one at a coyote restaurant.

Therefore, Wile E. Coyote demonstrates the personality/mentality of the common geocacher. Poor sucker only logged DNF's.

I just needed to state this clearly, such that your thread would not be closed or moderated for being off-topic.

|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|x*x-x|

Keystone Approver, Geocaching.com Admin

"Eschewing Entropy and Ensuring Enthalpy in the Groundspeak Forums"

Ever fish? You go out and buy the best tackle box, dry flies, bamboo rod and cast with the best bought fly fishing reel with the best floating line after driving out in that special off road vehicles you bought and then after you reel in the trout so diligently, so how do you eat it?

You don't! You throw it back in!!!

DUmmmb! Yes?

Alan

Because that would be a really boring cartoon and the ratings would go down and the show would be cancelled and Coyote and Road Runner would lose their jobs and the cartoonists and producers and Warner Brothers executives would lose their jobs too and the stock market would plummet and the economy would go into recession and everybody would be very, very sad.

Johnny

Like geocaching, its all in the hunt.

But while we're on this tangent...

In the theme song they called the mate a "mighty sailing man" and described the bravery and sureness of the skipper and their combined, "corageous" efforts to save SS Minnow when the storm hit. They also referred to their later efforts to make the passengers comfortable after the shipwreck.

In reality, the first mate was a simpleton and a bumbling buffoon and the skipper little better. It was the genius of the professor that made living on that tropic island nest comfortable, rather than any action on part of the crew of the Minnow.

So was the theme song a aggrandizement of the events on that fateful day? Why is there no mention of the fact that Gilligan and the skipper put their passenger's lives at risk by not checking the weather forecast (Which called for possible severe storms, high winds and wave heights over 12 feet) and failing to heed the small craft warnings posted that day? Was it meant to cover up the fact that it was the inefficacy and incompetence of the crew that caused the shipwreck and subsequent stranding of the passengers?

Oh, and to keep this on topic. Do you think a GPS would have prevented the loss of the Minnow?

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 23, 2003 at 05:28 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Quest Master:

Because that would be a really boring cartoon and the ratings would go down and the show would be cancelled and Coyote and Road Runner would lose their jobs and the cartoonists and producers and Warner Brothers executives would lose their jobs too and the stock market would plummet and the economy would go into recession and everybody would be very, very sad.

Johnny

I knew it all along: TV does rule the universe!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Wile E. Coyote spends hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars to try to find a roadrunner in the middle of nowhere, when he could've bought one at a coyote restaurant.

I know it's the journey that should count, but sometimes, when I find a really crappy cache - dare I say: a DPM - I catch myself truly second-guessing this hobby of ours.

... then I go find another one - one that leaves me refreshed and in a totally positive mood - and I'm right back in the game! I'll walk another 3 miles to trade for a sticker I'll never use! icon_biggrin.gif

OFF TOPIC RESPONSE

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Do you think a GPS would have prevented the loss of the Minnow?

No, however in one of those "lost episodes" the professor built one out of a coconut, some of the radio parts, some lint from gingers belly button, one of Mrs Howell's pearls, and some items that felt from the pocket of the Russian spy who ended up on the island in season 2....

ON TOPIC RESPONSE:

How many people have spent umpteen dollars to win some <insert cool item of the moment, probably either Sponge Bob SP stuff or those goofy rastafarian hats> down at the shore...

I personally once spent near $30 on the "softball in the whicker basket" game before it hit me: I JUST BLEW $20!!! (I didnt realize the truth till I got to the car...) I took my third level prize and walked away. I still have it too.

For that matter, the Professor was always building pedal-powered bamboo cars, concocting antidotes for radioactive clam ch***er, and the like. Rather than wasting years in sorry attempts to mimic the claptrap of civilization, why did he not spend a day or two tearing apart the engine of the Minnow and building a simple spark-gap transmitter to send an SOS?

They could have been off that rock by the second episode if he'd shown some common sense as well as sheer genius.

For that matter, didn't the Minnow have a radio?

ON TOPIC: Is there an FRS privacy code for geocachers in the Northeast? If not, then I nominate INT(ATAN(10.0E100)).

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

All the items/supplies utilized by Wile E. Coyote were supplied to him free of charge by his sponsor, ACME, in ACME's attempt to control the emerging market for those items/supplies.

Those damned* marketing people!!

* aka brilliant, devious, and/or sneaky

BasoonPilot's response has me thinking that maybe he was some sort of beta tester. I mean, nothing ever seemed to work like it was supposed to. Of course, I do remember one episode where he specifically mailed out a coupon and waited for it to be delivered, so that would kill that theory.

Maybe it's a depraved version of masochism, in which the coyote feels compelled to continuously put himself into a no-win situation. Surely, with all of his "super-genius" I think if he really wanted to catch the Roadrunner, he would. Therefore, he must be fulfilling some kind of internal need for failure.

------------------------------

Have you had your house checked for Rae Dawn Chong?