Does anyone else keep an eye on benchmarks

LSUFan

As I was driving thru my hometown today, I caught myself relooking at benchmarks I have found previously. I seem to do this a lot on many places I know exactly where the mark is at, when I drive by them. It's like I'm vigilantly watching over them for some reason. Does any other of my fellow benchmarkers do the same, or am I just the freak who needs professional counseling? :rolleyes:

As I was driving thru my hometown today, I caught myself relooking at benchmarks I have found previously. I seem to do this a lot on many places I know exactly where the mark is at, when I drive by them. It's like I'm vigilantly watching over them for some reason. Does any other of my fellow benchmarkers do the same, or am I just the freak who needs professional counseling? :rolleyes:

Surveyors do this all the time!

No, I don't do that. I don't remember where most of them were. There are a couple I walk by from time to time and can see without actually looking, but the most I'd admit to is "remembering them fondly".

It's very similar to geocaches, now that I think about it. Once in a while I'll check on a geocache I found previously because I notice it has a DNF log, and I suppose I might check on a benchmark if I noticed it had a DNF log, but for the most part, I walk past past caches all the time and don't even remember they're there.

I don't think that means you need help, though.

TO my wife's dismay, I constantly point out benchmarks I have hunted for as we drive places. I even watched out the window of a recent Fall rail trip to see any of the ones I spent hours looking for. She does the smart thing and just ignores me.

Yes. I will admit to that. "Benchmark." "Geocache." As we drive around. The problem is those intersection stations in New York City from north Hudson County, New Jersey. The Empire State Building. The Chrysler Building. High Bridge Water Tower. Riverside Cathedral and Grants Tomb. Though I will admit that I do it where ever we drive "Nope. Nobody looking for our cache..." Oh, well. Benchmark on that bridge!

It is a sickness that has no remedy! Our wives just learn to deal with it.